First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Anyone want to go to Hurricane Creek this week (not Monday)? I found it on Google maps but it shows as a road that doesn’t connect to any other road. How do you access it?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Anyone want to go to Hurricane Creek this week (not Monday)? I found it on Google maps but it shows as a road that doesn’t connect to any other road. How do you access it?
Wish I could but we are going to Rausch this week. I put the word out and I will let you know if anyone is interested in going.

You access it right off of 40. It is a little tricky. You get to like the last exit in NC and you go around a cuve and there is a railing. Basically we put on hazards and slow down on I-40 until the railing ends, then turn right off the highway onto the trail.

I think @chevymitchell has GPS coordinates for the turn off.

Once there, there are only a couple tricky parts to the trail. The first is pretty early on. It can be a little rutted depending on weather/use. The second spot is on Wesley Creek Rd. For the most part, it is just a pretty drive through the woods. One of my favorite trails.

Basically, there are two forks in the trail. Here is a description from @UNC Rubicon :

Take a right at the first fork to continue up Hurricane Creek. At the second fork, right is Wesley Creek Road. Left continues Hurricane Creek which will drop you out a lot closer to Max Patch.

Fairly certain taking a left at the second fork is quite a bit shorter. Last time I was there, our group split off in two. Half went Wesley Creek the and I (along with a 4Runner) went left to finish Hurricane Creek (Wesley Creek was a little much for the stock 4Runner). We finished up 30 min quicker or so than the other group.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wish I could but we are going to Rausch this week. I put the word out and I will let you know if anyone is interested in going.

You access it right off of 40. It is a little tricky. You get to like the last exit in NC and you go around a cuve and there is a railing. Basically we put on hazards and slow down on I-40 until the railing ends, then turn right off the highway onto the trail.

I think @chevymitchell has GPS coordinates for the turn off.

Once there, there are only a couple tricky parts to the trail. The first is pretty early on. It can be a little rutted depending on weather/use. The second spot is on Wesley Creek Rd. For the most part, it is just a pretty drive through the woods. One of my favorite trails.

Basically, there are two forks in the trail. Here is a description from @UNC Rubicon :

Take a right at the first fork to continue up Hurricane Creek. At the second fork, right is Wesley Creek Road. Left continues Hurricane Creek which will drop you out a lot closer to Max Patch.

Fairly certain taking a left at the second fork is quite a bit shorter. Last time I was there, our group split off in two. Half went Wesley Creek the and I (along with a 4Runner) went left to finish Hurricane Creek (Wesley Creek was a little much for the stock 4Runner). We finished up 30 min quicker or so than the other group.
Thanks. I searched around and found how to access it. It seems like kind of a make your own exit type of situation off of I40.

3792BE9B-4868-4475-9A36-26455E91BDD2.png

A60B4F12-8B1B-471E-9C04-E7285EA0DFD5.png

Last edited:

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I searched around and found how to access it. It seems like kind of a make your own exit type of situation off of I40 near mile marker 8.
This is correct. You can only access it from west bound. If you miss the turn, you’ve got a lot of driving to get back to it.

Download offline maps ahead of time. You won’t have service once you reach the end of the trail.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is correct. You can only access it from west bound. If you miss the turn, you’ve got a lot of driving to get back to it.

Download offline maps ahead of time. You won’t have service once you reach the end of the trail.
Thanks. I’ve found that I barely have any service anywhere in the area (Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Cherokee). Even in our cabin the WiFi is horrible and I get zero bars of cellular. But it’s beautiful out here.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Created a route from I40-Hurricane Creek-Max Patch-Fines Creek-I40. Saved it in Gaia. Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going to head out there Tuesday.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Did Hurricane Creek today solo. It was nice. There was only really 1 spot that was a little bit sketchy, off camber narrow part of the road with no margin for error.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need assistance from NC wheeling crew D7619ED6-E012-451F-8E52-C76D84CDE387

Jeep Wrangler JL Need assistance from NC wheeling crew 9E03085C-8307-4FE6-8118-9CE0EAB5F713

Thanks for the advice everyone. Especially @UNC Rubicon, @ThirtyOne, and @chevymitchell. If I hadn’t plotted out the correct route and downloaded the map to follow in Gaia, I’d be out there lost and angry on one of the forks that looks like the correct main trail but isn’t.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did Hurricane Creek today solo. It was nice. There was only really 1 spot that was a little bit sketchy, off camber narrow part of the road with no margin for error.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need assistance from NC wheeling crew 9E03085C-8307-4FE6-8118-9CE0EAB5F713

Thanks for the advice everyone. Especially @UNC Rubicon, @ThirtyOne, and @chevymitchell. If I hadn’t plotted out the correct route and downloaded the map to follow in Gaia, I’d be out there lost and angry on one of the forks that looks like the correct main trail but isn’t.
wait…what happened to “no Monday?” Kidding aside, glad you enjoyed it. HC is one of the first trails I did with the OG NC group and it will always hold a special place in my mind.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
wait…what happened to “no Monday?” Kidding aside, glad you enjoyed it. HC is one of the first trails I did with the OG NC group and it will always hold a special place in my mind.
Yeah, I screwed that up. Thought we had something planned today but it’s actually tomorrow. So today was the day.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I screwed that up. Thought we had something planned today but it’s actually tomorrow. So today was the day.
Hope you had fun out there. It’s not a technical trail, by any means. But it’s a fun and leisurely trail to ride. Has some great camping spots along the way too.
Sponsored