Sponsored

No Squatting JL's in NC

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I never get the utility of this. Maybe it is the engineer in me.

It is like extreme camber angles on compact cars, I'm surprised more people don't break their wheels off with ridiculous suspension modifications.
Sponsored

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
NC has just past a bill banning the Carolina Squat.

IMG_5110 M.png

One cannot raise the front more than 3 inches and also lower the back by more 2 inches.
"They" say the headlights are a problem to on coming traffic.

I guess NC is a:

IMG_5111 M.png

Luckily, this new law does not apply to most of the JL's that I have seen. However, those JL's are out there...

aYyzVK7_460s.jpg

Your thoughts?
Thank GOD. IMO that is absolutely horrendous looking

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I know it looks dumb but what is the danger? Do they have less control or braking ability? A visibility problem?
Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Christopherd71

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I know it looks dumb but what is the danger? Do they have less control or braking ability? A visibility problem?
They have trouble seeing what’s in front of the. Even in my lifted Jeep I almost got hit by a truck that could see me, short driver and “Carolina squat”.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Yo I’m in topsail right now. The Carolina squat is live and well down here. Damn how did I ever miss these things. I literally think I saw at Silverado with 40 inch rims in the front and 18’s in the rear.

Sponsored

Tarheel.07

First Name
Joedy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Altitude
It changes the whole crash risk of the JL. Super lifting it does the same thing. But in an accident instead of just moving forward. It will move up as well. Meaning it's a much higher risk to going over the back and into the passengers. It also points the headlights up much higher. So large trucks only see the lights right at them. This is just some of the risks that any change to the way it was designed can cause. Look at heavily lifed anything in an accident. Most times not even the driver come away in good shape. Some modes can be too dangerous.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
A smart law would address the actual issue, then. Make it illegal to alter a vehicle such as to make the headlights more than x degrees higher than OEM specifications.

It is possible to have a squat and still adjust the headlights to be level. It is also possible to have a level vehicle with headlights adjusted too high.

Always best to legislate the proper issue vs the looks. But that would require politicians with brains, common sense, etc.
I'm not sure that with the extreme angles being seen here that the headlights CAN be adjusted low enough.......that is FAR outside of the stock specs of any headlight adjustment system I have seen.

The bigger issue I see here is that as someone else said it takes away steering control, lessens what the driver can see in front of him and in general destroys the safe operating ranges of the suspension as a whole.

As for the law my guess it was easier to word it using the headlight concerns than the rest. They wanted to get the law out quick before someone gets killed.

You can bet they will be tweaking the law over time now that it is out there.

It reminds me of the old gassers of the 50s and 60s......made for the track......scary to drive.....lol........

I always say to each his own unless it affects me.....and what they are doing to these vehicles makes the roads less safe for me and mine.

Angry bird grill?

Subjective as far as looks but..........hurts no one.....

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
most of you are missing the point. I don't give a rats ass how dumb this lift type may look, as long as it's not recklessly dangerous whats the point of banning it. this wasn't banned because it was recklessly dangerous thing to do, this was banned because asshat polititians mistake things they don't like to see vs what people should be allowed to do. next they'll think my lift on my jeep shouldn't be legal. aint no harm in squatting your truck. I would NEVER do it to my truck...but I cannot understand why it would be BANNED like menthol fucking cigarettes. I want politicians to STAY AWAY from my jeep, as long as i'm not being reckless
All you have to do is see how these abominations are hacked together to make the sag happen.....and it is CLEARLY then wreckless. Did you watch the video ft he blue squatted truck in this thread ??

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Seems like that would severely affect the steering capability... idk

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I don't like the govt telling me what I can and can't do with my property, but I'll keep quiet over this one.
Sponsored