Sponsored

JL Variants/Limited Editions

What do you think? Will there be more than just the standard 3 JLs offered at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
The Willys package seems popular enough that I think we'll probably see it. Plus we've seen the vented hood and stuff that would make sense on a higher end rubicon package. I think those would be the two that you'll see. So the line up would look like Sport, Sport+, Sahara, Rubicon, Rubicon+.
I'm thinking there will be an upgraded edition package for all 3. (Sahara too, something like a winter edition)
Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Did everyone forget that the 2018 model year is the 15th anniversary of the Jeep Rubicon trim? They did a 10th anniversary, so I'd bet my Jeep that they'll do a 15th.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they do it! I'd like a special color with a slight lift and 33" tires. I'd order that up in a heartbeat.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
There's no way the JL comes out without any kind of goofy appearance package edition from the start. This is Jeep we're talking about here.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's no way the JL comes out without any kind of goofy appearance package edition from the start. This is Jeep we're talking about here.
They typically won't do that in the beginning, because demand will outstrip supply. As soon as demand starts to wane, however, you can bet on soe special editions and appearance packages. Of course, some dealers will do goofy appearance packages right off the bat, and then charge a premium for them. Why do they do that? Because they can and there is a market for them. My brother once bought a YJ with stickers all over it that looked like an oasis. It was actually a fun looking Jeep, but just not my own personal preference. The dealer who put that together charged an extra $1k for it, and my brother negotiated it down to $500. They made 500 bucks off it and sold the Jeep quickly, so it was a win for them.

Sponsored

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
Did everyone forget that the 2018 model year is the 15th anniversary of the Jeep Rubicon trim? They did a 10th anniversary, so I'd bet my Jeep that they'll do a 15th.
Question is do they do both JK and JL anniversary editions? One would think they would save it for the new model but maybe due to short supply and the fact that JK's are more profitable at the very end of its lifespan they will save it for the JK.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Question is do they do both JK and JL anniversary editions? One would think they would save it for the new model but maybe due to short supply and the fact that JK's are more profitable at the very end of its lifespan they will save it for the JK.
Given that rumors that FCA is struggling to keep the JL release on-schedule, my guess is that they will take the path of least resistance and limit special editions to the JK only. They've already got everything in place to do slight tweaks to the JK, but with the JL, they're scrambling to get the assembly lines up and running, so any tweaking would distract from that goal. I would therefore expect only the three basic trim levels on the JL at launch.

I'll add the popular disclaimer: "I hope I'm dead wrong."

OP
OP

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
The higher trim Rubicon is probably going to happen considering the leaked picture we saw showed (what seems to be) steel bumpers

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The higher trim Rubicon is probably going to happen considering the leaked picture we saw showed (what seems to be) steel bumpers
Some have speculated that the steel bumpers could become an option on the regular-spec Rubicon.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some have speculated that the steel bumpers could become an option on the regular-spec Rubicon.
That is interesting, as weight reduction was supposedly one of the highest priorities for the JL.

Sponsored

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is interesting, as weight reduction was supposedly one of the highest priorities for the JL.
You can reduce the weight by choosing a soft top over a hard top, but would they therefore eliminate the hard-top option? Probably not. Similarly, I don't see why they would refuse to offer an optional steel bumper due to a weight-saving initiative.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Given that rumors that FCA is struggling to keep the JL release on-schedule, my guess is that they will take the path of least resistance and limit special editions to the JK only. They've already got everything in place to do slight tweaks to the JK, but with the JL, they're scrambling to get the assembly lines up and running, so any tweaking would distract from that goal. I would therefore expect only the three basic trim levels on the JL at launch.

I'll add the popular disclaimer: "I hope I'm dead wrong."
That's the first I'm hearing of those rumors. I'd be surprised if it were delayed. The JL prototypes have been testing in droves for a long time so it seems FCA was prepared to do extensive testing on the JL which seems more like an evolution than a full clean slate redesign. Or is this a plant/retooling issue?

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's the first I'm hearing of those rumors. I'd be surprised if it were delayed. The JL prototypes have been testing in droves for a long time so it seems FCA was prepared to do extensive testing on the JL which seems more like an evolution than a full clean slate redesign. Or is this a plant/retooling issue?
I'll have to try to find the article, but I remember reading somewhere that Marchionne said that getting the Toledo plant retooled in time to get the JL out this year would be a significant challenge. I think the limited JL availability that we've all heard about, and the continuation of the JK into mid-2018 both support that notion. So yes, I'm referring to a plant/retooling issue which would limit the amount of JL tweaking that they would be willing to do for special editions. That in itself is pure speculation on my part, but I do believe that the fact that FCA is struggling to get the JL out this year is well-supported elsewhere.

Also consider that it took two years from the release of the initial JK before any special editions were added, but admittedly, Jeep has gotten much more into the special edition thing since then, so maybe it won't take as long this time.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that the new line will be absolute state of the art, and purpose built for the way Jeep knows how to make profit, which is through special editions & add-ons. The first generation of JLs will be Rubicons & Saharas with a few Sport X models for the dealer's "loss leader" formula (get you on the lot and UPsell!). Having sad that, and like you said, there may not be any "Islander" or "Big Bear" type special editions for the first year anyway. Blah blah blah, I need more coffee...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
At launch nothing, within the first Model year 2 Special Editions, within the first year of production 3 SEs.

And from the sound of it there will still be the 4 bases if you properly consider the Sport Base (was Sport-B, and X before that, now just 'Sport') as different (as the build sheet does) and then the Sport-S, Sahara and Rubicon.

The introduction of the TinyWhineyTurbo4 makes for a different offering grouping, and from the looks of it the Pentastar will be the premium offering split (Sahara/Rubi) and the 4cyl as the entry level split (Sport/Sport-S or whatever they call them).

Also the arguments for/against special editions make no sense. FCA didn't need ANY of these special editions, they've been selling more Wranglers than normal capacity for years, yet they have al these special editions... to boost lagging sales? Nah, that's not the motive.
Sponsored