Sponsored

OBD code reader

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
For those that have/use an OBD code reader to get check engine light codes, what unit are you using? Me and a few neighbors are looking to share one when the need arises. I have a diesel Jeep and neighbors have Ford and Chevy pickups. Looking for a simple unit to throw out what codes are involved. Thanks!
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For those that have/use an OBD code reader to get check engine light codes, what unit are you using?
In the age of the innerwebs, we're now spoiled for choice.

My Go To is a [premium at the time] Craftsman reader with a large monotone digital display. I've since added this nifty little Bluetooth module that plugs into the OBD port. It displays a crapload of engine performance data, etc. on my phone via the related app. Cheap as chips, and it provides more information than could have been imagined when my Craftsman unit was new.

Golden Power

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Golden eagle
I use the J Scan app on my phone with a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter (Icar Pro). Its can read most codes off American-made vehicles but I've had some issues with it not reading everything on my friend's Lexus. For 20 bucks I think its a great deal and with jeeps J Scan can allow you to change things like tire size, axle gearing etc.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I suggest that you do not cheap out on a Bluetooth dongle (there are many super cheap ones out there and knockoffs of other popular brands). Then I'd just find one that you can use on your phone that is listed to be compatible with the bluetooth dongle. Also, not VIN specific.

Remember, on your Jeep, you will only be able to read OBD2 codes. Nothing else. If you have another issue that is not part of OBD2, then you will be running into other issues. Main one is the security gateway. As for the others vehicles you mention, no problem.

What I find is people look just for an OBD2 reader and are happy with that until something like an ABS light comes on. Then they are stuck. Think about that when you make the investment with your neighbors as it will happen. Not if, but when.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I went with the Blue Driver. Used it in all our vehicles with success. I got mine for a fair price.

Jeep Wrangler JL OBD code reader Screenshot_20230328_114344_Amazon Shoppin

Jeep Wrangler JL OBD code reader Screenshot_20230328_114035_BlueDriver

Jeep Wrangler JL OBD code reader Screenshot_20230328_114310_Amazon Shoppin
Sponsored