2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
All my photos are from behind the wheel. There's enough to clean outside without bringing it in.

20191227_104807.jpg
Good photo.
That's real mud!
Mine was slime. January thaw. Dirt road.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Don’t get out in mud, problem solved. Other wise make friends with your service guy and ask for some the of the paper service mats.

also you can always hose out the Jeep.
It was the passenger's seat I got covered in mud.
Gotta bend better getting back in. Or stay in as suggested here.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Good photo.
That's real mud!
Mine was slime. January thaw. Dirt road.
Actually, it's the worst mud I've been in in a while. It's slick, it's sticky, and it has no sand underneath. Water standing on it would help.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Sounds like a pretty successful excursion if you ask me.
HOWEVER:

1. Try to explore in pairs....if you get stuck....and you will eventually....having another Jeep and friend makes it a great learning experience for all. Having to walk or wait on recovery...not so good of a learning experience.

2. If you do go out alone...prepare yourself...best as you can for self recovery and some basic trail emergency gear......winch is worth every penny if you get stuck.

3. Perspective....if you think you got a little muddy.......well.....wait until you really get stuck in the mud....
You will have a whole new perspective on that issue.

But sound like your having fun.....and that’s what Jeep life is all about.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sounds like a pretty successful excursion if you ask me.
HOWEVER:

1. Try to explore in pairs....if you get stuck....and you will eventually....having another Jeep and friend makes it a great learning experience for all. Having to walk or wait on recovery...not so good of a learning experience.

2. If you do go out alone...prepare yourself...best as you can for self recovery and some basic trail emergency gear......winch is worth every penny if you get stuck.

3. Perspective....if you think you got a little muddy.......well.....wait until you really get stuck in the mud....
You will have a whole new perspective on that issue.

But sound like your having fun.....and that’s what Jeep life is all about.
Thanks.

Really good advice.

We've found real freedom with the Jeep. Loving it.

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Years ago I bought an S15 Jimmy 4X4. Similar 4 wheel drive system. Yes I got stuck; snow. Need to pack a shovel and kitty litter in winter. Kitty litter...I used to put it in paper lunch bags so it was handy. I'd forgotten that...with wheels stopped, put the kitty litter on top of the tire. Get back in. Drive right out.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Creek crossings are your friend. A lot like having sex. Back and forth, back and forth. Lmao

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Yeah I solved this issue with the front flaps I bought. See my garage.
I haven't had a chance to explore it much, but I have gone in to take a look around and I didn't fully understand it. Is it just member galleries? Sort of like Pinterest (but for us and our Jeeps)?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

I gotta figure a way to keep the mud outside. On the Jeep. Not inside.

Any hints for a rookie?
I'm no expert, but I recently put on side steps, which does seem to improve the mud spray (I'm no longer getting a handful of dirt when I grab the door handles). They make some step/rock rail combo types, but mine are just knock-off Mopar plastic.

I was thinking about picking up some of those seat covers that are just a quazi-waterproof towel to throw on when I'm doing something cruddy.. Easier to pull off and clean. I think they market them as "post workout seat towels"... Does it count if the Jeep is getting the workout?

Sponsored

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks.daveprice7
I'm plain clumsy getting in and out. AND I had a puffy warm coat on. I caught the roof rail on the passenger side getting in, as I lowered myself into the seat.
And I caught the B pillar with my back.
I need to lose 20 years, or get more flexible.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm plain clumsy getting in and out.
I'm a rookie too, but I'm also a geocacher and I have experience with in and out in poor conditions. My advice is to simply let the dirt happen if you can't avoid it. These pictures were taken last September (in my Pathfinder), and yes... those are rain pants. I'm also a bit of a clean freak so I REALLY had to let it go on that day... LOL We were SOAKED, but with all the in/out that we were doing this was completely unavoidable. The only protection I could have (and should have) offered my seats (are yours leather or cloth?) was to sit on a towel. That said, Jeeps are designed for muck. Even the dash can handle a surprise rain storm if you get caught with your top off. If you're going somewhere where mud will happen, just wear easily washable clothing, and do your best to not get dirty. And when you do, just laugh it off and go find some more smiles. It is a Jeep after all. Mud happens. Be one with the mud, man! :clap:

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Good hint. Northern BC. incredible. I felt roots for the first time during a trip to BC a while ago. Left when I was a toddler.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Good hint. Northern BC. incredible. I felt roots for the first time during a trip to BC a while ago. Left when I was a toddler.
BC is really beautiful. I hear that from a lot of people, how they came to visit and just never left. We don't get rain like that often here though. Hardly ever, in fact. Just a lot of snow in the winter, but also a lot of sunshine. We call spring "The big melt" (or the melting season), so also a lot of big mud. This was yesterday. Cross country skiing at +6C (and only a 20 minute drive away) is some kind of wonderful.

When you live in a place as beautiful as I do (and most of you all), embracing the dirt will come with your love of outdoors. (My Jeep's name is Dirtbag, btw. lol A bit ironic since I work so hard to get her clean, but I looooooove when she gets dirty!)

IMG_3634.jpg

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wonderful! glad to meet you here. Saw a little of BC staying at Sonora Resort. Didn't like bear watching though....
Sponsored