Sponsored

Hardtop headliner

Hardtop headliner. Actually worth it? Make a difference?

• Total voters

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Anyone have this on a JK? I didn't order it with my JL, but a friend has highly suggested it. I'm more concerned about cutting down on noise that heat loss, etc. I've found the Mopar one online for almost half what they wanted to add it for when ordering. Just curious if it actually makes a noticeable difference. Any aftermarket ones that are better?
Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Also curious on how effective these are. Does anyone know if there is anything like this for a soft top as well?

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Never had this for my LJ in Colorado so it's certainly not necessary but I plan to get one aftermarket for my future JL.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I voted it doesn't do much, b/c I don't recall noticing a big difference in sound/temperature in the cab. But, I am comparing a 2dr that had it vs my 4drs that did not. I did like how it made the roof look...

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I have a hothead one on my current JKU, it does make a difference....Ive got a premium soft top on my new order but if I had a hardtop Id certainly get it again, most likely I'd order the hot head instead on the mopar one for what looks like a cost savings but Id have to double check the numbers....esthetically I think it looks better as well, but YMMV.

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I had Boom mat headliner in my JKUR, it made a significant difference with sound and insulation. Sitting in direct sunlight without the headliner, the freedom panels would be almost too hot to touch on the inside, but were fine after the installation of the headliner.

Although in hindsight I would have gotten the white headliner vs. the black one that I installed to brighten up the interior.

I don't have any experience with the MOPAR "oem" version of the headliner, but I suspect it will provide some of the qualities that I had with the boom mats.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Kind of unrelated, do they make aftermarket freedom panels with glass inserts to make it more like a sunroof while there are on?

OP
OP
dgriffin1671

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Kind of unrelated, do they make aftermarket freedom panels with glass inserts to make it more like a sunroof while there are on?
Yes, I have seen companies online that would do this to your Freedom Tops. Not sure of their reliability, but they are out there. Edit @Schmeegz www.Jeetops.com is one I found

Last edited:

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm going to look at this from another angle. Assuming they are useful, I think you're bound to get better product for the money buying them in the aftermarket or making them yourself.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I'm going to look at this from another angle. Assuming they are useful, I think you're bound to get better product for the money buying them in the aftermarket or making them yourself.
Agreed. After comparing the available aftermarket options and the Mopar offering I found I like the Hothead offering the best. If I get a hardtop I'd definitely add the Hothead headliner.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Agreed. After comparing the available aftermarket options and the Mopar offering I found I like the Hothead offering the best. If I get a hardtop I'd definitely add the Hothead headliner.
Can’t go wrong, I love their products, customer support is top notch and so is the quality.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the aftermarket one on my JK, and they definitely work....they insulate heat from radiating on your head, they also make the stereo sound better, and finish off the interior, however, the aftermarket solution costs half of the mopar one, so take my opinion with that grain of salt.

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
If I had a tan interior, I'd want a tan headliner. If black, I'd want a light gray headliner. I'd rather have nothing than the factory black.
Sponsored