Sponsored

JL Hardtop Measurements

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone measure the hardtop of the new JLU 4/door? There are a few of us who need to build a table and/or hoist system and this would be of great help. It will still be several weeks before it arrives, but we could get started on building now. Thanks!

hardtop-measurements.jpg
Any chance someone has the measurement of “A” from the middle (where it’s shorter than from the outer edge)?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’ve taken mine off by myself. Won’t do that again. Wife is too short to get a good grip on it. It’s not heavy just very awkward. I’m building a u shaped table to slide it on to. Once I get my Bestop NX then I’m going to hoist in garage until I sell or trade Jeep.HATE the freakin Hard Top.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
C37A214D-920B-48B6-A91E-0EA1AFEB2ADA.jpeg
Looking for this distance.
The entire length is 68". The distance between the curved part and the edge where the rain gutter stops is 3", so that should be 65" between those two points you marked in the picture. My hardtop is up on the ceiling and the Jeep is under it so I can't measure the entire length, but I can reach that one edge, which is 3". I used a yard stick as a straight edge to give me a reference point to the center curved point. Hopefully someone can measure the full part for you to confirm.

Sponsored

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The entire length is 68". The distance between the curved part and the edge where the rain gutter stops is 3", so that should be 65" between those two points you marked in the picture. My hardtop is up on the ceiling and the Jeep is under it so I can't measure the entire length, but I can reach that one edge, which is 3". I used a yard stick as a straight edge to give me a reference point to the center curved point. Hopefully someone can measure the full part for you to confirm.
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I was guessing 6” shorter. I’m in early planning stages of designing my hoist & loft set up. Not a good idea to do this without the main ingredient (Jeep) but it keeps me occupied during the waiting period (ordered 9-29).

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I was guessing 6” shorter. I’m in early planning stages of designing my hoist & loft set up. Not a good idea to do this without the main ingredient (Jeep) but it keeps me occupied during the waiting period (ordered 9-29).
It is about 6 inches if you include those edges that go beyond the section that has the mini rain gutters. Yeah, I think I ordered about $800 worth of stuff before mine even arrived, so I know the feeling well. Tailgate table, molle pouches, roof rack, side rails, etc. etc. etc.

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
can someone confirm the exterior width at the widest point (4-door top)? The post says E is 60 inches but I've read some conflicting posts elsewhere (63-65 inches). I would like to build a hanging shelf to rest the top on after being hoisted up.
thanks.

Last edited:

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
can someone confirm the exterior width at the widest point (4-door top)? The post says E is 60 inches but I've read some conflicting posts elsewhere (63-65 inches). I would like to build a hanging shelf to rest the top on after being hoisted up.
thanks.
Any love?

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
Cheapest and easiest solution- 4 eye bolts and 4 ratchet straps. I hang the roof from the ceiling in my garage, just hook the ratchet strap to each corner, give them each a couple clicks and it lifts right up. Then it hangs there for me to park underneath it.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Cheapest and easiest solution- 4 eye bolts and 4 ratchet straps. I hang the roof from the ceiling in my garage, just hook the ratchet strap to each corner, give them each a couple clicks and it lifts right up. Then it hangs there for me to park underneath it.
How well are the ratchet straps putting it down?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All of this reminds me of the Rube Goldberg top lift a guy I know made. Although he did forget to put a rachet lock on it and it came crashing to the floor because he let up on the rope when he was hoisting. $150 purchase versus $3,500 replacement top. Although even if you purchase one if you don't install it correctly you are back at the $3,500 point.

You could be like my cousin - he built a 6 car garage and he can sit his on the floor in the empty bay. But he is up to 5 cars now so he may need to add on.

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
How well are the ratchet straps putting it down?
Not hard at all. Just hold the corner you're lowering with one hand, release the ratchet with the other, then pull the hook off and set it down. Work your way around.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
So in theory I should be able to carry a hardtop in the back of my JLU? (with the top down of course)
Sponsored