Headliner before RhinoRack w/ backbone

-lenny-

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Howdy, I am wanting to install the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with Backbone system. Purpose would be to mount hardcases on for travel. Obviously it would be easier to install a headliner before this system as opposed to after. JLURD, factory hardtop, considering the headliner to reduce road noise. Planning on 2” lift and 35s as well.
Is headliner worth it?
Thank you.
Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I guess it kind of depends on how you define "worth it?" And by headliner I'm guessing you mean the sound deadening panels glued to the inside of the roof. as far as installation goes it doesn't matter the order that you install them, one has nothing to do with the other.

I don't know how well they work, I've never been in the rain or driven without them. But I like them if that's worth anything...

Jeep Wrangler JL Headliner before RhinoRack w/ backbone JEEP-19 Lar

OP
OP

-lenny-

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Thanks for the reply. I also should have been a little clearer on a couple things.

When I say headliner first, it’s because I assume the mounting system for the backbone would go overtop of some coverage from say, HotHeads liner. And can you still do the window surround, or does the backbone make that a no go?

secondly, when I say worth it, I am speaking solely from a noise reduction view.

Thanks again, and sharp rig btw.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have the factory headliner option so can't speak to before and after. However, you do need to trim two sections of the headliner for the two backbone mounts at the rear. Just about 0.5" x 4" for each side.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
I just installed the Cover King full headliner. I also put down Kilmat 80 mil sound deadener in the spots where the typical headliners would go (where the top is thinner and around the windows). I'm really happy with it. There is definitely a difference in road noise. It's hard to quantify how much of a difference, but at highway speed I don't really have to raise my voice to talk to the passenger anymore. I think it was worth it. It also looks great IMO.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Howdy, I am wanting to install the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with Backbone system. Purpose would be to mount hardcases on for travel. Obviously it would be easier to install a headliner before this system as opposed to after. JLURD, factory hardtop, considering the headliner to reduce road noise. Planning on 2” lift and 35s as well.
Is headliner worth it?
Thank you.
Headliner is worth it to me (Hothead Headliners is a forum sponsor and they are worth it) along with the Sound Assassin strips (the sound deadener). Know that a Jeep is always going to let in noise (especially if you do MTs). That being said, I noticed a difference when it rains in particular because it no longer sounds like I’m in a cave that has rain drops echoing off the top.

I installed the headliner before the RR backbone and Pioneer Platform; no problems installing the backbone after the headliner. I would not get the side panels for the rear, since the backbone braces go there.

If you want photos from the inside, let me know.

ssrgeoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2022 JLURD
I installed the headliner before the RR backbone and Pioneer Platform; no problems installing the backbone after the headliner. I would not get the side panels for the rear, since the backbone braces go there.
You can run both... all you need to do is trim. Hotheads headliner was the first thing I purchased knowing how well it did in the Gladiator.

Jeep Wrangler JL Headliner before RhinoRack w/ backbone IMG_0713

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
You can run both... all you need to do is trim. Hotheads headliner was the first thing I purchased knowing how well it did in the Gladiator.

IMG_0713.jpg
I guess you could trim it. Didn’t consider it at the time since the headliner purchase was much earlier than the RR backbone and I didn’t want to pull it down just to deal with the hassle of reattaching. Up to you @-lenny-

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
We do not have a liner in our JLU hardtop and while a bit noisier it’s really no big deal. You don’t have to yell or blast the radio at highway speeds. Can’t speak for heat retention yet as this is our first winter but so far in 20-30*F temps we can still run the heat comfortably around 68-69*F

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
As for the Backbone install, watch this video a few times to help with the install.

Sponsored