First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I live in South Florida and almost anything goes with Jeeps but I'm told one could get pulled over for bead locks. Curious to know of those that live anywhere in the state and their experience with law enforcement and bead locks. I know most are not DOT approved but see them all the time so assume they may not get hassled as often yet not sure what normally happens when they do. Been told that because of the many non-bead lock rims with imitation bead rings 4x4 trucks often go ignored. What's your experience?

I travel often throughout the state on both highways, turnpike, city and state roads so I will cross path with all types of law enforcement and just wanting to understand what I could expect and if it it's worth the hassle. Don't have the space for a set of tires lying around my house and don't have the means to trailer my vehicle so one way or the other I'm having to get on the road with what I have to my final off-road destination and then back.
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Whether beadlocks are legal or not is quite arguable and really depends on how you interpret DOT specifications.

That said, I've ran beadlocks on multiple daily drivers over the years here in WA and have never been pulled over for having them. I have been pulled over for no mud flaps, too high bumper height, tires out too far, too many lights uncovered and a few other things. No officer has ever noticed I had beadlocks even those who were pointing at my tires telling me they stuck too far out the sides of the vehicle. Might be a different story if you had an officer who knew what beadlocks were and wanted a go at you.

The only straight up DOT legal beadlocks are the Rock Monsters from Hutchinson. They are a two piece beadlock with an internal bead retaining ring.

If you want beadlocks and don't want any sort of hassles, get a set of the Hutchinsons and you'll be good.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Don’t like the Hutchinsons. Was aware of them. Luckily here you don’t seem to get hassled about bumper height, mud flaps or tires poking out.

Agreed not sure if cops know what they are looking at and those that do may off-road themselves so don’t care to bother another. Just something I’ve never done and rather costly mistake should I have to get rid of them.
Sponsored

Last edited: