Sponsored

No CD Players on ANY version / option???

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Converting my CD collection to FLAC to store on a NAS....and then to a more portable format as needed was one of the best things I ever did. Now on the rare occasion I buy a CD....it gets added to the collection. You can fit A LOT of songs in a good quality format onto a 32-64gb thumb drive.

Not only that, but my FLAC collection is served via a Plex server....which I can access via phone and bluetooth anytime I want (assuming some sorta data connection) which works great on my Wife's Renegade Uconnect.

The lack of CD player in modern vehicles has to be the least important thing I would ever worry about.
Sponsored

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand why they can't incorporate a CD / DVD player like they did before on the new JL wrangler? Even the BASE wrangler doesn't have it! How is one supposed to play their CDs???
CD's are dead bro. Its 2018 its all ball bearings these days

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Except you lose sound quality with mp3 compression. There are very few lossless audio formats and I don’t think any of them are compatible with UConnect.
ACC is compatible i believe and thats a lossless compression

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
I wish they included a CD / DVD player also. Not because I care to play CDs, but for DVDs. We've been going to Moab, from Kansas City, twice a year for the last 13+ years, and the worst part, by far, is the drive across Kansas. One of the single best things I did was start listening to movies / sitcoms while we drive. The '07 didn't have a screen so we could only listen, but I installed a lockpick on our '12 and then '14 with the 430N stereo. That allowed us to not only input NAV info while driving,but also watch movies which is a HUGE help to escape the boredom of I-70. (I only get to listen since I always drive.) Sure, I'll be able to buy a lockpick for the JL, but anything we watch will first have to be ripped to my phone / tablet and cast to the screen using wifi.

As for music, for the most part, I quit buying CDs / albums 13 years ago. I much prefer to use any of the streaming services. I started using Napster (Rhapsody) for work and since then I realize I much prefer to create a playlist, download some songs and then listen that way. Instead of carrying around a few hundred cds I've got access to millions for $10 month. The quality isn't always as good as CD but it's good enough for a Wrangler or our RZR1000.

So, yeah, CD / DVDs might not be the most current "in" thing, but they're a lot more convenient for some of us.

By the way, I make my living as an audio editor, so it's not about a lack of knowledge or laziness in ripping or converting this or that, just my preference.

snipertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT
WAV is compatible. It sounds much better than MP3 and satellite. I have ~ 600 16 bit (same as CD) WAV files on a thumb drive.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
No, Uconnect does NOT support lossless AAC (M4A) , only M4B.

WAV is compatible. It sounds much better than MP3 and satellite. I have ~ 600 16 bit (same as CD) WAV files on a thumb drive.
Yeah, although WAV is Huge, it’s fine for small collections, but for archiving large libraries it’s not ideal.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
I converted my CDs to a USB 16GB USB3.0 Thumb drive using .wav lossless compression. Never done this before. There is a sequence of 314 songs on the USB drive with no file/folder structure when using the JL's media player.

Any way to establish a folder structure with all these songs that the JL's media player's browse function will recognize (artist, CD, songs)? I used windows media player to rip my cds (along with a LG blu ray burner/player drive) to the usb thumb drive. Pressing the JL's media browse button results in an infinite wait cycle (says "please wait" ... never ends).

There is a file/folder structure within windows media (artist, CD, song) when I play the ripped music on the pc. That folder structure did not carry over when ripping the songs from the cds to usb drive and playing the music on JL's media player.

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I converted my CDs to a USB 16GB USB3.0 Thumb drive using .wav lossless compression. Never done this before. There is a sequence of 314 songs on the USB drive with no file/folder structure when using the JL's media player.

Any way to establish a folder structure with all these songs that the JL's media player's browse function will recognize (artist, CD, songs)? I used windows media player to rip my cds (along with a LG blu ray burner/player drive) to the usb thumb drive. Pressing the JL's media browse button results in an infinite wait cycle (says "please wait" ... never ends).

There is a file/folder structure within windows media (artist, CD, song) when I play the ripped music on the pc. That folder structure did not carry over when ripping the songs from the cds to usb drive and playing the music on JL's media player.
This is just it. I don't think that people realize that there is no structure, no organization in accessing your songs this way. It's all one big jumbled mess.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Figured out how to rip cds to usb drive (using Windows Media Player) and have the UMP (Uconnect Media Player) Browser recognize the folder structure. Now, the UMP's Browser will sort the music stored on the USB drive by folder, playlist, artist, album, genre and song. Not only that, voice cmds can be used to play music stored on the USB drive through the UMP. Tested and verified these cmds worked today:

1. "Play Playlist Deep Purple"
2. "Play Song Money"
3. "Play Song Holly Holy"
4. "Play Album Body Guard"
5. "Play Artist Elvis Presley"

Also, the issue of the USB drive not being recognized by UMP has pretty much gone away.

So why is it working now? (Recall, I was using the .wav lossless file format to digitize music from a CD to the USB drive using Windows Media Player.) Bottom line, the UMP will identify the folder structure used in the USB drive, if it can recognize the music file types inside the folders. UMP does not recognize the .wav music file type for folder support, even though the UMP can play .wav music files (but, only as a single list of songs) ... which is really strange and why it took 3 wks to figure this out. UMP will recognize .wma and .mp3 music files for folder and voice cmd support ... so only use those file formats to digitize CD songs to the USB drive via Windows Media Player.

If you don't understand file formats, open WMP with a CD drive already connected to the pc and CD inserted. Click on WMP's organize button, click on options, pick "Rip Music" tab, then click on the Windows Media Audio Lossless Pull Down Bar and you'll see all the file formats that the CD songs can be digitized to. FWIW, for File Name, pick Track Number and Song Title in that order, with Track Number as No. 1 priority and Song Title as number 2 priority.

Here is the hardware set up used. All hardware supported the faster transfer speed USB3.0 ports:

1. 32GB USB drive (Fat32 format), USB3.0;
2. Windows Media Player;
3. LG MODISC CD/Blu-Ray player, USB3.0;
4. Alienware Laptop PC, USB3.0

This is a repost from another thread whose focus is on the UMP: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/uconnect-usb-media-player.7132/#post-175627

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Figured out how to rip cds to usb drive (using Windows Media Player) and have the UMP (Uconnect Media Player) Browser recognize the folder structure. Now, the UMP's Browser will sort the music stored on the USB drive by folder, playlist, artist, album, genre and song. Not only that, voice cmds can be used to play music stored on the USB drive through the UMP. Tested and verified these cmds worked today:

1. "Play Playlist Deep Purple"
2. "Play Song Money"
3. "Play Song Holly Holy"
4. "Play Album Body Guard"
5. "Play Artist Elvis Presley"

Also, the issue of the USB drive not being recognized by UMP has pretty much gone away.

So why is it working now? (Recall, I was using the .wav lossless file format to digitize music from a CD to the USB drive using Windows Media Player.) Bottom line, the UMP will identify the folder structure used in the USB drive, if it can recognize the music file types inside the folders. UMP does not recognize the .wav music file type for folder support, even though the UMP can play .wav music files (but, only as a single list of songs) ... which is really strange and why it took 3 wks to figure this out. UMP will recognize .wma and .mp3 music files for folder and voice cmd support ... so only use those file formats to digitize CD songs to the USB drive via Windows Media Player.

If you don't understand file formats, open WMP with a CD drive already connected to the pc and CD inserted. Click on WMP's organize button, click on options, pick "Rip Music" tab, then click on the Windows Media Audio Lossless Pull Down Bar and you'll see all the file formats that the CD songs can be digitized to. FWIW, for File Name, pick Track Number and Song Title in that order, with Track Number as No. 1 priority and Song Title as number 2 priority.

Here is the hardware set up used. All hardware supported the faster transfer speed USB3.0 ports:

1. 32GB USB drive (Fat32 format), USB3.0;
2. Windows Media Player;
3. LG MODISC CD/Blu-Ray player, USB3.0;
4. Alienware Laptop PC, USB3.0

This is a repost from another thread whose focus is on the UMP: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/uconnect-usb-media-player.7132/#post-175627

SO I have to have all 2000 songs in my playlist memorized in order for the JL to be used effectively? Yeah, I'm all set!

I don't memorize most names, and a lot of time I find things by scrolling through them that I totally forgot about.

There needs to be an efficient way to navigate through your media, like an Ipod.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
The UMP's Browser will sort the music stored on the USB drive by folder, playlist, artist, album, genre and song ... but, the music file format has to be either .mp3 or .MPA. What music file format are you using?

Here's using windows file explorer to identify the type of music file being used is .wav. .wav music files have no folder support from Uconnect Media Player:

wav music files.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited: