First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
If you replace an OEM part, the warranty could POSSIBLY be voided if the dealership can prove that what you did was likely to cause whatever warranty claim you are submitting.

It’s just basic risk vs gain when you are changing/upgrading OEM parts.
Dealership repair shops are not controlled by the manufacturer. If you have issues with a warranty claim, try other dealerships.

This thread can now be closed. 🤪
Read up on it here.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As someone new to the brand, what about when you use Mopar stuff? Can you lose your warranty for doing the Mopar lift or like the cold air intake?
It really depends on the dealer.

If you catch your dealer in a shitty mood, he can make an issue of anything, no matter if Sergio Marchionne built the Jeep himself.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty coverage fully hinges on 2 main variables. Finding a good dealer and the attitude of the Jeep owner.

My JLUR is heavily modified. There's nothing from the factory left in the steering and suspension systems, and the list goes on and on.

In the early days of the steering box tsb, I felt that getting my box upgraded would be the final piece of the puzzle. Only having a couple thousand miles left on the factory warranty, I didn't waste time hitting the dealers. After a dozen of them refusing to even look at it, once catching a glimpse of it across their lot, I finally found one that was willing to continue walking all the way up to it.

This is where the customer's attitude comes into play. Having decades under my belt in the repair industry, I know their mindset all too well. Since I already had them go as far as to fully approach my Jeep, I knew it was just a matter of tipping the scales to my benefit. I did so by simply explaining that what I have done to the Jeep is so much more complete and properly done to fully support the added height and tire size than what Jeep themselves have to offer. And that it helped narrow down and reduce the remaining freeplay to the only factory part left. The box. They conceded that everything looked very beefed up and that my Jeep was built to a level far beyond what they've ever seen come into their shop. But I knew they just needed one last nudge. After all, they were staring at a sea of parts they've never encountered. I told them that I was confident enough in that the box was the issue, that if they'd do a quality job of swapping them out and there wasn't any change for the better, I wouldn't marry them to it.

In the end, it turned out great and the box was in fact the last piece needed to make my steering as good as it can get. I was happy and they were happy to make me happy. Again, it boils down to finding a dealer with a genuine inclination to make customers happy, and the right attitude in how you approach them about your issue.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mods and Warranties 20201009_083109
Jeep Wrangler JL Mods and Warranties 20200823_013725

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Again, it boils down to finding a dealer with a genuine inclination to make customers happy, and the right attitude in how you approach them about your issue.
What a thoughtful post and level headed approach to satisfying a need and getting results in your favor. Great post!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What a thoughtful post and level headed approach to satisfying a need and getting results in your favor. Great post!
Thank you kindly!

It's basic psychology really. An ever growing number of the general public seem to think that they are someone special in more than their own mind. That quickly leads to the thought that they will get their desired results with "intimidation" via high volume rants about what they feel they deserve, cursing, etc. But the reality is that we are all very much the same, with differing little details, and all striving towards the same end goals. So, we've become numb and fortified to the above behavior and are ready to let our own pride jump in and defend against it. That inevitably leads to a further down spiral.

I choose to out flank that defense and "pleasantly" surprise people with calm and concise reasoning. Also, I try to best put myself in their shoes to understand where they are coming from, so I can find a path that benefits all parties included.

I forgot a small part of my discussion with the service manager about my box being swapped on warranty, that also serves as an example of what I described. I initially pointed out that the tsb specifically states that the dealer is to order the parts on request. But I unhesitantly continued on by saying that I, at the same time, understand the dealers desire to first inspect the Jeep to ascertain whether or not they feel that performing the tsb will fix the issue.

Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Thing is, with so many electronics on these things, and Fiat’s, shall we say ”less than perfect” track record with electrical stuff, it is really tough to predict whether you will or won’t have a warranty issue.
Agreed!

Different vehicel, but I have owned my 2012 Ram since new...bought out my lease and still have it today......the hemi needed replaced two years ago....THANK GOD I had the MaxCare warranty that I bought seperate.

Yeah, its about $1200 or so every 3 years....but the hemi replacement (plus a-arms as they were galded solid and could not be adjusted at only 45k miles!!!) was in the ballparl of $10,000 in repairs.

And that doesnt even consider all the electronic sensors, wiring etc in our rigs these days.

Unfortunately, it is cheaper these days to keep warranty coverage if you want to keep something long term. or you can pay dearly.

And I wouldn't see it as impossible that FCA would say "sorry sir, your sway bar disconnects are suspension related and the whole system works as a unit, so nothing in the suspension system is covered now" even though the theory is that only aftermarlets parts that directly contribute to another part failing is an issue.....but you have to fight FCA/Chrysler on that...been there, done that and its a PITA.

The other thing that tweaks me is that they advertise our Jeeps and Rams etc as being tough and show them in many off road situations......like sand etc. yet FCA was about to deny my hemi claim because there was some sand in the nooks and crannies in the engine bay.....claiming the truck had been submerged......LOL...which is never was. Just sand blowing up into the bay while driving on the beach a couple times.

They will try and wiggle out of ANY payout, just like any other insurance company.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing that tweaks me is that they advertise our Jeeps and Rams etc as being tough and show them in many off road situations......like sand etc. yet FCA was about to deny my hemi claim because there was some sand in the nooks and crannies in the engine bay.....claiming the truck had been submerged......LOL...which is never was. Just sand blowing up into the bay while driving on the beach a couple times.

They will try and wiggle out of ANY payout, just like any other insurance company.
This right there incenses me about FCA to no end!

Like you say, FCA loves to show Jeeps and Rams crossing rivers and pulling mountains, but when you go in for warranty work, they will make issue of the fact that you drove over a puddle on the way there...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It's basic psychology really. An ever growing general more than their own, quickly leads to "intimidation" via high volume. What they feel is the same end goal. So, I jump in and further down.

I flank and "pleasantly" surprise, putting myself in their shoes and coming. That benefits all parties.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mods and Warranties 1618283363289
Sponsored