First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
  • Banned
Getting ready to swap tops

...just curious how long the soft top takes to install out of the box?
Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax

Did it a couple weeks ago and I would say about an hour. I'm not super handy and I'm very methodical (accountant), so I'm likely slower than most. The most difficult part was stretching the windows enough to get them in their correct spots. But overall, it was easier than I thought it was going to be!

mcmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU Granite Metallic
Occupation
SuBourbon Socialite

a little over a week.

Unless of course you are clearly made aware that you need to be out in the sun or very warm garage to put your soft top on for the first time. I was about 1" shy of being able to latch my top to front eyelets when i first put on the soft top and muscled that bi-atch ! for a couple days to no avail. I then posted to this forum, and a couple persons replied with "get it outside in the sun you'll see". Though skeptical and convinced i must have assembled incorrectly, a week later and thankfully having another vehicle to drive while the Jeep sat in the garage (due to cold, rainy weather) I pulled it out onto the driveway this past Sunday and several hours later while baking in the 60 degree sun, i was able to latch my soft top closed!

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
a little over a week.

Unless of course you are clearly made aware that you need to be out in the sun or very warm garage to put your soft top on for the first time. I was about 1" shy of being able to latch my top to front eyelets when i first put on the soft top and muscled that bi-atch ! for a couple days to no avail. I then posted to this forum, and a couple persons replied with "get it outside in the sun you'll see". Though skeptical and convinced i must have assembled incorrectly, a week later and thankfully having another vehicle to drive while the Jeep sat in the garage (due to cold, rainy weather) I pulled it out onto the driveway this past Sunday and several hours later while baking in the 60 degree sun, i was able to latch my soft top closed!
My installation was here in Wisconsin when it was about 60 degrees, which is as warm as we get so I picked that day for a reason. I didn't leave it in the sun prior to installation though, as I just couldn't temper my patience. While it definitely took some pushing and pulling, I was able to get the soft top closed after a few minutes of trying. But I'm thinking I got lucky, because I certainly don't have big muscles.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Once the hardtop was off, it took about an hour. (I unboxed everything inside and pre-assembled to plastic parts the night before) Take your time, read the instructions and watch the video.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Stretching the new top and windows is the bitch of it, everything else is easy. Took me 2 hours of cussing but it was also not all that warm. I read about leaving it in the sun after I installed it. Sure it would have been much easier if I had waited on a warm day and left it outside for a bit.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Yeah, I would agree with about an hour. Took me longer to un-box it and cut up the boxes for recycling than it did to put the top on.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Clearly, you've gotten good answers and already have it under control but for others, the Quadratec video is great. I laid my pieces in the sun for a few hours and had no problem getting them to stretch and attach/close. The design is really well done.

The top is fairly quiet - surprisingly so. Only issue I've had so far is some flapping in heavy winds down the sides. Re-tucking and snugging up the velcro behind the 2nd row doors has helped. I've driven through some very heavy rain and no leaks yet.

OP
OP
KingCon

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Clearly, you've gotten good answers and already have it under control but for others, the Quadratec video is great. I laid my pieces in the sun for a few hours and had no problem getting them to stretch and attach/close. The design is really well done.

The top is fairly quiet - surprisingly so. Only issue I've had so far is some flapping in heavy winds down the sides. Re-tucking and snugging up the velcro behind the 2nd row doors has helped. I've driven through some very heavy rain and no leaks yet.
Was VERY EASY

to stretch the top shut, I put the front seats all the way foward while sitting in them and used my legs and the back rest of seat as leverage to pull and latch the top....VERY EASY

*58 degrees out*

Again, very easy install

Impressive top

Sponsored

OP
OP
KingCon

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Yeah, I would agree with about an hour. Took me longer to un-box it and cut up the boxes for recycling than it did to put the top on.
Can actually feel they weight difference

Had roof rack on hardtop and it literally feels much lighter(less top heavy)

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Does everyone else use a second person to get the top on, or am I doing something wrong. With two of us, the second time it only took about 25 minutes to make the switch. I mention it also for the op, some help getting the top lined up when first dropping it in (as suggested in the quadratec video if I remember correctly) was a huge help.

OP
OP
KingCon

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Does everyone else use a second person to get the top on, or am I doing something wrong. With two of us, the second time it only took about 25 minutes to make the switch. I mention it also for the op, some help getting the top lined up when first dropping it in (as suggested in the quadratec video if I remember correctly) was a huge help.
No need for a second, although yes, would have been much quicker(obviously)..

just hopped up in the cargo area and threw the frame into the brackets.

Took me about 40mins to do the whole top(not including unboxing, clean up and removing hard top)

Thanks for the heads up though

OP
OP
KingCon

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
that is a nice looking rig. With that setup, you know need to hit some of the Arizona trails. The only way to ride right now here, is topless!
I WISH I could make it down to Arizona! Would be heaven for me

Cant anytime soon though, have the biz to run.
Sponsored