First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Alright all,

I have done some testing, and I can confirm that this is accurate information.

I have a 2018 Sahara that came with the 7" stereo. I purchased a used 8.4 from a forum member with the unlock code. Everything worked as it should, so I thought I was free and clear to install my AP4-CH41 version 2 module (my JLUS did not come with the factory premium sound).

The new AP4-CH41 tricks your Jeep into thinking it has the premium audio set up, and then it takes that clean flat signal, and converts it to either optical or 5 volt RCA outputs. This is where my radio was having issues.

The radio works fine with the module until you shut off the Jeep, and then turn it back on after a couple minutes. The sound for the music shuts off, but the Bluetooth still works for calls, but not Bluetooth music. I called PAC audio, and they said that they had never heard of that issue, and they said that it was probably a bad unit. They sent me a replacement unit, and had me double check my dip switches. Still the same issue. I would have to reset my radio for it to work again, or cycle the Jeeps power sequence by turning it off, opening and closing the door and lock it, wait 10 minutes and turn it on. It was getting annoying.

I still have my old 7", so I installed it back, and everything started working fine. Even the sound was better. No issues at all. I did notice that the power cycle on my 7" was acting different than the 8.4. It would shut off when the Jeep was shut off. That seemed to be the trick to getting it to work. Seems the can-bus system is not talking to the new radio. I took it to the dealer, and they said that for the Jeep to be able to communicate with the screen, they had to add the sales code. They added the code, and everything works flawlessly now.

So FYI......

Also, the AP4 has a setting in the software to set your low volume. It is set way to high from factory. You will have loud music at 1. You need to slide the bar until you can actually silence the radio completely. I hope this helps someone having these issues.
Sponsored