Need help Sahara or Rubicon

SLGMOTORS

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 f250
My wife and I want to add a JL unlimited jeep to the family in the next week or 2
Here is my issue
She wants a Sahara with sky one touch
I prefer rubicon for purely stylistic reasons
Besides the Sahara running boards, the rubicon being 2 inches taller and different wheels are there any other exterior differences?
What ever we get will have a small lift and 35’s
Fender flares, fenders, etc???

I think something else has to be different
The Rubicons to me seem to look way better
I can’t figure it out
Sponsored

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon axles are 2 inches wider i believe,
Rubicon has higher front fenders

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
The finders also set higher on the side of the Rubi than they do on the Sahara. The hood is also different for the Rubi than Sahara and of course add the lettering in the Hood (which my wife does not like btw). Rear tow hook and front tow hooks are red on the Rubi as well and the dash of a Rubi is red.

The items that I listed plus the items that you indicated are the primary cosmetic differences. I know there are other items but I hit many of the high points.

Might I suggest you go to a lot and take a first hand detained comparison of a Rubi vs a Sahara. And if you compare both in the same color the differences will be easier for you and your wife to both see.

One last point (my $0.02). I noticed that you did not say.... I want a Jeep and my wife wants a “blank”. So you have already cleared that hurdle. ;)

MY WIFE WAS COMPLETELY ON BOARD WITH THE JEEP AS WELL!!!!!

btw we have ‘20 Sahara and added 2” Mopar, 35s and 20” wheels. LOVE IT!!!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help Sahara or Rubicon 5FB352D2-D83E-4126-B46A-B356DC434ED9

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I have 4 jeeps currently, actually looking to pick up the sport unlimited for my daughter for college years with the discounts. She loves her 09 rubi but the miles have gotten up there and needs something more reliable. I have two JLU rubis, 2018 that my wife and i drive, hers is a mall crawler and mine enjoys life. That being said the Rubis are built stouter all the way around and I would describe it as more of a base to add simples mods too. Axles and differentials are stouter, gearing is lower in additions to the above mentioned differences. The sahara though I think is a great option if you dont need lockers and are not worried about pushing it off road but still very capable. Owning one is however an expensive addiction. I personally will always own a rubicon as to me it embodies what a true off road 4WD vehicle should be built like. I use lockers all the time, to get places others dont go and I am often alone and long ago got tired of shoveling. That being said when you get stuck it sucks unless you have a friend willing to come help if they can get to you. I also love the look compared to the sahara but that is just me and if they came out with a very basic no frills rubi would buy it in a moment. Better yet if it came with 2 inch lift, 35s and real skids.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I went Rubicon because I'm using it to its fullest extent out here on my local trails and wanted factory lockers / beefier axles / the overall tougher look - if it were just an on-road Jeep I'd probably still go Rubi if it were in the budget. If you don't plan on off roading you can get the Sahara and work your way up to the Rubicon aesthetic by grabbing the parts from Mopar as you go. The Rubicon OEM hood and high fenders add a lot to the overall aesthetic. Also, the factory wheels and tires are much, much more appropriate for a Jeep on the Rubicon. I don't love the highway tires and 18s on the Sahara, we swapped my buddy's Sahara out with Rubicon takeoffs for cheap.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
We have a Sahara JKU, a Willys JL and soon a Rubi JL to replace an older JK. The Sahara rides better and is more suited to city life, and that's why we have it. The Willys and Rubi, and then JK on which I have Bilsteins, has a more "sporty" ride and this coupled with the sound of more aggressive tires bouncing around makes a distinctly different experience.

Depends really what you're looking for. Saharas and the special editions like Moab and Smoky Mountain, what we have, are super nice, comfortable and look great on the road. Rubicons look great, are built for off road, and while filled with creature comforts ride harder and give a more sporty off road vehicle experience.

For me, I'd just assume get rid of the Sahara and buy a Yukon or something, I like my Jeeps to feel like jeeps and I like to do jeep things in them. Wife loves the jeep look and feel while driving the dog places and picking up friends, so, Sahara it is.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Sahara vs. Rubicon seems to be an age-old question among prospective Wrangler buyers. I drove both before buying. The Rubi seemed a bit tighter. (N.B.: One man's tight suspension is another's rough-riding!) The Sahara had more bling--something I didn't want. You'll never be limited by the upgrades on the Rubicon, but you might wish someday you had them if driving a Sahara. Both my son and I went with many-optioned Rubicons, and neither regret the choice.

I will say that the Sky One-Touch Power Top--which wasn't available when I ordered my Rubi--is a slick, slick option! We have body-color-painted hard tops. My son recently bought a Bestop Sunrider and loved it, so I did same. Not as slick as the Sky One-Touch, but a nice retrofit.

Good Luck with the choice! You'll have fun with either!

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
How many times are people going to post this exact same thread? Right up there with what lift for 35’s.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the Rubicon......here's why:

You can get the sky one touch on the Rubicon.
You can immediately fit 35" tires on the Rubicon without having to buy a lift.
The Rubicon has 4.10 gears (vs Sahara 3.45) and Dana 44 axles (stronger than Sahara's and better able to handle the 35's) so you won't have to re-gear as soon as you would if you had a Sahara.
Front and rear lockers and electronic disconnect sway bar.
Get the Rubicon with leather seats, cold weather group, and the upgraded Alpine/8.4 system.....makes for a very nice interior (for a Wrangler)

You can always add bling on to the Rubicon (if you want to do that), but you're saving money by buying the Rubicon vs. having to add lift, lockers, gears, etc. to the Sahara.

I just got my wife a JLUR and she didn't even want to look at the Sahara. She wanted a Rubicon cause it's more capable. The only thing I'm adding to hers is Mopar front LCA's (adds caster to get rid of the wandering), Fox shocks, Synergy steering, and a stronger front track bar.

Ttaylor

First Name
Terez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2020 Sahara
I love my sahara. I'm a suburban mom who loves taking her doors off all summer. I like the extra luxury and have no plans to offroad. I got the North edition for the better radio.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My wife and I want to add a JL unlimited jeep to the family in the next week or 2
Here is my issue
She wants a Sahara with sky one touch
I prefer rubicon for purely stylistic reasons
Besides the Sahara running boards, the rubicon being 2 inches taller and different wheels are there any other exterior differences?
What ever we get will have a small lift and 35’s
Fender flares, fenders, etc???

I think something else has to be different
The Rubicons to me seem to look way better
I can’t figure it out
Here's my pet peeve:

It's not that a topic comes up frequently but that those who reply justify their stance often based on their personal experience, even when an OP may suggest otherwise.

Jason: bottom line, I hope you are happy. But this one sentence of yours:

"I prefer rubicon for purely stylistic reasons"

Many believe is the wrong reason to get a Rubicon. We get in for factory performance.

Don't get me wrong, plenty a Rubicon won't ever go offroad, and plenty of Sport S' will.

Just come to peace with why the decision making norm might not apply to you.

Good luck.
Sponsored