Sponsored

LSD vs Lockers

ridesaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sport; 2014 Dodge Durango, 2009 Dodge Ram
Dear Jeepers,
I am researching a Jeep build, JLU or JT. I have researched many options and I am leaning towards the 6 speed manual. Jeep offers open differentials and an option for a LSD rear axle. When you opt for the Rubicon you know both axles lock (OEM). I have a few questions about differentials:
What is the opinion of LSD for off-road use?
If I plan to upgrade the axles to lockers is it suggested to not purchase LSD on the sport model?
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Dear Jeepers,
I am researching a Jeep build, JLU or JT. I have researched many options and I am leaning towards the 6 speed manual. Jeep offers open differentials and an option for a LSD rear axle. When you opt for the Rubicon you know both axles lock (OEM). I have a few questions about differentials:
What is the opinion of LSD for off-road use?
If I plan to upgrade the axles to lockers is it suggested to not purchase LSD on the sport model?
A limited slip differential will not provide 100% lockup between both axles. A locker will and if it electronic or air actuated (arb), it is on-demand. You turn it on and you turn it off. A locker will provide more predictable driving characteristics during moderate to extreme off roading. You won’t find many, if any, serious wheelers using or advocating for a lsd. They are great for the people exploring fire roads to camp or hunt and are great at the boat ramp or construction site.

If you plan to immediately upgrade, I wouldn’t spend the money on a lsd. Now if that lsd option brings the Dana 44 over a Dana 35, it is well worth the upgrade. I’m not sure how the options work as I have a rubicon.