key program through ODB port

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Anyone have luck in make remote key DIY at home?
My situation is I water damaged one key of my 20 Jeep JLUS, and I also lost TWO of my remote keys of 14 Toyota rav4.
Does it make sense to invest into universal ODB key programmer instead of paying key smith to copy keys for me?
Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
A universal key programmer, one that actually works and works across a large assortment of vehicles is expensive. We're talking $1k+. Unless you've got money to burn or you plan on adding keys for a number of people, the general advice is to find a local locksmith that will do this for you. Yes, some modern-day locksmiths will duplicate electronic vehicle keys.

But, even with the right equipment, there can be special requirements that you don't know about. For example, some vehicles require that you have at least one working key in order to create more duplicate keys. I don't know what this or any other special rules are for FCA vehicles, but FCA is a bit more problematic because it's got the secure gateway requirement hoop that software vendors have to jump through to create a working solution for our vehicles.

But I don't have a specific tool that I can suggest to you. If you're still enthusiastic, you might find a few vendors and actually ask their support department what device support a [year] [make] [model] vehicle and what other additional requirements are needed to create/authorize electronic keys.

Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in and provide some specific details.