Seller of badassery

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hmm, Iā€™ve always been intrigued by this product, but too many people reporting that all it does is open the throttle up more. i.e. it does nothing for responsiveness, it just does the same thing you could do, manually, by pushing the pedal down further. To wit:

What do you guys who have it think? Especially interested in hearing from manual owners, as Iā€™d think itā€™d be pretty obvious to you if all this thing does is open the throttle more (not faster, just more).

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The Pedal Commander is a throttle sensitivity booster. They make the OE throttle pedal assembly more sensitive to your pedal input and reduces the pedal lag (the amount of time from pedal input to computer reading that input).

These newer drive-by-wire engine have the computer interpreting how much throttle input the engine sees. By installing a sensitivity booster, you are fooling the computer into thinking it is getting the input at a faster rate. so the computer tells the engine to go, NOW.

You could drive around town mashing the pedal to the floor each time, but it will not equal the effect a sensitivity booster has on reducing the lag.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
You could drive around town mashing the pedal to the floor each time, but it will not equal the effect a sensitivity booster has on reducing the lag.
Thank you for this explanation.

I think I would have loved this product on the ā€˜13 Raptor I used to have. The throttle lag on that was insane. So far Iā€™m pretty happy with the stock response in the Jeep, maybe because itā€™s so much better than in the Raptor (no idea if Ford fixed that when they moved to the turbo).

I am still curious about how this thing feels in a manual. I mean, you have to slip the clutch a bit at launch no matter what (at least I do, maybe the race car drivers among us donā€™t). More sensitive throttle during launch seems like it would be moot if oneā€™s clutch work didnā€™t equally compensate; ie more slip.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you for this explanation.

I think I would have loved this product on the ā€˜13 Raptor I used to have. The throttle lag on that was insane. So far Iā€™m pretty happy with the stock response in the Jeep, maybe because itā€™s so much better than in the Raptor (no idea if Ford fixed that when they moved to the turbo).

I am still curious about how this thing feels in a manual. I mean, you have to slip the clutch a bit at launch no matter what (at least I do, maybe the race car drivers among us donā€™t). More sensitive throttle during launch seems like it would be moot if oneā€™s clutch work didnā€™t equally compensate; ie more slip.
I purchased and removed after a couple days. With a manual and the super light flywheel, it was already too sensitive and hard to control. I was hoping it would reduce rev hang but it didn't.

I recently changed to the Centerforce flywheel and clutch and the throttle is much more controllable now.

Things might be totally different with an Automatic, but for 6-speed Jeeps, I didn't personally find it helpful.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Pedal Commander is a throttle sensitivity booster. They make the OE throttle pedal assembly more sensitive to your pedal input and reduces the pedal lag (the amount of time from pedal input to computer reading that input).

These newer drive-by-wire engine have the computer interpreting how much throttle input the engine sees. By installing a sensitivity booster, you are fooling the computer into thinking it is getting the input at a faster rate. so the computer tells the engine to go, NOW.

To clarify, every TPPS (throttle pedal position sensor) I've ever come across has contained 1-3 0-5v sensors inside. As you roll into the throttle the voltage output changes from .5 to 4.5 and the redundant sensors typically move in the opposite direction. Multiple sensors reduce the likelihood of a Toyota like intended acceleration issue.

Throttle modifiers like this take the voltage output of the TPPS and modify it. At 10% throttle the pedal may output 1v to the ECU. The modifier can take that 1v and change it to 4.5v, telling the ECU that you are at WOT 100% throttle pedal instead of the actual 10%.

Is that faster than mashing your foot to the floor? Yeah, it probably shaves a handful of milliseconds off the time. The engine isn't making any more power, it can't rev any quicker, it's simply making your foot a fraction of a second faster.

On a butt dyno it may be impressive. On a prepared track with timing lights, I doubt you would see any metric improve in acceleration, accept maybe your reaction time. Even 0-30 would be near identical and 1/4 mile would be unimproved.

It is a throttle modifier as it claims to be. It's not snake oil, but it's also not magic and it didn't float my personal boat. Others have really really enjoyed it. Personal preference

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
To clarify, every TPPS (throttle pedal position sensor) I've ever come across has contained 1-3 0-5v sensors inside. As you roll into the throttle the voltage output changes from .5 to 4.5 and the redundant sensors typically move in the opposite direction. Multiple sensors reduce the likelihood of a Toyota like intended acceleration issue.

Throttle modifiers like this take the voltage output of the TPPS and modify it. At 10% throttle the pedal may output 1v to the ECU. The modifier can take that 1v and change it to 4.5v, telling the ECU that you are at WOT 100% throttle pedal instead of the actual 10%.

Is that faster than mashing your foot to the floor? Yeah, it probably shaves a handful of milliseconds off the time. The engine isn't making any more power, it can't rev any quicker, it's simply making your foot a fraction of a second faster.

On a butt dyno it may be impressive. On a prepared track with timing lights, I doubt you would see any metric improve in acceleration, accept maybe your reaction time. Even 0-30 would be near identical and 1/4 mile would be unimproved.

It is a throttle modifier as it claims to be. It's not snake oil, but it's also not magic and it didn't float my personal boat. Others have really really enjoyed it. Personal preference

Excellent explanation of how they work!

Agree with them not being snake oil and not being magic either. They are what they do, which is reduce pedal lag. My best analogy is they feel like they add horsepower, but they don't.

Do not agree with the lack of performance claims. It may not make a difference with a manual trans truck, however on an automatic they launch much harder and get up moving much faster. It may not shave seconds off a 0-30 or 1/4 mile time, but the harder/faster launch will definitely improve any stop -> go speed trials.

I've installed three different throttle sensitivity boosters and driven the vehicles hard testing them out. All worked as claimed and all felt a little different.

Pedal Commander: http://www.northridgenation.com/pedal-commander-jeep-jl/

Hypertech React:

Injen X-Pedal - That was on my son's Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 v-6. That really made a huge difference, the Toyota pedal seems way more laggy than the Jeep pedal.