Sponsored

(non) off-road shaming - why?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We bought a Rubi mostly because it wasn't that much more than the Sahara we were going to order(Peterson's).

The added "security" of tougher axles, lockers, swaybar, tires were bonuses.

We will probably NEVER use those things, but they're nice to have if we ever want to.

As for what other people say or think, fuck em. That kind of mentality doesn't belong in this community.

lol in my opinion.
Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Ordered a Rubicon because I wanted the most off-road capable factory Jeep. I'll do a few mods like steering stabilizer but have no plans for tires or lift. I do trails a Rubicon will let me without damage. I have no desire to rock climb or go crazy in a new Jeep. If I ever get that itch I'll buy an old one and equip it properly.

Wranglers crawl the city streets of Charlotte like ants. At times it seems every other vehicle I pass is a Wrangler. Most have little to no modifications other than cosmetic changes. Anyone wanting to Jeep shame around here will get overwhelmed VERY quickly or be completely miserable.

DarceyJean

First Name
Darcey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Sahara
Both. Lots of Sahara hate on the forum obviously, and when I drive it IRL I've gotten lots of sarcastic "nice Sahara, dude" type comments from my Rubi-driving brother as well as random people at trailheads and in parking lots...always guys, and usually driving Jeeps with stingers, light bars, hi jacks, huge lifts and more shackles than truly necessary. It doesn't bother me, and I don't fell the need to say "But my other Jeep is a...". I just say thanks and move on. But it does undermine the whole Jeep Community thing.

This! You said it perfectly!

DarceyJean

First Name
Darcey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Sahara
Not really, my first Wrangler was a Sahara and I didn't receive any grief! I never planned to do any hardcore badge rated trails and still don't. Your Sahara will do just fine on beginner to intermediate trails as is. Sounds like you picked the perfect model for you. Enjoy!!!
I absolutely disagree unless you're being sarcastic.

A "Rubicon" doesn't mean it's the only "real Jeep". Your choice is perfectly fine. I think the point that you start getting comments is when you want to accomplish specific trails/obstacles that the Rubicon would handle easier....and I usually reserve those to rock crawling situations. A stock Jeep has incredible capabilities and the Sahara just provides more creature-comforts. From your description of plans, I'd say the Sahara is perfect.

I specifically went Rubicon as the TJ Sport I had (including aftermarket lockers, winch, lift, etc)was still missing the 4:1 transfer case which is essential when you're wheeling a manual over rocks.
For me, I honed my skills on a stock TJ sport, and then added when my offroading tastes/desires changed and evolved.

When I purchased the JL, I made the decision to get everything in a package instead of adding it on later.

You're good - there should be no comments along the lines you're referring to
Try being me, the guy who went from a JKU Rubicon to a JLU Sahara. When I added the Sahara to the fold, it felt like the Jeep community demanded my man card back. But my use cases supported the addition, my wife and I both prefer the way it drives, I'm 100% comfortable in my own skin and my you-know-what is the same size regardless if I am driving the Sahara or the Rubi. I have not regretted the Sahara one bit, despite the ton of unsolicited opinions that have been shared with me. Peace to all the Sahara drivers out there!
While I do have a Rubicon, I had a Sahara on loan for about a month and put 4,000+ miles on it. Loved it. There is no shame in having a Sahara. They are a great Jeep.

Thank you all - it is reassuring to hear! My sahara is going to be a bad ass little jeep whether she likes it or not.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Sometime in the near future, I'm going to attempt this technique. I'll know pretty quick if I can hold it in the partial overhead press position to get it off and to the ground.

(skip to 1:30 in the video)

I attempted this 3rd top removal technique. I almost gave up. I could lift it into the air while seated in the cargo area, but my goodness it felt heavy. After about 15-30 minutes of contemplation, I went for it, and was able to lift and hold it, move it over to some chairs I had set up, and partially squat it down onto said chairs.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Old thread but would you make fun of a 80 year old woman that drove a Ferrari, uh yeah.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I feel like I’m in the minority here but most of the people I wheel with don’t own JLS. They ask if I’m willing to get scratches and dents in it and are happy to lead me off-road. They also don’t care if I bypass trails. I’ve bypassed newbs in rubicon’s by better driving (“how’d you do that without lockers”) and generally everyone is willing to help everyone out; especially if there’s a breakdown.

for many people the Jeep is a purpose built vehicle. Until the JK most people either off-roaded vehicles or towed them behind RVS.

I hated my lifted 3spd Tj. Terrible road manners, gas mileage and capacity.

I love my jlu—commenter vehicle; grocery getter; off-road vehicle

ultimately I don’t care what you do with your Jeep. I’ll still wave

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Drunk posted a response to my own post lol