Hard Top On

1. alex_a2012

alex_a2012 Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 E350 MB Coupe, 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
    Liked:

I installed my JTOPSUSA yesterday and was unimpressed with the droop that occurs when you fold back magnetized flap and have the hardtop. It's a bust for me. I'll try adjusting mine as you did yours; however, the entire second row and cargo area is already taut. [email protected]

2. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    Maybe a stupid question, but I just got a hard top after running only a softop for the last year... How the heck to you latch/unlatch the rear side latches of the freedom panels with the jtop shade installed? Sure, they put the slots for the rear center latches, but the outer ones?

okie dokie likes this.
  3. Scarr2k

Scarr2k Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    Anyone figure out how to fix the “droop” of the shade in the front when the hard top is installed? I would have thought with this being the JtopsUSA forum JtopsUSA would have addressed these concerns from nearly a year ago.

4. offset_98

offset_98 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
    Liked:
    You're not pulling hard enough. I have zero droop. I have had it up to 70 and still no issues.

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

5. Scarr2k

Scarr2k Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    I don’t have one but I’m looking at getting one. My question was when you install the hard top and fold back the magnetized flap and the alleged “droop”. Not when installed without hard top.

6. offset_98

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    For that I'll have to let you know tomorrow when I put the hardtop back on. There is a rod that spans the overhead opening so my thought is it will lie on that rod but I'll know more tomorrow.

7. offset_98

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Hardtop on, still looks ok I think.

IMG_3463.JPG

8. Bswen

Bswen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Ive had two JTops. They sent me a second one for free because of the droop. Two things changed.
    One, they had a batch go out where the foam pads under the buckles were upside down (sticky side vs smooth side) so that the buckles didnt hold their position on the painted section of the bar. This helped slightly.
    Two, they added a stretchy piece of something around the middle hole for the freedom panel locks. This made the droop back to the same. I cant get the buckles tight enough to stop the droop.

The second one is maybe, slightly better than the first.

@offset_98 , it looks like you dont have the middle hole for the freedom panel locks. Am I seeing that correctly? Maybe I should get them to send me one without the center hole, if so...

9. offset_98

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    It's there.

IMG_3465.JPG

Bswen likes this.
  10. Bearman95

Bearman95 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    I took JTops off. When I have it on with my top on and it is not connected to the windshield channel it drops down and touches the the top of my head. I am 6’3” though so I may just be to tall for it. Only had it on for a couple of weeks and saw it was not going to work for me when I had my top on. It works fine with my top off and I have it fitted to the windshield channel. I also tried the Alien on the front and it rubbed my head 100 percent of the time. I gave that thing away.

11. Bswen

Bswen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Crazy that yours doesnt droop as bad as some. If mine didnt droop it would be perfect. With the top off and it fully installed it is perfect. Top on it droops and looks stupid.

12. offset_98

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Just by looking at the location of the middle hole for the freedom panels and how far back it is, you can see how tightly I have it fit. I have it ultra tight left to right as well. I put the top on, drove it, re-tightened it, drove it again but this time on the highway and when I went to re-tighten it a third time, only 2 straps needed it.

I think its just a matter of taking the time to tinker with it. We'll see if it droops over time as my top is on until the fall (Hot and sticky season in FL right now).

13. Bswen

Bswen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Ive had two, tightened them all sorts of ways. The first one didnt have the elastic band at the middle hole. Ill try one more time, then Ill be done with it. Not getting rid of it or anything, but accepting it is the way it is. I love it when the top is off.