Sponsored

JL soft top- running without rear window

Docsleep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Has anyone figured out a way to run the JL soft top with the top up, side windows in, and rear window removed? Since the rear window creates the tension needed to keep the side windows in, some sort of strap or retaining device would be needed to hold the side windows in place but I am not smart enough to figure out a good system.

With my JK I rarely had the rear window in place, even in the winter, and I'd love to be able to drive the JL with my rear window out also.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Would only need to be secured along the bottom - the tops are snapped in place.

I'm thinking as simple as a nylon strap with a hook on either end, fashioned to fit into the same groove as the rear window. With a clip in the middle for easy removal.

Would need to find a way to keep it from riding up or it'll loosen, but that could be as simple as rubberizing the strap, or having the hook tie in underneath the rear columns.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Maybe I'm missing something....top in the closed position, back window removed. I drove most of last summer like this. The hard corners keep the side windows in place. No problems, including highway driving.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Maybe I'm missing something....top in the closed position, back window removed. I drove most of last summer like this. The hard corners keep the side windows in place. No problems, including highway driving.
The hard corners are just kinda snapped in place at the bottom, and not very positively. A bad gust of wind and they can pop out very easily. They are not secure without the rear window.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The hard corners are just kinda snapped in place at the bottom, and not very positively. A bad gust of wind and they can pop out very easily. They are not secure without the rear window.
The Bestop Trektop NX Glide I had was built this way, and I ran it without a rear window all the time. Never had a problem.

Sponsored

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
this. everyday. never had a issue. the side windows are snapped in and they are in their channels and velcro's . I had to re-read this question 3 times lol. go 4 it op ; you'll be fine

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I personally would not trust the clip on the bottom rear of the side windows to hold. If and when that pops loose, I think the bottom edge could come out of the body groove pretty easily, and then the whole thing is going to flap around and possibly come all the way off.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but be careful running with no back window with the side windows installed. The owner’s manual specifically warns against doing this.

“Do not drive the vehicle with the rear window up/removed unless the quarter windows are also removed. Dangerous exhaust gases could enter the vehicle causing harm to the driver and passengers.”

Enjoy your Jeep!

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
possibly drill an 1/8" hole down the tab or clip on rear corner and set a thumb screw in it? I agree, having the front windows down some to give airflow.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but be careful running with no back window with the side windows installed. The owner’s manual specifically warns against doing this.

“Do not drive the vehicle with the rear window up/removed unless the quarter windows are also removed. Dangerous exhaust gases could enter the vehicle causing harm to the driver and passengers.”

Enjoy your Jeep!
Good point !!

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The other reason for not runnung the jeep with the rear window out, is----

CARBONMONXIDE--intrusion, especially durring summer hot days--

If you question this "VEHICLE EXHAUST CARBONMONOXICE FACT"--

Heh Heh--it's already started on YOU !

W.E.

JIMBO

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The other reason for not runnung the jeep with the rear window out, is----

CARBONMONXIDE--intrusion, especially durring summer hot days--

If you question this "VEHICLE EXHAUST CARBONMONOXICE FACT"--

Heh Heh--it's already started on YOU !

W.E.

JIMBO
Was just going to state the same thing.

Not good to breath in even if in small increments. Over time not good

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah the rear window for sure creates tension for keeping the side windows tight but I have driven with it out before I thought about it. Never lost a side window but the back window for sure adds rigidity too them.

I have also driven with the doors off but kept all three windows IN. 300 or so mile trip and didn’t lose one.
Sponsored