Jeep Wave Program worth it?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Regarding oil changes… got a new wrangler with only 4200 miles… when should I do the first one? Oil life meter on dash still says I have 48% oil life left, but I heard you might want to do it sooner than the 6000-7000 miles…? Thoughts?
I’m a strong believer the first oil change should be earlier than normal as a new engine may have more metallic shedding than a fully broken in engine. I did my first one at 2,000 miles and then 5-6,000 miles thereafter. Oil changes are cheap…good peace of mind.
Sponsored

pauls001

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Regarding oil changes… got a new wrangler with only 4200 miles… when should I do the first one? Oil life meter on dash still says I have 48% oil life left, but I heard you might want to do it sooner than the 6000-7000 miles…? Thoughts?
I used to manage a Super Lube shop and according to Pennzoil recommendations it depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of stop and go driving it should be every 3 months or 3000 miles if you do a lot of highway driving it's every 6 months or 7500 miles and the reason for 3 month 3000 miles is the engine block is like a coke bottle and on short trips where engine never really gets warmed up it sweats and moisture gets trapped in the crankcase and the only way to get rid of it is to change the oil otherwise the oil will start to look milky looking. If you look in back of your owners manual I believe it will say there are two service schedules that explain that.

pauls001

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious why Jeep Wave should pay for your rental car resulting from an accident? The program provides benefits regarding regular maintenance and warranty repairs, it has nothing to do with accidents.

Regarding the value of the program concerning oil changes. I don't find it valuable at all. I've used 3 free oil changes for my wife's '20 Grand Cherokee, and we have 2 remaining. The first 2 I used at the selling dealership which is a 20 min drive from our home. I know personnel at that dealership and I've used it for warranty items on our JKU. My wife made an appointment for the first one through the "schedule your service" when logged into to Jeep Wave. When she arrived at the dealership they told her "oh you don't need to make an appointment next time, just show up. The 1st oil change took over 2 hours, plus the 20 min drive there and back.

For the 2nd, she just showed up as they told her before, this time they said she should've made an appointment. She waited there over 3 hours, kept checking with the service advisor, who then said, "oh your cars been done for awhile, I don't know why they didn't tell you". They also told her they didn't rotate the tires because the tread was too low, but she could buy a new set of tires for $1,500. They did deduct 1 tire rotation from the number available though.

For the 3rd one, I used a new dealership that opened up 5 min from my home. Same thing, hour and 45 min for an oil change and tire rotation when it appeared there were virtually no vehicles in the service department.

It's simply not worth my time to save <$40 per oil change. A 5 qt jug of synthetic oil is $27, the oil filter is $10 & it takes less time to change than it does to go to the dealership, plus I don't have to worry if it was done correctly.
Just curious why Jeep Wave should pay for your rental car resulting from an accident? The program provides benefits regarding regular maintenance and warranty repairs, it has nothing to do with accidents.

Regarding the value of the program concerning oil changes. I don't find it valuable at all. I've used 3 free oil changes for my wife's '20 Grand Cherokee, and we have 2 remaining. The first 2 I used at the selling dealership which is a 20 min drive from our home. I know personnel at that dealership and I've used it for warranty items on our JKU. My wife made an appointment for the first one through the "schedule your service" when logged into to Jeep Wave. When she arrived at the dealership they told her "oh you don't need to make an appointment next time, just show up. The 1st oil change took over 2 hours, plus the 20 min drive there and back.

For the 2nd, she just showed up as they told her before, this time they said she should've made an appointment. She waited there over 3 hours, kept checking with the service advisor, who then said, "oh your cars been done for awhile, I don't know why they didn't tell you". They also told her they didn't rotate the tires because the tread was too low, but she could buy a new set of tires for $1,500. They did deduct 1 tire rotation from the number available though.

For the 3rd one, I used a new dealership that opened up 5 min from my home. Same thing, hour and 45 min for an oil change and tire rotation when it appeared there were virtually no vehicles in the service department.

It's simply not worth my time to save <$40 per oil change. A 5 qt jug of synthetic oil is $27, the oil filter is $10 & it takes less time to change than it does to go to the dealership, plus I don't have to worry if it was done correctly.
When I called Jeep Wave to check to see if they would cover the rental because it was stuck at the dealer waiting on parts I was told being that the truck was disabled and we couldn't drive it that they would cover the rental for $45 dollars a day and who am I to look at a gift horse in the face if they want give me $900 besides we paid over $50,000 for the truck.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
When I called Jeep Wave to check to see if they would cover the rental because it was stuck at the dealer waiting on parts I was told being that the truck was disabled and we couldn't drive it that they would cover the rental for $45 dollars a day and who am I to look at a gift horse in the face if they want give me $900 besides we paid over $50,000 for the truck.
That was a nice gesture on their part, I was just pointing out it is not part of the program. In reality you should’ve probably chosen a rental car that was within the allowed amount by your insurance policy.

pauls001

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was a nice gesture on their part, I was just pointing out it is not part of the program. In reality you should’ve probably chosen a rental car that was within the allowed amount by your insurance policy.
We had already used up the $1,500 that the insurance pays. The accident happened last November 17th and the body shop work got fixed right away the rest of the time until now the truck has set at the dealer waiting on parts.

Sponsored

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Why you should change your oil sooner than "recommended":

1. The additives, detergents, and viscosity enhancers break down, not the base oil.

2. The oil acts as a conduit to be able to get the suspended contaminants/particles/dirt out of the engine.

3. The oil actually helps to cool the engine, as well as, lubricate.

With a bunch of dirt/contaminates suspended in the oil (why it gets black and dirty) the cooling effects tend to start lacking.

With degraded detergents, the oil is not cleaning as it should anymore.

Particles suspended in the dirty oil cause the fluid dynamics to be slightly different - taking longer for the oil to reach needed spaces, or not at all depending on severity of contamination.

Remember, your oil pressure does not come from the oil pump, but from the journal and bearing clearances (kind of small spaces). The crank and cam actually ride/are suspended on a film of oil. Want that film to be black, dirty, and full of dirt, causing wear, stress, and overheating to those critical components?

If your oil is dark it means it is doing the job as intended and should be changed. If your oil is dark, but your quick change oil sticker/dash oil tracker says you have another 4,000 miles until you are recommended to change your oil... you really want to keep rolling those dice?

3,000 miles should be the base line... even with the synthetic.

Last edited:

pauls001

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why you should change your oil sooner than "recommended":

1. The additives, detergents, and viscosity enhancers break down, not the base oil.

2. The oil acts as a conduit to be able to get the suspended contaminants/particles/dirt out of the engine.

3. The oil actually helps to cool the engine, as well as, lubricate.

With a bunch of dirt/contaminates suspended in the oil (why it gets black and dirty) the cooling effects tend to start lacking.

With degraded detergents, the oil is not cleaning as it should anymore.

Particles suspended in the dirty oil cause the fluid dynamics to be slightly different - taking longer for the oil to reach needed spaces, or not at all depending on severity of contamination.

Remember, your oil pressure does not come from the oil pump, but from the journal and bearing clearances (kind of small spaces). The crank and cam actually ride/are suspended on a film of oil. Want that film to be black, dirty, and full of dirt, causing wear, stress, and overheating to those critical components?

If your oil is dark it means it is doing the job as intended and should be changed. If your oil is dark, but your quick change oil sticker/dash oil tracker says you have another 4,000 miles until you are recommended to change your oil... keep rolling those dice.

3,000 miles should be the base line... even with the synthetic.
I second the motion and what he said is true and when I worked for Super Lube as a manager and went to the Pennzoil school we were taught the very same thing.
Sponsored