Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Some great suggestions here. I'm just tired of the all black look, and the fact that I had to do many touch ups on my Fab Four bumpers.

Titanium isn't a good option for several reasons, but mostly the fabrication problems.

Who is the go to for custom bumper design and fabrication? I'm not looking for something really simple and plain, so it's going to take a little more skill than the average backyard welder.
What are you thinking? There’s only so much that can be done to maintain Offroad capabilities and not hurt your approach angle? We’ve come across a ton of bumpers and could steer you towards a company that might have what you’re looking for. Could also take one from a company you like and modify it to fit you some. It doesn’t pencil out for me to build a bumper from scratch due to the tremendous amount of time needed to hit my quality threshold.

Brett
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Some great suggestions here. I'm just tired of the all black look, and the fact that I had to do many touch ups on my Fab Four bumpers.

Titanium isn't a good option for several reasons, but mostly the fabrication problems.

Who is the go to for custom bumper design and fabrication? I'm not looking for something really simple and plain, so it's going to take a little more skill than the average backyard welder.
Why do u think titanium wouldn't be good??

Titanium is actually the best option - is very light, very strong and will not rust. It's just very expensive.

Fabricating should be relatively easy, just avoid welding. Bend and shape...but design it so pieces bolt together.

You could even anodize it different colors if you so choose.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
If touch up is your primary concern....as you know, you're limited to aluminum or stainless, since Ti is really out of the realm of plausibility IMO.

Those materials will severely limit your choices of pre-made bumpers and will drive the costs even higher; especially if you go the route of the small fab shop. In short, $2500 might not even cover it....but it depends on the process you demand for welding. Tig would be significantly more time consuming that spool gunning AL or SS.
Alum waaaaay to soft...for a bumper?

OP
OP

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
I personally agree...but there are a lot of guys that think "performance=light weight"....while not recognizing that they are driving a 2.5T Jeep to begin with; if performance were the goal...they'd buy/build a buggy. That said, most people don't want and/or don't financially prioritize the lifestyle such a dedicated choice would entail and therefore, it's all about optimizing what you have.

Not to mention that if you want anything close to the appreciable strength and dent/deformation resistance of steel in your aluminum choice, you need to increase the material thickness by at least a 3rd....so the 1/3 weight savings of steel vs. aluminum is greatly reduced anyway....and it's still not as strong.

Everything's a trade off...in this case, it sounds like the OP is really just wanting to not have to worry about touch up. He's willing to trade the brute strength/protection of steel for the lower maintenance on the finish for aluminum....and he's also going to pay more but it will weigh less while the inverse is true for steel.

His vehicle, his choice.

Actually I am looking for something that probably doesn't really exist. I want the look of brushed or polished aluminum, or close to it (clear anodized) in a steel bumper. I thought SS might get me close, but it's not really out there. I don't want to sacrifice strength, which is what draws me away from aluminum. I like the appearance of the finish on the ROAM bumpers, for example, but I don't think aluminum is a good choice for me.

I am not so worried about weight. whats a few pounds really. There are people that way 50lbs more than me driving their Jeep down the road, and i doubt they feel much of a difference in power. Besides, on a road trip I pack like a Boy Scout anyway. I have a sports car to go fast, the Jeep is to go where many can't.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Actually I am looking for something that probably doesn't really exist. I want the look of brushed or polished aluminum, or close to it (clear anodized) in a steel bumper. I thought SS might get me close, but it's not really out there. I don't want to sacrifice strength, which is what draws me away from aluminum. I like the appearance of the finish on the ROAM bumpers, for example, but I don't think aluminum is a good choice for me.

I am not so worried about weight. whats a few pounds really. There are people that way 50lbs more than me driving their Jeep down the road, and i doubt they feel much of a difference in power. Besides, on a road trip I pack like a Boy Scout anyway. I have a sports car to go fast, the Jeep is to go where many can't.
Have you tried https://haukoffroad.com/shop-by/jl-products/

Most of there bumpers, guards, plates can be ordered in bare steel.

If worse comes to worse...rip yo bumpers off and wrap the exposed frame in aluminum foil lol

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Bead blast the stainless...then clear coat it. That's the closest you're likely to get.
Bead blast the stainless...then clear coat it. That's the closest you're likely to get.
Yes agree

Would go w/ a heavy 60grit blast for better finish and more of a steel color. The lighter grits will be harder to get an even finish and will look more silver than steel.

Blow off residual dust after blast with clean air, wipe down with an acetone/alcohol. Then spray clear coat.

Good luck !

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I think the biggest problem the OP will encounter is finding a vendor willing to do a special run in stainless....and...he'll need to specify the type. Depending on heat treat and alloy....some stainless is extremely brittle. Don't know what I'd personally choose; maybe a 316??

In any case OP, find the design you like, contact the company making them and see if they'd be willing to do it in the stainless alloy of your choice. Just realize you'll need to commit to an entire production run requirement in terms of sheet stainless as well as stainless wire (guessing it will be migged aka GMAW welded). Depending on bracketry and size/complexity of the bumper....that could equate to a couple 4x8' sheets...which could be $$$.

You better tell them that you're willing to make that commitment upfront (about paying the material costs up front) or they likely will just tell you that's not an option....and be prepared for them to tell you that anyway. Again, true custom one off is EXTREMELY expensive.
I would go 420 and heat treat to a 36(ish) hardness.

...could always buy a bumper that's been powedercoated, have the coating sanded off then sand blast the sh*t out of it.

Will be expensive in labor costs though

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Yeah, but isn't he trying to get stainless? Although, if he's clear coating it...I'm not sure why he needs stainless either.

Heat treating is going to add quite a bit to his costs too....especially since all the places here charge a set up fee and then a per pound fee. Not sure heat treating is even necessary if you go with a malleable enough alloy in the first place.
Good point

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I've looked at everything I can find, and just can't seem to find what I am looking for. I had Fab Four bumpers on my Jk and loved them, but I'm tired of black everything. I have a new silver JLUR, and I want to find a front winch bumper that is silver, preferably unfinished stainless or steel with maybe just a clear coat on it. I would like to keep the factory fogs, but I could be talked into an upgrade, if it's round. I know... I just think the front fogs and accessory lighting looks better if it's round like the headlights.

Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill? I'm open to a stubby, or mid length if the winch doesn't block the radiator too much.

I am doing red beadlock wheels for a little color pop, and I don't want to go quite monochromatic on the bumpers, so color matching them isn't an option I like.
If you're just wanting the look of stainless steel, vinyl wrap is available in brushed metal textured finishes. Of course some bumper designs would lend themselves to be vinyl wrapped more than others. Here's a picture of some brushed metal vinyl wrap I have, not sure which brush metal it's simulating. https://www.metrorestyling.com/ sells samples for $1 so you can get a look before you make a larger purchase.

brushed metal vinyl.jpg

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
There’s a powder coat color that is an imitation chrome, but it looks dull compared to real chrome, it might be what you are looking for?

You could also probably have it Hydrodipped to look like stainless?

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Can it be touched up at home or does it have to be re-wrapped?
It would be DIY all the way, as long as you don't care if there are some seams. The trick would be to section the wrap so the surfaces prone to damage would be simple to remove and replace.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
It would be DIY all the way, as long as you don't care if there are some seams. The trick would be to section the wrap so the surfaces prone to damage would be simple to remove and replace.
Please dont wallpaper your bumper...please, I beg you.