Sponsored

North Florida Camping Sites

sphyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
So I have been itching to take the JLR out and do some tent camping up in North or Central Florida. Problem is I have no idea what options are available for locations. Looking for a primitive site or dispersed site that is relatively easy to drive to (not looking for hardcore wheeling trails) like forest access roads or something of that nature. Really I just want something out of the way I can drive up to and plop a tent down on near the vehicle for a weekend that isint a camp ground with other people around.

Anyone have ideas?
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ocala National Forest has primitive camping.

Just pick a spot and set up.

Osceola has this as well and is a lot bigger.

Some of the other State Forests/WMA have camping areas as well.

All of these have good trails, with Osceola being the most challenging in my opinion.

OP
OP

sphyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Ocala National Forest has primitive camping.

Just pick a spot and set up.

Osceola has this as well and is a lot bigger.

Some of the other State Forests/WMA have camping areas as well.

All of these have good trails, with Osceola being the most challenging in my opinion.
Any suggestions for a good trail to start with up in Ocala? I assume that during general gun season there are restrictions as well .

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
We like withlacoochee state park but you need a camping permit for some of the spots.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Roads are open to the public year round, but they do close trails and the only way to know sometimes is the trail marker isn't there.

Read this as it will help with questions and any trail is good, but some will take 2 Jeeps to traverse as it can get slick and deep.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/

Are you coming up for Jeeptoberfest?

https://www.facebook.com/Jeeptoberfest/

Should only have about 1700 Jeeps there this year............ and lots of vendors.

They will have a couple of Ocala NF trail rides on Friday as part of the adventure and 3 different levels of Jeep courses.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sphyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Roads are open to the public year round, but they do close trails and the only way to know sometimes is the trail marker isn't there.

Read this as it will help with questions and any trail is good, but some will take 2 Jeeps to traverse as it can get slick and deep.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/

Are you coming up for Jeeptoberfest?

https://www.facebook.com/Jeeptoberfest/

Should only have about 1700 Jeeps there this year............ and lots of vendors.

They will have a couple of Ocala NF trail rides on Friday as part of the adventure and 3 different levels of Jeep courses.
Thanks for the info! Jeeptoberfest looks neat, I think I can make that happen. I'm an avid cave diver so I spend most weekends up in North Florida anyhow.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So I have been itching to take the JLR out and do some tent camping up in North or Central Florida. Problem is I have no idea what options are available for locations. Looking for a primitive site or dispersed site that is relatively easy to drive to (not looking for hardcore wheeling trails) like forest access roads or something of that nature. Really I just want something out of the way I can drive up to and plop a tent down on near the vehicle for a weekend that isint a camp ground with other people around.

Anyone have ideas?
While I am sure you have already been down here;

Here is a few suggestions:

Gamble Rogers State Park - North/Central
Washington Oaks State Gardens - North/Central
Anastasia State Park - North

All off of A1A, all charge I believe $7 per adult, UNLESS you're a veteran or retired military you don't pay.

If you're retired or a vet, do yourself a favor while you're down and go ahead and bring your DD214 and ID and get your 'lifetime member pass'.
Sponsored