Sponsored

Jeep wont start

Sobehall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I believe a change was made in the 2019 models to be honest, my wife works with a few people who have 2019s and they’ve had the same exact issues, replacing them well before the 3yr mark. I had a 2018 for nearly 4 years and never once had any sort of battery/voltage issues and it was used more than 2019 for everything to long trips/towing etc …
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I bypassed the auxiliary and my main was about dead at 2 years and 10 months. Prior to the Jeep, I bought two Mazdas on the same day. One lasted 36 months and other other died around 2.5 years. Batteries last 4 years at best anymore.

I have a load tester and just check them 2 - 4 times a year and chart it. A 700CCA battery may show 790CCA when new but you can watch it degrade over time. Once you drop to the 70%-80% of CCA they recommend you replace though my son-in-law managed to keep his Volkswagen running until it dropped below 55%. It's been decades since I've been stuck due to a dead battery.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I believe a change was made in the 2019 models to be honest, my wife works with a few people who have 2019s and they’ve had the same exact issues, replacing them well before the 3yr mark. I had a 2018 for nearly 4 years and never once had any sort of battery/voltage issues and it was used more than 2019 for everything to long trips/towing etc …
Okay, well, my 2018 and plenty of others here failed within 3 years. How's that for an anecdote?

Sobehall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just as a side note, the Mopar Aux battery has a 36 month warranty free replacement, keep those receipts.

Sponsored

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
I would have the ESS battery checked, if it’s bad it could be pulling down the main crank battery.
you can remove the negative cable from the main battery and the one under the fender will start the car. However, if you remove the negative cable from the small battery the car will not start. This is not folklore it is fact. makes no sense whatsoever. Both batteries are directly and constantly connected. The sole duty of the small battery is to operate the stop/start function. Think about that shit, a trip to the convenience store could up to 20 restarts when only 1 start each way is all that is really needed.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
you can remove the negative cable from the main battery and the one under the fender will start the car. However, if you remove the negative cable from the small battery the car will not start. This is not folklore it is fact. makes no sense whatsoever. Both batteries are directly and constantly connected. The sole duty of the small battery is to operate the stop/start function. Think about that shit, a trip to the convenience store could up to 20 restarts when only 1 start each way is all that is really needed.
I've been driving my '18 with the negative cable removed from the AUX for almost a year and it starts whenever I need it to. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored