Looking to get 4 wheel driving experience

jaj6127

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
OK, I am new to the Jeep community and want to learn more about going off-road. Is there a place or a group I can join to learn more and get the confidence that I am not going to kill my Jeep or myself. I would even go to a course if there is one. Been on the Beach but want to do more with my Jeep. I currently have a 2.5 inch lift and 35x12.5 tires on the jeep with a Rubicon Express lift.

I am in the Raleigh NC area, but have no issues traveling

Thanks

Jim DiBeneditto
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Jim, id suggest you start with fire service roads through the forests in the mountains. Your Jeep should easily handle them and you will get to experience mud holes, ruts, rocks and water crossings. take it slow and easy and you wont tear up anything. After you’ve done that for a bit you can always get into more intense off reading if you wish. Ive found fire trails a lot of fun and know they can take you to interesting places well off the beaten track. take a shovel, a come along and a snatch strap with you and you shouldn’t have any worries. Have fun.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
If you're looking for actual instruction you might consider these folks: https://offroad-consulting.com
They run courses at a couple of off road parks in Pennsylvania. Everyone seem to give them high grades.

Later,
Johnny

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jim,

If you’re interested in getting together with like minded folks, send me a PM. We have a GroupMe chat with over 60 folks around NC. We use the chat to keep up, get advice about all things Jeeps, and plan group rides. Some of our group just got back from Windrock today.

Edit: also check out the North Carolina Roll Call thread. Folks are usually pretty active there as well.

OP
OP

jaj6127

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Jim, id suggest you start with fire service roads through the forests in the mountains. Your Jeep should easily handle them and you will get to experience mud holes, ruts, rocks and water crossings. take it slow and easy and you wont tear up anything. After you’ve done that for a bit you can always get into more intense off reading if you wish. Ive found fire trails a lot of fun and know they can take you to interesting places well off the beaten track. take a shovel, a come along and a snatch strap with you and you shouldn’t have any worries. Have fun.
Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP

jaj6127

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Jim,

If you’re interested in getting together with like minded folks, send me a PM. We have a GroupMe chat with over 60 folks around NC. We use the chat to keep up, get advice about all things Jeeps, and plan group rides. Some of our group just got back from Windrock today.

Edit: also check out the North Carolina Roll Call thread. Folks are usually pretty active there as well.
Thanks, I will def get in touch with you. I

OP
OP

jaj6127

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thank you

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
If you're looking for actual instruction you might consider these folks: https://offroad-consulting.com
They run courses at a couple of off road parks in Pennsylvania. Everyone seem to give them high grades.

Later,
Johnny
What he said.

It's about 7 hours from Raleigh if you choose one of their 101 classes at Rausch Creek Off Road Park. I've done some guided rides with them and have heard from people who have done their 101 and 201 courses. Well worth it! And Rausch Creek is a legit place to wheel; I'd recommend taking the trip up to PA for that alone.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I highly recommend taking an off road course and joining a local club. I did both, took the Offroad Consulting 101 Course at Rausch and they went through the basics for a max of 30 mins and then on the trail the rest of the day. They handed out walkie talkies and we learned while approaching different obstacles and trails.

A quick search and I found Blue Ridge Expeditions. you could reach out to them for class schedules, etc.

“Blue Ridge Expeditions is a “brand-neutral” educational based adventure company providing world class training for the off-road enthusiast. We offer groups and individuals the chance to further their knowledge of proper and safe methods involved with 4x4 driving, vehicle recovery, winch safety, and more. Our team consists of a select group of certified off-road driving instructors and vehicle experts.”

Also, found the Central North Carolina 4x4 club that is in your area.

“The Central North Carolina 4×4 Club is an incorporated, non-profit organization open to all makes and models of street legal 4WD vehicles. CNC 4×4 promotes off-road recreation in a responsible, family-friendly and welcoming environment. Our members range from first time 4-wheelers to seasoned veterans.”
”The club is based in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (RTP) area. From Wilmington to the Triad to Charlotte, we have members all across North Carolina.”

I hope the information is helpful.

Stay safe and have fun!
Sponsored

Last edited: