Sponsored

JL Rubicon Axle Specs

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Here is Shad taking the "straight-shot" line on the Rocker Knocker on Pitchett Canyon trail.

Don't know how long those 44s will take that kind of abuse, but I'd wager that a JK rear 44 in that same scenario would've been hurt.

That JL has the EVO 2.5 Boost kit, modified flares and a little sheet metal trimming to fit the big 40" Nitto tires on it. No gears, no alloy axles, no extra fluff. Just a boost kit and some trimming.
Damn, I would definitely say the new axles are STRONG!
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Damn, I would definitely say the new axles are STRONG!

It's pretty cool they held up to to that week in Moab, doubt they will last with that sort of abuse for very long.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Rubicon shaft diameter and spline count hasn't changed from the JK, still 32 spline 1.366" on the rear and 1.30" - 30 spline inners on the front (32 spline outers).
Actually the rubicon shafts are now 32 spline outer and inner.
http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/82zRkJu59KQ7gJBaf/PERF-JLADVANTEK-42018.pdf?token=eyJhdXRoVG9rZW4iOiIifQ==&store=original

page 3.

Also, all advantek dana 44 rears 32 spine! I wonder if that means sport owners with the D44 can put in a rubicon locker?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Actually the rubicon shafts are now 32 spline outer and inner.
You're right, that was written back in Feb, when there was very little info out on these and DANA was very tight lipped about anything. We passed on what they told us, then we find out different info as time goes on.

Also, all advantek dana 44 rears 32 spine! I wonder if that means sport owners with the D44 can put in a rubicon locker?
According to this PDF from DANA it says all:

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.38.45 AM.png

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You're right, that was written back in Feb, when there was very little info out on these and DANA was very tight lipped about anything. We passed on what they told us, then we find out different info as time goes on.

According to this PDF from DANA it says all:

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.38.45 AM.png
Nice! Think a Rubi locker would work in a sport 220mm 44? Assuming they in fact are both 32 spline.

I called Dana and they told me the locker is an Eaton..so I emailed Eaton about splines etc...nothing Back yet. Also I have the part number for the locker but nothing shows anywhere available in the US

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Haven't heard yet how compatible they are. I would like to think they'd make it easy, but you know how big corporations can be, LoL!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Haven't heard yet how compatible they are. I would like to think they'd make it easy, but you know how big corporations can be, LoL!
I also just remembered that JK Rubicon shafts are unequal lengths and a JK Rubicon locker won’t work in sport JK because of the unequal lengths...hmmm. I wonder how the advantek 44 shafts are..

And not just because of the spline count.. from what I read

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Thanks for all the info Tim. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've done some searches and I'm not coming up with examples of people reporting axle issues with 37's. It sounds more and more like an easy on the skinny, moderate wheeler can probably get away with 37's on a Rubi with no reinforcements needed. Maybe just a gear swap to 4.88s.

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Are there any Spicer (or equivalent) part numbers available for replacement front axle shaft U-joints? While I'm not abusing mine on 40's on Pritchett every weekend, I'd still like to pack a spare just in case...

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Are there any Spicer (or equivalent) part numbers available for replacement front axle shaft U-joints? While I'm not abusing mine on 40's on Pritchett every weekend, I'd still like to pack a spare just in case...
Yeah in here.
http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/69W4GaguCWzKeHBK6/DAG-JKPRODBRO-112016.pdf?
store=original

They have kits with FAD and a FAD removal option. That does not say anything about the transfer case though and if you need to modify it.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
40s On stock Rubicon axles sounds very promising. I’m only going 37. :)

vaijab

First Name
Vaidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I have done axles swap. I put JL axles on my 2016 JK. The JL axles are quite a bit wider. In terms of compatibility, there are few things to consider:

- JL rear shocks mounting bracket angle needs to change, so cut the brackets and weld them at a different angle.
- I am in the process of figuring out whether JL wheel speed sensors work the same way. JL's got the same number of tone ring teeth (as far as I can tell).

Anyone else has done a swap and has more insights in how to program JK to make traction control and speed sensing happy?

vaijab

First Name
Vaidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Does anyone know whether JL wheel speed sensors are different in how they work compared to JK?
Sponsored