JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, good article--thanx-

Cash Cow is right--all the individual dealers are gonna become MILLIONAIRES because of WARRANTY COVERAGE-----

I also don't think the GLAD. will affect the WRANGLER SALES--it's just too CUMBERSOME !!

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Agree at least at my local dealers there seems to be quite the glut of aging inventory. One dealer has almost 50 - 18's still around. That's a lot of last years model to be having on hand this late in the year. Most seem like less desirable base configurations and lack of willing to budge on pricing. This particular dealer is a large volume dealer and I was interested in a White Rubicon literally months ago. I've yet to see one cross their lot. Although they have no trouble sitting on a various grey colors. Is it just me or are there too many grey variants? Some look great but really how many do they need?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
good article, i'm glad you posted it, they would have called me a troll if i had posted it
Low post count combined with some negativity can get you there. Not saying you are there, but just because you brought it up.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Quite a number on hand at my dealership also. 2018s and all the colors and models except JLUR. I'm still waiting for an ordered 2019 Sahara because of the options I want.
When I bought my 2013 JK, I had to drive 70 miles to just find a Wrangler to test drive before I ordered.I don't expect the same value at the time I'm ready to sell this new one as I got for the 2013 with 116,000 miles.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
And yet there's still no exact match within 150 miles of me on Jeep.com for what I bought. They're just not interested in stocking manual transmission 2-door soft tops. Partial matches all are automatics...

Reactions: KDB

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Must not count my dealer hahaha they only have 3 JL’s and 2 JK’s on the lot

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wranglers built to ultimately sit on some dealer's showroom lots makes me curious of two things:

1) How many other vehicles in roughly this rig's price and style class get factory ordered as much? Maybe the high price has inspired some of the factory ordering to secure not only lower prices, but for the purchaser to not have to pay for undesired features; putting $ into features wanted. This might make for more rigs in showroom inventory.

2) I wonder if this surplus of product is anything but FCA objective. As we all know, FCA diligently tracks sales and production volumes. Like the classic life cycle paradigm of any recently introduced informercial product, 8 months after introduction you're finding the item at a considerably reduced price on internet sites. Perhaps (and if they're smart this should be the case) FCA has set an extremely high invoice price at launch that it has considerable wiggle room to discount through incentive programs at dealers, who in turn share those discounts in part with customers through lower prices, while mother FCA still reaps handsome, if not "initial product release gangbuster's" profit.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Must not count my dealer hahaha they only have 3 JL’s and 2 JK’s on the lot
My local Ford dealer is the same...having a very small retail footprint compared to dealers in other locales, say, where real estate is cheaper.

But they also have this huge lot about a mile away with loads of inventory most don't know about.

I wonder if this is a common sales tactic to get buyers to think, "get em while their still in stock at the dealer."

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
And yet there's still no exact match within 150 miles of me on Jeep.com for what I bought. They're just not interested in stocking manual transmission 2-door soft tops. Partial matches all are automatics...
agreed, 2 doors, manual tranny, soft top.........each one on its own is a red headed stepchild, put them all in one package and you have one rare breed of jeep

SonicPearl

First Name
Smoke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL in Waiting
Wranglers built to ultimately sit on some dealer's showroom lots makes me curious of two things:

1) How many other vehicles in roughly this rig's price and style class get factory ordered as much? Maybe the high price has inspired some of the factory ordering to secure not only lower prices, but for the purchaser to not have to pay for undesired features; putting $ into features wanted. This might make for more rigs in showroom inventory.

2) I wonder if this surplus of product is anything but FCA objective. As we all know, FCA diligently tracks sales and production volumes. Like the classic life cycle paradigm of any recently introduced informercial product, 8 months after introduction you're finding the item at a considerably reduced price on internet sites. Perhaps (and if they're smart this should be the case) FCA has set an extremely high invoice price at launch that it has considerable wiggle room to discount through incentive programs at dealers, who in turn share those discounts in part with customers through lower prices, while mother FCA still reaps handsome, if not "initial product release gangbuster's" profit.
Point 1 for sure. I have never factory ordered before but this time I could not get what I wanted with he features and more importantly the color (Mojito). The dealer had other color jeeps on the lot that were close to the options I wanted. He did check inventory but Mojito and my options list were not to be found.

Sponsored

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Was going to post this article. Just my opinion, but the reason why FCA is over building is due to all the down time that is coming. We're only working 1 day this week and will be shut down for 11 days in January. Also once the JT starts running, we will not be doing tag relief on the JL side (1-2 people per team to give breaks so they don't have to shut the line down) that 50 minutes of down time per shift. This is just my opinion.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
agreed, 2 doors, manual tranny, soft top.........each one on its own is a red headed stepchild, put them all in one package and you have one rare breed of jeep
This is my first Jeep so there is a lot I don't know about Jeeps. I thought this is what a Jeep was and was surprised that dealers weren't interested in selling them. Probably has more to do with profit margin, but still, not everybody wants top-of-the-line with all the options at the maximum possible price. I wouldn't have changed my order if I won the lottery, its just that I wanted it this way.

SonicPearl

First Name
Smoke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL in Waiting
Was going to post this article. Just my opinion, but the reason why FCA is over building is due to all the down time that is coming. We're only working 1 day this week and will be shut down for 11 days in January. Also once the JT starts running, we will not be doing tag relief on the JL side (1-2 people per team to give breaks so they don't have to shut the line down) that 50 minutes of down time per shift. This is just my opinion.
Do you know the date of the shutdown (the 11 days)?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Agree at least at my local dealers there seems to be quite the glut of aging inventory. One dealer has almost 50 - 18's still around. That's a lot of last years model to be having on hand this late in the year. Most seem like less desirable base configurations and lack of willing to budge on pricing. This particular dealer is a large volume dealer and I was interested in a White Rubicon literally months ago. I've yet to see one cross their lot. Although they have no trouble sitting on a various grey colors. Is it just me or are there too many grey variants? Some look great but really how many do they need?
I think only 2 grey variants are plenty. For the record, silver is its own color. So you only have granite and sting grey. And when I was looking for a Jeep, I told the dealer no red, black, white or orange. I would have loved that orange if it looked like it did on the build site. The way it is now, people would think I'm some sort of Bengal fan. So I ordered sting grey :)