My soft top flew open on the highway

Mrscowart

First Name
Mindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
We had an alarm installed in my jeep, and apparently they did not latch the talk back down properly... And it flew open on the highway at about sixty five miles per hour in a storm... Now you have to push it to get it to close. And you cannot open it by yourself, unless someone pushes it to release the tension... Any idea where to look first to see what might be bent?
Sponsored

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
We had an alarm installed in my jeep, and apparently they did not latch the talk back down properly... And it flew open on the highway at about sixty five miles per hour in a storm... Now you have to push it to get it to close. And you cannot open it by yourself, unless someone pushes it to release the tension... Any idea where to look first to see what might be bent?
Hi Mindy:

Pictures of the soft top while open would be useful here as would a more specific description of exactly at what point you "have to push it to get it to close."

As it regards the latter, what I mean by that is to describe exactly where in the motion of closing the top that you begin to start facing abnormal resistance. Is it from the moment you begin to close a fully open top whose back windows have been removed and which sits folded up above the tailgate or is it perhaps more the process of closing the top from a position like this one, which I'll call "Sunrider" position, or yet something else?

Jeep Wrangler JL My soft top flew open on the highway 1715001343571-64

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrscowart

First Name
Mindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Apparently installing a light that wore went behind windshield

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
May be easiest to go to Target/WalMart/HomeDepot if it’s nice, creep the parking lot and find a soft top and wait for the person to come out. See if they’ll spend 10 minutes letting you check bar-by-bar. Otherwise you could end up looking at things going “now is that supposed to be like that or…?”.
Sponsored