Sponsored

Malfunctioning blind spot triangle and rear button (w/lock button light)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I bought my 2020 JLUS in the fall of 2019. I don't recall seeing this problem the first winter (2019) at all. The dealer is a couple of hours away and we are in winter conditions here in the north, so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I can not bring it in in the summer as we can not trigger the problem.

(The short! Side mirror blind spot lights enable (malfunction: turn on and stay on) with auto start OR while driving, but only in the winter, and the rear defrost button enables/disables the light on the lock button on the passenger door).

In the summer of 2020 I noticed the triangle light on my side view mirrors would malfunction with a warning message only when driving offroad (slow speeds along bumpy roads). They would turn on, and stay on, until I turned off the engine.

In the winter (of 2020), the lights would come on when auto starting, and they would stay on until I turned off the engine. Occasionally they would turn on (and stay on) while driving on city roads until I shut off the engine. Sometimes it's both lights, but it is ALWAYS the drivers light.

Summer of 2021, revert to malfunctioning ONLY when driving at slow speeds slow bumpy roads. They did NOT malfunction (they worked as normal during the summer months) while driving city streets or when auto starting the Jeep.

This winter I am noticing that the drivers side malfunctions every time I drive the Jeep, but to add to the fun, the passenger mirror no longer defrosts.

I also noticed that if the passengers side is currently malfunctioning, I can turn it on/off by pressing the rear defrost button.

Whether the lights are working as normal or not, pressing the rear defrost ALSO turns the light off on the lock bottom - every time.

Does anyone have ANY idea what might be going on here? Obviously this is a dealer (warranty) issue, but as mentioned I can't bring it in in the warmer months as they can't replicate the problem, and driving for a couple of hours on icy highway conditions only to leave it there for possibly weeks, is not an option either.

I tried removing the door to check for bent pins and also tried pulling the fuse thinking maybe it was a reset thing. Neither worked.

Any help or advice you can offer would be very much appreciated (electrical issues kind of freak me out).
Sponsored

ridgerunner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 3.6
I'm experiencing a similar issue. Blind spot warning triangles on side mirrors go on and stay on after auto start. Left (or right, I forget) warning triangle turns on/off when rear (or front, I forget) defrost button is pushed. Everything goes back to normal when I turn the vehicle off and restart from inside the vehicle.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Pull the mirror and check the connection inside. You can pull just the mirror to access the wiring I think.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
In the summer of 2020 I noticed the triangle light on my side view mirrors would malfunction with a warning message only when driving offroad (slow speeds along bumpy roads). They would turn on, and stay on, until I turned off the engine.
This is a fairly common theme that's been mentioned in the forums in the past. My 2020 JL and the neighbor's 2019 JL also do this and I suspect that it's not related to the other problems that you're having.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
This is a fairly common theme that's been mentioned in the forums in the past. My 2020 JL and the neighbor's 2019 JL also do this and I suspect that it's not related to the other problems that you're having.
Thank you, Jay! I had a similar thought about this as well.

I'm experiencing a similar issue. Blind spot warning triangles on side mirrors go on and stay on after auto start. Left (or right, I forget) warning triangle turns on/off when rear (or front, I forget) defrost button is pushed. Everything goes back to normal when I turn the vehicle off and restart from inside the vehicle.
Does the lock switch also disable (It's just the light goes out, but come to think of it I haven't checked to see if it still locks and unlocks. I will do that the next time it malfunctions to determine whether or not there is actual power loss to the door itself).

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
UPDATE:

The lock button DOES work when the lights go off (when rear defrost is on), so there IS power to the door.

(Reminder) The passenger side mirror does NOT defrost. This I believe is a separate problem to the blind spot lights malfunctioning, but could possibly maybe have something to do with the rear defrost button disabling the triangle and light on the door lock??

Wait. "It's a Jeep thing." LOL

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
UPDATE:

The lock button DOES work when the lights go off (when rear defrost is on), so there IS power to the door.

(Reminder) The passenger side mirror does NOT defrost. This I believe is a separate problem to the blind spot lights malfunctioning, but could possibly maybe have something to do with the rear defrost button disabling the triangle and light on the door lock??

Wait. "It's a Jeep thing." LOL
Did you find out what the issue was? My 2020 JLUR is doing something similar. The triangles light up when the rear defrost is on and the lights for the power lock controls on the passenger side go out.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
My Yukon had the same issue, took it apart and disconnected everything then reinstalled. Problem went away. The driver side had the triangle coming on and staying on and sometimes would just flash for no reason.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Did you find out what the issue was? My 2020 JLUR is doing something similar. The triangles light up when the rear defrost is on and the lights for the power lock controls on the passenger side go out.
I wish I could say yes. I have no idea what’s wrong. I was thinking maybe the triangle problem had something to do with the thermometer (like how the seats/wheel turn on automatically under 4 degrees) but that doesn’t explain the lock button light.

The passenger defrost not working bothers me the most.

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I wish I could say yes. I have no idea what’s wrong. I was thinking maybe the triangle problem had something to do with the thermometer (like how the seats/wheel turn on automatically under 4 degrees) but that doesn’t explain the lock button light.

The passenger defrost not working bothers me the most.
I'm pretty sure I found the problem. My rear defrost connector failed and is no longer attached (the wire is hanging free). Will be fixing it next week and hopefully my issues will be resolved.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm pretty sure I found the problem. My rear defrost connector failed and is no longer attached (the wire is hanging free). Will be fixing it next week and hopefully my issues will be resolved.
Oh wow. I’ll have to wait for it to warm up a bit, then figure out how to take it off to check. LOL
Thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear you figured it out… hopefully. Fingers crossed!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m not sure about the other issues but I have also experienced the sensors being disabled when I go off-road. I can’t remember if it happens every time but it’s certainly happened a few times, including a couple of days ago when I passed through a forest road. The way it usually happens is after driving for a while on dry, dusty roads, I get a message on the EVIC telling me that the blind spot sensors are unavailable due to obstructions, which I assume is the constant dust in the air and/or on the sensors, and the triangle lights on both mirrors stay illuminated the entire time.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’m not sure about the other issues but I have also experienced the sensors being disabled when I go off-road. I can’t remember if it happens every time but it’s certainly happened a few times, including a couple of days ago when I passed through a forest road. The way it usually happens is after driving for a while on dry, dusty roads, I get a message on the EVIC telling me that the blind spot sensors are unavailable due to obstructions, which I assume is the constant dust in the air and/or on the sensors, and the triangle lights on both mirrors stay illuminated the entire time.
I get this a lot on trails when I’m about to have a wheel speed sensor go out. Takes the lockers with it until fixed. It’s happened enough I found the trend.

Has anyone tried a retrain at the dealer? I had a VW do this in winter and a retrain fixed it. I don’t think it will help until the defrost issue is fixed, I’m just thinking it’s actually 2 issues colliding.
Sponsored