Iron Cross Spare Relocation Bracket

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
I just installed the Iron Cross Spare relocation bracket and this thing is solid. Took about 30 minutes and the quality was impressive. I pushed it in every direction and there is NO flex in the tailgate or hinges. I'm 180 lbs and hung off the tire (37x12.5x17 Terra Raider M/T's on stock Rubi rims) with no flex in the tailgate. I hit every bump I could find yesterday and no noise and no movement. It hold the spare nice and close to the tailgate which unlike some other like the RC or Smitty. I do need to expand the bump stops in the next day or so because there is about a 1" gap between the stock bump stops and the tire, but it's still very very solid. I removed the factory 3rd brake light (for more visibility) and used the circular LED 3rd brake light that mounts behind the spare. I will post pics once I have the bump stops extended, but here is the stock photo of the carrier. For $89 shipped from Quadratec, I'm very impressed.

GPJL70 (2).jpg
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Any updated pics?

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reminder! So far this thing is amazing. I've heard bad things about the RC and Smittybuilt, but the Iron Cross is very well built. I still haven't lengthened the bump stops and there is zero movement and zero rattle. Here are some pics, and a short video of me pulling and shaking the tire with no movement.

Rear tire carrier 1 (2).jpg

Rear tire carrier 2 (2).jpg

Rear view tire carrier (2).jpg

Rear view tire carrier 2 (2).jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also removed the factory 3rd brake light and replaced it with one of those round brake lights that shines through the wheel for increase visibility out of the back window.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Does this mount do anything to strengthen the hinges? They are a weak spot for sure when weight is added to the tailgate. Opening the tailgate may start to cause it to sag and damage the hinges.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it is a relocation only so it doesn't strengthen the tailgate or hinges. My tire and stock rubi wheel combo is only 22 lbs heavier than the stock setup. I seriously doubt that will make a big difference. Time will tell. If it starts rattling I can reinforce if necessary, but I ran a 35" on my JKU for 8 years with zero issues and they said that was bad too. I'll fix it if its broken, not before.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think I will get this one as well since my rough country one doesn't fit 37s. The rough country one was great for the 35s though.

thanks for the review and posting.

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@zeebo56 I'm very happy and it's still working very well. I went to a stubby rear bumper too and no issues:

Jeep Wrangler JL Iron Cross Spare Relocation Bracket Jeep8 (2)