Has anyone tried Exposed Racks?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Last question.. I keep finding conflicting information. I saw the hard top has a weight limit around 150lbs? I keep reading everywhere how bad clipons are for racks, so how safe is this for a RTT + 2 people sleeping in it?
I will say I have no issues with this setup. Exposed Racks click in with 23Zero tent (147 lb) and my wife and I plus gear in the tent. The weight distribution feet spread out the weight so as to cause no issues. Everyone saying it isn't safe has zero experience most likely and done no research on this.
Sponsored

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Last question.. I keep finding conflicting information. I saw the hard top has a weight limit around 150lbs? I keep reading everywhere how bad clipons are for racks, so how safe is this for a RTT + 2 people sleeping in it?
I don’t have these yet but in the past have looked at many big name brand bars for different vehicles. Most say max weight of 150lbs and I believe there is DOT information about 150lbs max on a roof but this weight is when the vehicle is driving down the road due to the force of wind and stuff. I am not expert but keep in mind you have two different weight categories. One when driving and one when your parked in a camp somewhere. Hope this helps a little.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Has anyone tried these with the soft top up with kayaks on top. I want these racks but there are times I may want my top up when hauling so trying to decide if a trailer would be better. I have read posts where people use the foam kayak pads on top of their soft top directly over their top bar. My thought is I could combined the exposed racks with foam pads when I want to run with the top up? Any thoughts on this or concerns?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
These do not work with the soft top up. The only thing you could use to carry stuff on top when a soft top is closed, would be one of the cage type systems.

The exposed racks only work on a soft top when the top is down.

Sponsored

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
bumping up this old thread.

I am trying install exposed racks on my 2 door JL, but I can't figure out if I was sent the wrong part, or if I'm just an idiot.

The back bar doesn't fit the measurements of the pre-drilled holes, and I'm going slightly insane.

Attached are a few photos. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? PXL_20220707_220318367

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? PXL_20220707_220331042

RugbyRef

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 392
bumping up this old thread.

I am trying install exposed racks on my 2 door JL, but I can't figure out if I was sent the wrong part, or if I'm just an idiot.

The back bar doesn't fit the measurements of the pre-drilled holes, and I'm going slightly insane.

Attached are a few photos. Did anyone else run into this problem?
I just got off the phone with one of the techs at EXR. I was asking about the "pending" racks they are making for the Jeeps with Sky One Touch tops. My point being...give them a call. They will answer right away and were very easy to work with.

Tim

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Question for the soft top Exposed Rack users... do you have an aggravating squeak/noise when the top is up over the racks?

I installed the soft top rack on wife's Jeep a couple years ago, squeak was present occasionally. Installed on my previous Jeep, no noise at all. Installed on my current Jeep, squeak is so bad that I uninstalled the rack. I'm pretty sure there is contact with the 3rd aft screw or nut and soft top bracket, and it happens on bumpy roads or at faster speeds... probably a tight tolerance that isn't consistent between Jeeps/tops. On my wife's Jeep, I added a hex screw cap, and it solved the problem for the most part. Haven't tried it on mine yet, but I will next time I install the rack.

Anyone else experience the same issue?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe

Sponsored

DBjeepNY

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
VooDooChild & ryno1 I found Exposed Racks two years ago. These racks are great!!! I first installed the racks on my soft top JKU. Installation was super easy and only took 5 minutes. The rack uses the screws for the freedom top and uses factory treaded holes with provided finger bolts for the rear. This rack is strong and the powder coating is top notch. Best of all the rack fits perfectly under the soft top. It’s a brilliant design. I just recently purchased another Exposed Racks for my JK Hardtop. This rack was just as easy to install. The rack and hardware are high quality. Both racks have been great for hauling 2 Stand up Paddleboards and surfboards. I am really impressed with the quality and the company. I met the owner at Jeep Beach. The entire product is made in the USA in PA/NJ. Purchase with confidence!!!
Can I ask about wind noise with top down and nothing on the racks (no surfboards etc). Curious how much extra noise it will generate. Thank you

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Can I ask about wind noise with top down and nothing on the racks (no surfboards etc). Curious how much extra noise it will generate. Thank you
I haven't noticed anything different with the rack on and the top down. It's already very loud, I don't think the bars add anything extra.

The thing that aggravates me is the rattling when the top is up. There is contact between the fasteners or brackets and the top that drives me crazy enough to remove the rack when I'm not using it. Weird thing is it happened to only one of my previous 2 Jeeps, and it happens on my current Jeep. So it's not consistent.

DBjeepNY

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I haven't noticed anything different with the rack on and the top down. It's already very loud, I don't think the bars add anything extra.

The thing that aggravates me is the rattling when the top is up. There is contact between the fasteners or brackets and the top that drives me crazy enough to remove the rack when I'm not using it. Weird thing is it happened to only one of my previous 2 Jeeps, and it happens on my current Jeep. So it's not consistent.
Rattling would make me nuts too. Thank you for replying

JLyoung

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler rubicon
Bumping this old thread.
Exposed rack RTT on 23 JLU with Badass tent.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_1232

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg
Sponsored