2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have some spare cash laying around after picking up that shiny new JLR why not splurge and get yourself the swiss army knife of the adventure camping world. I love the Australian and South African designs, they are basically bomb proof durable, and have some interesting features.

http://conqueror4x4usa.com/

IMG_2758-768x576.jpg

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
1000x500-jtree-j30-white.JPG

I'm going to live out of my JL for the next two years, driving to South America. I know you asked about a two-door, but here's the popup tent I'm buying for my JL ASAP. It's not cheap, but well worth it for me but does require a 4 door. Take out the rear seats and I'll have a decent amount of room to cary everything I need.

Wind noise is lower with the Ursa Minor and MPG impact is negligible

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/jeep-camper.html

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm going to live out of my JL for the next two years, driving to South America. I know you asked about a two-door, but here's the popup tent I'm buying for my JL ASAP. It's not cheap, but well worth it for me but does require a 4 door. Take out the rear seats and I'll have a decent amount of room to cary everything I need.

Has Ursa Minor commented on how long it will take to develop the J30 for the JL?
If you are considering removing the rear seats consider a Goose Gear flat floor kit. OOOOH the possibilities!

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Ursa Minor commented on how long it will take to develop the J30 for the JL?
If you are considering removing the rear seats consider a Goose Gear flat floor kit. OOOOH the possibilities!
I've been emailing with the owner (nice guy!) for a few months and he expects to have it ready in spring 2018. I care very much because the day it's installed, is the day I leave! He's in the same boat, and just has to wait for his JL to start the work.

AND here's what I'm really excited about
> ursaminorvehicles And you'll still be able to put the windshield down...
can see myself sitting in the drivers seat, fishing out the front window :)

Sponsored

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
Looking into a JLUR myself primarily for camping. Have a CVT RTT and ARB fridge I'm hoping to move from my 4Runner across the platforms and hope we get some offerings quickly. I've had poor experience with Gobi and plan to go with FrontRunner this time if they come to market fast enough.

Luckily being a Jeep, the aftermarket scene won't be behind long...

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Not to hijack the thread but, as I'm contemplating moving to Panama, I'm curious about your plan on crossing the Darien Gap. I know it's been an on-again/off-again thing but last I'd heard was that the ferry had closed. Very curious to hear what the latest options are (and best of luck when you hit the road on your travel, sounds fantastic!).

OP
OP
GRAK

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

These trailers are killer. I'm probably going to remove the JL's rear seats to free up some room. That Goose Gear flat floor kit looks good...

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These trailers are killer. I'm probably going to remove the JL's rear seats to free up some room. That Goose Gear flat floor kit looks good...
There are many trailers, so many that you can spend days literally looking at them. Then you are going to "Need" a 12v/120v refrigerator because, never having to buy ice is a thing.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to hijack the thread but, as I'm contemplating moving to Panama, I'm curious about your plan on crossing the Darien Gap. I know it's been an on-again/off-again thing but last I'd heard was that the ferry had closed. Very curious to hear what the latest options are (and best of luck when you hit the road on your travel, sounds fantastic!).
Thanks for the encouragement! You're right, that the ferry is gone. The only option now is to get a shipping container and and stuff the Jeep inside, then then fly and meet the jeep on the other side. If you have a motorcycle you might be able to find a fisherman or someone with a big boat to take you and your bike.

It's a little easier and cheaper to ship recently but still lots of paperwork and still a thousand or two dollars last I checked. But people do it semi-regularly. I'll hire a local broker to handle the paperwork.

How exciting you may move to Panama! Great place to have a Jeep and go exploring Central America!

Sponsored

Solar Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Rooftop tents make sense on African safaris to provide some distance from wildlife but I'm surprised how much they are being advertised for use in the U.S. Even REI is carrying rooftop tents ($1000-2000). For $200-$300 you could get a nice backpacking tent that would take very little space in the Jeep and which would allow you to drive your Jeep without having to remove or fold up a cumbersome tent from the roof. I've done a lot of camping when I had Miatas -- using a backpack tent and hauling behind the seats a 12' x 12' Eureka Northern Breeze screenroom (very highly recommend).

Alternatively, I'd look at a teardrop trailer -- which typically weigh around 1000-1200 pounds. I just sold one that I'd used for years with my Honda Element. CampInn and So-Cal (out of southern California) are among the best manufacturers. So-Cal has off-road versions. Mine was from Little Guy (cheaper than Camp Inn and So-Cal) and saw a lot of use in National Parks and state parks.

If you'd be interested in building your own little trailer, teardrop or otherwise, this "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers" forum is a fantastic resource:

http://www.tnttt.com/

I don't know if I'll get a Jeep Wrangler but am seriously considering it and am pondering its camping gear capacity. Probably greater than my Miatas....

Btw, here's a thread from the Teardrop forum that shows my setup which I was using for ten years. Had the trailer painted to match my Element. That teardrop was a 6' wide (king-size bed) but if I were getting another one today I'd get a 5'-wide (queen-size). Teardrops typically have a kitchen in the back that you access from the rear hatch. I had mine built without the kitchen (we usually cooked over a campfire). This trailer weighed 900 lbs empty.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23387

I'll second the idea of a Little Guy teardrop trailer towed behind a 2 door Wrangler. I used one for a 2 week camping trip in the Florida Keys - it was fantastic. The rear deck cooking facility was all I needed complete with a two burner stove and a small electric fridge. It even had A/C in the sleeping area. At about 1,000 pounds all up so it can be easily towed.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I plan to tour Baja Mexico in my JL. Setting up a backpacking tent or sleeping in the back with the seats down if it fits my 6'1" frame.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan to tour Baja Mexico in my JL. Setting up a backpacking tent or sleeping in the back with the seats down if it fits my 6'1" frame.
I slept in my JKUR one time, worst night of sleep if you could call it sleep I have had in a while. I am 5'10". Good luck, I hope it works out for you.