Sponsored

Help with OEM LED tail light issue

Laguna22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Hey all - my 2018 JL was reversed into in a parking lot and hit in a way that broke the lens on the driver OEM LED tail light. Lights continued to work for weeks, but now, after much snow and moisture, left side is completely dark.

Looking at OEM replacements for the tail light assembly on eBay (new and used), Moparparts.com, RockAuto, and twelve hundred other sites, and have a couple of questions for the experts (that's you):

1. I see PN 68434890AA and PN 68434890AB. Any of the listings for AB say 2019-2021, but AA seems discontinued. Will I have any issues swapping what is surely an AA in my 2018 to an AB?
2. Is it reasonable to assume that swapping out the entire tail light assembly is going to fix my problem? Obviously there's always potential of electrical issues, I assume, but this *should* do it, right?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hey all - my 2018 JL was reversed into in a parking lot and hit in a way that broke the lens on the driver OEM LED tail light. Lights continued to work for weeks, but now, after much snow and moisture, left side is completely dark.

Looking at OEM replacements for the tail light assembly on eBay (new and used), Moparparts.com, RockAuto, and twelve hundred other sites, and have a couple of questions for the experts (that's you):

1. I see PN 68434890AA and PN 68434890AB. Any of the listings for AB say 2019-2021, but AA seems discontinued. Will I have any issues swapping what is surely an AA in my 2018 to an AB?
2. Is it reasonable to assume that swapping out the entire tail light assembly is going to fix my problem? Obviously there's always potential of electrical issues, I assume, but this *should* do it, right?

Thanks!
@Laguna22

68434890AB supersedes 68434890AA..... so, 68434890AB is what you will see more often then not being sold these days, unless you buy old stock or used... The tail lamps are the same same. This tail lamp is for the driver's side and is LED.

This is a plug and play thing for you. You will easily remove the one you have and plug this one in.. That is it, just do the swap.. You should see the light work, etc....

DON'T throw away the old tail light.. The cone section from that light is hard to come by and actually worth $ or you may need it someday as they can and do break on occasion.

Here is a decent video that in it, shows how to remove/install a JL , non-LED tail light, but the removal and install of the fixture itself is the same. Easy to do, just do not over tighten the white nylon screw that you secure the tail light with.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Laguna22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Rhinebeck01 and others - got an OEM replacement LED tail light assembly and although all the lights now work, I have fast flash and my dash still says the light is out. What did I do wrong? Any idea?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hey @Rhinebeck01 and others - got an OEM replacement LED tail light assembly and although all the lights now work, I have fast flash and my dash still says the light is out. What did I do wrong? Any idea?
@Laguna22

Since lights all work, I'm not sure why you have "fast flash and my dash still says the light is out. "
All you had was a damaged tail light that you unplugged and then replaced with a new LED tail light....

You might try disconnecting all 12v power for a few minutes say 15 minutes then reconnect power... Here is how to disconnect all 12v power...

Jeep Wrangler JL Help with OEM LED tail light issue Disconnect 12V Power.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP

Laguna22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The old tail light was absolutely FULL of water. What I am fearful of is I wrecked some wiring or the plug or something. But hopefully the "reboot" will fix things.

OP
OP

Laguna22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, disconnect power didn't help, but time did. In the middle of a drive yesterday, signaling returned to normal speed, and now the error message about the bad bulb is also gone. I think something must have needed to dry out some more. But I'm all set! Thank you for your help.
Sponsored