Sponsored

Jeep TRUE off-road ruggedized version (base)

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
When is Jeep finally going to go backwards in time and make the Jeep far more utilitarian?
Things such as:
  • Rubberized flooring.
  • Abrasion resistant, non-leather seats.
  • A real rack mounting system for the hard top.
  • 35" tires
  • Durable stock Rubicon rims.
  • Real mount points inside around the dash.
Honda element, new Defender - and other vehicles that don't even pretend to be as capable as a Rubicon trim have these.
Bronco is hitting many of these elements.

How long (with this new accessories factory) will it take before Jeep offers TRUE off-roadering grit with the same reflected on the inside. Will this PSA deal make this happen with new capitol?

Now that I have lived with a Rubicon for 2 years, I am getting concerned with the amount of wear it's getting and annoying amount of vacuuming of the carper I have to do. I need more utility.

Anyone else second these notions? Is it time for another trim level?
Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
When is Jeep finally going to go backwards in time and make the Jeep far more utilitarian?
Things such as:
  • Rubberized flooring.
  • 35" tires
Honda element, new Defender - and other vehicles that don't even pretend to be as capable as a Rubicon trim have these.

How long (with this new accessories factory) will it take before Jeep offers TRUE off-roadering grit with the same reflected on the inside. Will this PSA deal make this happen with new capitol?

Now that I have lived with a Rubicon for 2 years, I am getting concerned with the amount of wear it's getting and annoying amount of vacuuming of the carper I have to do. I need more utility.

I mean while I wouldn't be opposed to this type of trim, I don't think I'd expect it from Jeep. Rubberized flooring would be okay, but you can already rip the carpet out and use the plugs to hose it out. I've had cordura seat covers before, wouldn't expect most people would like them honestly. For 35s, I think that is going to happen but I'm curious what you'd want different with the stock rims (besides moving to a 8.5 or 9 wide!).

I think overall that if you had more factory options, you'd still be very short of the options that aftermarket can provide so a lot of people would still customize their own jeeps. Same true with 35s, just look at the wheels and tires forum and there are dozens of each that people like, how would they settle on which to run? I think aftermarket already provides so well so the only real advantage to the trim level would be the ability to roll cost into the purchase.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is exactly what the huge new " customization " assembly building will do. Not only lifts, but interior Bedliner, racks, lights, roof top tents, you name it. All money in their pocket, not " aftermarket ". Having these expenses rolled into the monthly payment can be a plus too

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Now that the bronco is doing some of these things, they will obviously need to do them too! And JEEP is the best in the market when it comes to rugged so i dont see why they cant.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I mean while I wouldn't be opposed to this type of trim, I don't think I'd expect it from Jeep. Rubberized flooring would be okay, but you can already rip the carpet out and use the plugs to hose it out. I've had cordura seat covers before, wouldn't expect most people would like them honestly. For 35s, I think that is going to happen but I'm curious what you'd want different with the stock rims (besides moving to a 8.5 or 9 wide!).

I think overall that if you had more factory options, you'd still be very short of the options that aftermarket can provide so a lot of people would still customize their own jeeps. Same true with 35s, just look at the wheels and tires forum and there are dozens of each that people like, how would they settle on which to run? I think aftermarket already provides so well so the only real advantage to the trim level would be the ability to roll cost into the purchase.
The aftermarket has a pretty solid handle on the exterior, but's the interior I am concerned with.
Basically as rough and retro as what a Toyota 76 delivers in Australia and the 3rd world markets.

I mean, sure the leather trimmed stuff is cool, but when I conjure up an image of the Rubicon - I think of people's heavily modified CJs that have little trim, exposed door steel, robust dash.
I'd pay more for essentially less.

Durable touch screen also comes to mind. The kind you can touch with muddy hands and not panic when you can't see the area that's worn out.

The 35"s are more driven by the Bronco now.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket has a pretty solid handle on the exterior, but's the interior I am concerned with.
Basically as rough and retro as what a Toyota 76 delivers in Australia and the 3rd world markets.

I mean, sure the leather trimmed stuff is cool, but when I conjure up an image of the Rubicon - I think of people's heavily modified CJs that have little trim, exposed door steel, robust dash.

Durable touch screen also comes to mind. The kind you can touch with muddy hands and not panic when you can't see the area that's worn out.

Yeah I think I see more what you're saying now. I do agree, way more exterior options on the whole, some more durable options versus luxury would make sense.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Back “in the day” my IH scouts had rubber floor with drain plugs, vinyl bench seats and steel dash. You could literally pull the floor plugs and take a car wash wand to it. Don’t think many folks today’s would buy something that Spartan, but it was nice when you got muddy coming in from a duck hunt😏

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Back “in the day” my IH scouts had rubber floor with drain plugs, vinyl bench seats and steel dash. You could literally pull the floor plugs and take a car wash wand to it. Don’t think many folks today’s would buy something that Spartan, but it was nice when you got muddy coming in from a duck hunt😏
There's a massive market for these "retro" and resto-mods out there for the Internationals, all these old Defenders, TJs. All these vehicles are 150k plus though. I think that Jeep can create something that chases this group of people and make the safe profit.

CaptainCanuck

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Firecracker Red
Things such as:
  • Rubberized flooring.
  • 35" tires

+1 for rubberized flooring. Carpet is a real pain to keep clean.

Sponsored

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
The first Rubicon I saw on a lot back in '03 was a base Rubicon. It had vinyl seats, no cruise, no AC, no tilt wheel, a a manual transmission, and no power windows.....with a soft top only. My wife did not want one w/o AC so we passed and bought one with AC.

If they offered one today, they wouldn't sell many. Just like back in '03......the basic Rubicon did not sell well, most were loaded up. Loaded for the time anyway - not loaded by today's standard.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.

i got clear 3M on my touch screen.

When it comes to wear and tear, i figure almost everything on these new vehicles is plastic and clip in, I'll just buy replacement parts if they get too worn out.

In all honesty, I find the value for the respective increase in cost for the new generation JL to be extremely good considering given improvements over the last gen. I would love to forego the standard interior for a rubberized interior. My Rubi has the rubber floor mats, does yours?

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I agree.

FLOORING
On my 2008 JK I tore out the carpeting from the entire Jeep long time ago. It’s down to bare metal with rubber Mats in front seats, back row, and trunk. And it’s my daily driver. So much better all around.

SEATS
I love the waterproof seats (non-leather, treated cloth). So many times I left the half door uppers off by mistake while it rained, and the water just drips off the seats staying dry, unless it poured and then just one day in the sun and they are back to normal. So durable. I never Seen seats so rain resistant even after more than 10 years.

ROOF RACK
I totally agree about the roof rack, and it should support the one touch power top and soft top. One of the first additions to my JK after lift and 37 tires was a Safari basket type full roof length rack. It is so useful around town and on trips. My kids play up there (while stationary of course). I carried kayaks and SUPs. Anytime I purchased something in a very big/long box at a store I throw it on top (I’m tall so reach, even with 37” tires is not a problem, worst case I step on the tires and it’s perfect).

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep TRUE off-road ruggedized version (base) F3211267-D964-476B-A4F5-D9B5DEA7C2C7

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep TRUE off-road ruggedized version (base) 687950CE-CD0A-452F-B01C-AFC4EE75F976

Jeeps are not like this anymore.

Things such as:
  • Rubberized flooring.
  • 35" tires

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see basically a Sport with 1/2 doors, 2" lift, 35s, bedlined/rubberized interior, rear locker, and manual front swaybar disconnects, and a manual transmission/V6, and aux switches for $35k. vinyl seats, AC could be optional, and steel wheels.

I'd consider trading my JKUR in on one. Just an all-business Jeep with no unessessary stuff on it.
Sponsored