First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
I spent all day installing the Mopar RV tow harness (p/n 82216358AB) and the left blinker and brake lights do not work. Went back to check all my connections, and they are all good. Thought maybe my vehicle I used to test may have been bad, so I tried another vehicle, and same results. I am not going to be able to look at it tomorrow, so I will try later in the week, but all that I could think is bad is the diode module that comes with the harness. That would suck, I bought it on ebay, and can't return it. It was still new in the packaging, so if it is bad, it came from the factory that way. Can anyone think of any other thing that could be bad?
Sponsored

OP
OP
brennaman

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
Thought I would add, I have a '21 JLR, with LED tail lights. There may be a chance I need to have a dealership enable it with their J-scan. I will call a dealer later this week. Is this even a chance what the problem could be? Phil

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
It’s not a program issue, the tow harness completely bypasses the control by the Jeep’s body control.

I would connect 12v to the towing vehicle connector plug with a test lead and start checking voltage going backwards through the wiring towards the rear of the Jeep. It could literally be any joint or connection along the way. I’ve had faulty loose pins in towing cables or sockets before, that would plug in but not electrically connect.

If it is the diodes, you’ll know when you reach that point and the voltage is lost.

I would also triple check that the wire you connected into on the vehicle for that lamp actually goes to the lamp, and I didn’t misread a color code, or Jeep screwed up the instructions.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
You also did not mention that the 7 pin at the RV was checked out and was good Along with the umbilical cord.

OP
OP
brennaman

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
You also did not mention that the 7 pin at the RV was checked out and was good Along with the umbilical cord.
I thought of that, possibly the tow vehicle, that is why I tried another vehicle. I checked the umbilical cord, and it is good. I am 99% sure it is in my Jeep. (unless both vehicles I hooked the Jeep up to are both not working on the left side.
I will be hard to trace the 12V all the way back to the left side, once it gets too the right blinker, it is no longer just the 6 wires from the umbilical that plugs into the RV. It goes to a plug with quite a few pins on the plug. So unless I can find a wiring diagram of the wiring harness, it will be a VERY time consuming project.
I will try to go to Jeep this week to see if they have a wiring diagram of the complete harness.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brennaman

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
Well problem solved. I thought it would be harder to follow the wires to the rear left connection, but I did not have to go to the lamp itself, I just had to go to the last connector of the new harness. On that last connector, there was a pin that was not fully seated. I was able to pull it to where it clicked in place, and low and behold, it all works. I am glad i went back and checked it to the end, that would have been expensive if the dealership had to do that. thanks all, we are ready for vacation now.

Ecannady

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392 Xtreme Recon
I am currently trying to troubleshoot mine as well. I have absolutely no lights coming from the tow vehicle. Lights in the jeep operate fine on their own and I have verified everything has 12v up to the in-line fuse box. Just sucks I spent the extra money on a mopar part to avoid issues and keep everything in the electrical system factory and here I am without working lights. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears. Thanks in advance. Also when I have a chance I will check the pins as the OP stated he found a loose one but he at least had one light working.

OP
OP
brennaman

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
I would make sure the fuse block that you installed is wired correct. Either that or a ground that was not installed. When everything is missing, it is usually a single point of reference.
Sponsored