Off-Road Capable

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I'm pretty new here (been a few weeks) and I've read through a ton of information on this site (it's actually probably a ridiculous amount of time I've spent reading on here). I recently took the plunge and ordered a new Wrangler. I'll totally admit I'm definitely not a "Jeep Guy" and have never done any real "Off-Roading" (mostly flat land - mud/snow/dirt, nowhere to rock-climb near me for several hundred miles), but I have wanted to do both for a long time and so I thought I made a good decision with a Wrangler.

Anyway, one thing that sticks out that has been mentioned on several posts throughout the forum is the fact that my Wrangler is apparently not capable of being driven off-road. It's a JLU Sahara (Moab to be specific). From what I can gather, only a Rubicon can actually leave pavement. The only thing I can do with mine is take my kids to soccer practice and to the mall.

I guess I need to do both of those on a somewhat regular basis anyway, but I had bigger plans for it on the weekends. Too bad I'm in for such a disappointment, I wish I had joined the forum way before buying a Jeep so I would have known this.
Sponsored

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic? Lots of people buy Sports for the sole purpose of modifying it for off-road purposes. You can build your JLU to whatever you want it to be - will it be capable of going where the Rubicon's do? Probably not but it can certainly leave payment and do mild to moderate things as a weekend warrior. Just build it to where you want it, that's half the fun.

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic? Lots of people buy Sports for the sole purpose of modifying it for off-road purposes. You can build your JLU to whatever you want it to be - will it be capable of going where the Rubicon's do? Probably not but it can certainly leave payment and do mild to moderate things as a weekend warrior. Just build it to where you want it, that's half the fun.
Admittedly there was a certain amount of sarcasm in there, but some seriousness as well. As I somewhat mentioned, I'm a total noob and don't know where to start with the add-ons (although I've got a few in mind). I've just read so much about the fact that I spent way too much on a vehicle that can't lock the axles, disconnect the sway bar, and has too low of a gear ratio. I didn't really think I needed any of that, since as I said it's mostly for flat land not rocky mountains (and 95% of the time getting my kids and me where we need to go). Was I wrong?

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will surprise you. Enjoy it.....sarcasm or not!
Well I fully intend to see if I can get it stuck, I'm just hoping I don't break it in the process.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I've seen similar posts here and there, so you must not be alone in feeling this way. I am not sure why though...I'd be interested to see the posts that made you feel this way.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Actually, this is true. Everyone knows that Saharas actually use CV joints, taken directly from the now defunct Chrysler 200. That means that the wheels will literally fall off if you're over grass. In theory, since you have the M/T tires on the Moab, your tires can touch, so long as the joints don't go over any non-paved surfaces. Those poor bastards in all-season shod Saharas can't even do that. Also, be careful not to drive on moist surfaces, or the thing will rust apart. Or park over high grass, as your Jeep will explode in a ball of flame.

I hope it's clear I'm being sarcastic. The Sahara will tear up even the crazy rocky trails if properly built (see ExtremeTerrain's build). Your Jeep will certainly outstrip your ability (mine, too, no worries). Have fun getting out there! And if you think you'll get stuck, make sure you at least have some buddies with you, if not a winch.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Well I fully intend to see if I can get it stuck, I'm just hoping I don't break it in the process.
There were millions of Jeeps before the Rubicon model that were wheeled hard.....and did not break. Don't be stupid with the throttle and it will be fine.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Admittedly there was a certain amount of sarcasm in there, but some seriousness as well. As I somewhat mentioned, I'm a total noob and don't know where to start with the add-ons (although I've got a few in mind). I've just read so much about the fact that I spent way too much on a vehicle that can't lock the axles, disconnect the sway bar, and has too low of a gear ratio. I didn't really think I needed any of that, since as I said it's mostly for flat land not rocky mountains (and 95% of the time getting my kids and me where we need to go). Was I wrong?
No, you got what you wanted, and that is what matters. The Moab s sharp...i wish I could have moab looks with Rubicon hardware from the factory.
Yes, I feel this way 100%. No way I'd buy a Moab when I could buy a Rubicon...it appears as if they are VERY close in price when similarly equipped unless I am missing something. For the little extra money, your getting alot!

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I was thinking the other day that the Moab may be the ultimate Jeep. You have the full time 4wd for adverse conditions, and if you added a locker to it, you'd have the best of all worlds.

Of corse even without a locker you'll be going 95%+ of where a Rubicon can go, and it'll do better in snow.rain etc. So I think you got a great Jeep.

Rubicon owner. Former Sport owner. I wheeled the hell out of that Sport, stock, and it was amazing how capable it was.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Heh, I'd love to get a hold of a MOAB and go find some mud!

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
Actually, this is true. Everyone knows that Saharas actually use CV joints, taken directly from the now defunct Chrysler 200. That means that the wheels will literally fall off if you're over grass. In theory, since you have the M/T tires on the Moab, your tires can touch, so long as the joints don't go over any non-paved surfaces. Those poor bastards in all-season shod Saharas can't even do that. Also, be careful not to drive on moist surfaces, or the thing will rust apart. Or park over high grass, as your Jeep will explode in a ball of flame.

I hope it's clear I'm being sarcastic. The Sahara will tear up even the crazy rocky trails if properly built (see ExtremeTerrain's build). Your Jeep will certainly outstrip your ability (mine, too, no worries). Have fun getting out there! And if you think you'll get stuck, make sure you at least have some buddies with you, if not a winch.
Sahara only comes with CV joints if you get Select-Trac, if i'm not mistaken. I see you being sarcastic, just wanted to clarify this as if they all have CV it would be news to me.

Wranglers are trail rated from the factory, you'll be fine in any of them for some fun. Go see what it does stock and then start making your changes as needed.

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the other day that the Moab may be the ultimate Jeep. You have the full time 4wd for adverse conditions, and if you added a locker to it, you'd have the best of all worlds.

Of corse even without a locker you'll be going 95%+ of where a Rubicon can go, and it'll do better in snow.rain etc. So I think you got a great Jeep.

Rubicon owner. Former Sport owner. I wheeled the hell out of that Sport, stock, and it was amazing how capable it was.
That's pretty much what I was thinking when I ordered it. It was about $3,000 (MSRP) less than a Rubicon with the options I would have added, for which I gave up the lockers/sway disco/etc. and got the full-time 4WD with LSD. It's just that I've seen WAY more posts suggesting that I made the wrong choice than the right one.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty much what I was thinking when I ordered it. It was about $3,000 (MSRP) less than a Rubicon with the options I would have added, for which I gave up the lockers/sway disco/etc. and got the full-time 4WD with LSD. It's just that I've seen WAY more posts suggesting that I made the wrong choice than the right one.
You're good, The Sahara is great off road and the MOAB will be even better. Sure, locking differentials make a difference when you're going over big rocks, but if you're not doing heavy rock crawling, any other Wrangler is great.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have about the least capable off road Jeep (Sport S with no limited slip, all season tires, no mods) and I spent a fair amount of time this weekend offroading around our hunting property, which was covered in about 4" of snow over muddy ruts, etc.

I had zero problems going anywhere, and at one point scampered up a steep snow-covered hill that a TRD Tundra had to back down and re-try. I was in 4 Hi. If your goal is to go on challenging trails offroading for the sake of offroading, you might want some upgrades, but if you're like me and you offroad incidentally in support of other hobbies, you'll almost certainly be just fine.
Sponsored