Sponsored

Input Needed - JK failed inspection for this

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon - 2.0 Sting Gray, '07 JK Sahara - Black
Hey guys - took my older Wrangler in for inspection and although it has passed 2x with the same setup, the tech rejected it this time.

I put an American Thunder and resonator cat-back in (model made for specific JK figment) a couple years ago and have had no issues. This year, the inspector calls me and says I need to replace the exhaust “because it’s just dumping out under the cabin”. I ask for more detail and he says the exhaust ends too short. Wants $650 to replace it.

I tell him about the high tuck design and that it’s made for this model. He doesn’t budge and I tell him to reject it if he must, I’m not replacing it.

State law (Virginia) on this states to reject if “The exhaust system fails to discharge the exhaust to the rear or sides of the passenger and trunk compartment of passenger vehicles unless such design is consistent with the original vehicle manufacturer exhaust system.”

“To the rear” is subjective to me.

I took a pic that shows the exhaust exit relative to the body and I think his call is BS. I’ve never had as much as a hint of exhaust in the cabin.

What do you say?

2FD6317E-FE80-42B3-B961-1D3F1FFEE9E2.jpeg
Sponsored

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Get a muffler shop to bend you a tip you can clamp on to pass, then remove it until next time. MVA regulations are up to the inspector, he could have just had a fine for something and is being overly sensitive.

OP
OP
They call me...PaPa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon - 2.0 Sting Gray, '07 JK Sahara - Black
Thanks - I thought that I would just get a small extension and couple of clamps to do the same, but there is a chrome tip larger than the pipe that is welded on. Could maybe just rig something over that, but think I’ll just find another shop.

Good point on the interpretation.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
He's just wanting money. With no knowledge of your state's inspection requirements, I had cherry bomb (used as a resonator), turbo muffler (not too loud) and all the pipe work done at a local muffler shop done in 2019 for under $300.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Its just a VA regulatory shake down. Pick a new shop or have a tip made and be done with that dude.
Sponsored