has anyone here driven one?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
After work today, I went to the dealer I ordered my JLUS from, to test drive one of the JLs they have received (they have one Sport S and 2 Sahara). He walked me to one of the Graphite Sahara, handed me the keys then told me to enjoy before going back in the dealership :) The JL had 10 miles on !
And WOW !
It’s the first time I drove a Wrangler, so I can’t compare to any previous experience, but I was definitely impressed with the quality and looks of the JL overall.(Couple years ago, my wife looked at getting a wrangler, and I talked her out of it mostly cause it was « empty », the interior was boring and dated and was years behind the other cars... especially for the price)
It drives nicely, the wind noise was actually pretty surprising low IMO, though driving at highway speed (around 70mph) the steering felt a bit less precise...
The LED lights are SO worth it ! They look amazing, and are so bright, definitely worth the upgrade !
As for the infotainment package does ! I was kinda worried that the 8.4 UConnect would seem huge and kind of an out of place iPad, but it’s the perfect size, and it’s really quick and fluid to use. The Alpine soud system is awesome, glad I ordered that too !
The auto was quite smooth, and didn’t notice the stop/start until I parked it back at the dealership when seeing the button lol
Loved the heated steering wheel, first time I ever used one, and that’s a nice feature (especially for our crazy Canadian winters :) )
I also sat in the back, and even though I felt the door was kinda tight, there’s plenty of space back there for adults (I’m 5’9).
And I was also very impressed by the standard Sahara wheels, they look great in person, while I found them very boring/below average in pictures.

Overall very impressed, the ride, the looks and overall quality makes it a totally different vehicle from the JK I think...
I told my dealer I was definitely NOT cancelling my order... If that Sahara was a manual, I probably would’ve driven it home tonight ! Lol

7C541415-A814-44E5-AAC2-B8DBC0DDA275.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So are you getting the Sahara with a manual? My local dealer got a white one in but someone had swiped the keys so I didn’t get the chance

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
Owned two JKU's before ordering my JL. Dealer I ordered from had a JLU Sport, so like several others, I took it out. I echo many of the same sentiments. The updated auto tranny made it feel a whole lot quicker than the JK with the same engine. It is much more refined and feels more solid. Hard to believe they could improve on some things like noise, but compared to the JK, it seemed quieter. I suspect the more raked windshield has a lot to do with that. Can't wait for my JLU to arrive in the next week or two!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Owned two JKU's before ordering my JL. Dealer I ordered from had a JLU Sport, so like several others, I took it out. I echo many of the same sentiments. The updated auto tranny made it feel a whole lot quicker than the JK with the same engine. It is much more refined and feels more solid. Hard to believe they could improve on some things like noise, but compared to the JK, it seemed quieter. I suspect the more raked windshield has a lot to do with that. Can't wait for my JLU to arrive in the next week or two!
It isn't just the transmission. The engine has 15% more torque between 1k and 3k rpms, which is right where people drive 99% of the time. That is noticeable. The 8 speed can take better advantage of it. I feel it in the 6 speed, too, compared with gen 1 Pentastars I've driven. The engine has been improved.

Grigs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '18 JL Unlimited Sport, Use to own 2015 JK, 2012 JK, 2008 JK, 2006 TJ
have had it for a week.. a lot more pull off the line (threw me back when I gunned it out of lot for first time) ... everything feels more refined (ride quality).... wind noise at highway speed even louder (believe it or not) .... I know you can turn it off right away but ESS is annoying... the seat does not go low enough.. i am 6' 1" and i feel too high... good luck if your tall... Aftermarket tires going on tomorrow!!!

Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I had a chance to drive a JL Rubicon hard top and then drive a Sport S with the regular soft top (non-premium). I had a 2015 JL Rubicon hard rock with dual tops.

As everyone says, interior, ride, acceleration are all improvements over the JK. I was focused on noise level in my test drives because I ordered a JK 2Dr Rubicon with just the premium soft top.

So the JL hard top is noticeably quieter than the JK hard top at 45 mph or less. Raked windshield, ANC, etc. are all at work. At 60 mph+ the JL actually seemed a bit louder than my JK. The JL hard top seems to echo a bit more. Now on my JK I had hotheads headliners and noise deafening strips. I would defiantly get a head liner if I was getting a hard top on the JL.

The Sport S soft top noise level was definitely less than my JK premium soft top. The JL soft top noise level was just a touch louder than the JL hard top. I was very impressed the how they upgraded the soft top design. And this was the non premium version. So the JL premium soft top should perform even better.

A few other comments:
- I thought the leather quality was the same btwn JL and JK which is just OK
- The Sport S cloth seats were very nice
- The standard Rubicon wheels look very nice and aggressive in person, better than the online pics
- Like everyone has said, the interior is a big upgrade
- Red Rubicon anodized dash works well with some colors (my test drive was black exterior) but Jeep should allow choice here for the colors it does not match
- 8 and 7 inch uconnect screens and functions are very nice

JL is a great upgrade for Jeep......now I have the long wait for a 2 door.....

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I wonder how the manual isin comparison to the auto whencomes to pickup/ acceleration

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
;)I just wonder how fast it will be? I don't want any tickets but that is not a problem with my old 3.8 rubi 4 spd auto with 170,000 miles on the clock. :giggle::cwl:
Sponsored