On the fence

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've been eagerly anticipating the release of the Gladiator for about the last 2 years now. I heard rumors of and kept watching for it. I eventually got tired of waiting and ordered my JL earlier this year because there still wasn't a release date, or price (and still not price).

....... I’ve had full size trucks for years and am done with them for a daily driver. .....
Agreed. I bought my first full size truck in 2004 and loved it. I had full size trucks since then until I got the JL. In the back of my mind though I kept missing my '99 Dakota. Even though it was small it was probably my favorite truck I ever owned, and maybe the smaller size had something to do with it. It was just more fun to drive than the Rams were.
On a related note, It was a regular cab, and YES without any hesitation I'd buy a regular cab Gladiator. I know they won't make them, but there is a market for them. Unfortunately it's too small of a market to justify the cost of tooling a different cab option. Although to make an argument for it, I wonder if it would have a larger market than other compact trucks. The Gladiator is intended to be an off-road beast like the Wrangler, and a 2 door version would be more capable off-road. That would help it with that niche that the Wrangler seems to dominates so maybe more people would buy them? IDK, maybe send out some surveys and/or do some studies to see how the market would react before dismissing it. Or maybe they already have.

... I like the color options better. I would love to have a dark green like Gator.
YES!!!! I just checked Jeep's site yesterday and saw that. I keep threatening to trade my wife's Renegade for a Gladiator Overland. After I saw that color I told her she was about to adopt a slightly used JL. It wasn't really met with resistance, and she does seem to "find" excuses to drive my Jeep instead of hers. Maybe I'll have to take a look at the Gladiator once it can be seen in person.

Like the OP, I'm still on the fence. I like what they've done, and I've been stalking the Gladiator for a few years now. BUT my JL is so nice that the Gladiator isn't as appealing as it once was. If I was still in a Ram, the Gladiator would be on order the day they opened the order banks. Now that I'm in a JL (and love it), I don't know if I'll buy the truck or not.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, there are always arguments for the different WRANGLER models and now the GLADIATOR---BUT

I also have gone thru the MID-TRUCK PHASE with a bunch of FORD RANGERS and they were always pretty easy off-road/on-road, but Then I got the RAM/HEMI/8-SPD and the new JLR--

The RAM is a pure pleasure to take off-road(LIGHT)/snow isn't a problem and with the 5.7L 400hp+ she still gets 19/20 mpg on the freeway-

Because of that I don't take my JLR on the FREEWAY, unless it's absolutely necessary-so I'm pretty well set for some time and I wouldn't consider the 4dr GLADIATOR as anything other than an ORNAMENT !

W.E.

JIMBO

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I love the new Gladiator, but do think the bed/tailights look a little off.

I wish they would have made a version with a shorter bed that had a fold down partition into the passenger compartment like the Chevy Avalanche. We had one as a work truck and with that partition down it was like having an 8ft bed.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
This may have been posted here already but a local company here in Northwest Arkansas posted it on their Facebook page recently. The company is based in Dallas, so I don't know if it was done there or here but it's pretty dang cool. They had some crazy looking rides at Sema.

48208215_2280623368876567_4775135044735860736_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Very lonnnnng for sure, if you put a topper on it, it would look like a suv stretch limo.
As far as serious load carrying, the rear axle should be placed in the middle of the bed, not in the front, like the last Dakota. You can balance an uneven load better over the axle. Generally, 10% heavier in the front of the bed; same as loading a trailer. Otherwise, it's the tail wagging the dog. There goes the shorter wheelbase.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Great chop. I'd go place my order for that today (in Gator of course).

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I still cant wait to see one with a flat topped camper shell, especially if someone makes one with similar lines as an Unlimited hardtop. Should make the Gladiator look like an extended Unlimited if done right. Anyone care to Photoshop that?
Sponsored