Hand held CBs - Any value at all?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
From what I’ve read on this forum, hand held CBs have a range of several hundred yards, depending on conditions. Is that good enough for group trail riding? I’m really not interested in permenantly installing a CB and fixed antenna. A hand held vhf radio is another option, but I assume most people I’d meet up with on the trails go the CB route due to not having to get the license for a vhf hand held.

I’m not concerned with range per se even if I’m out of cell phone tower range. I have a Sat phone for emergencies.
Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The limitation is primarily because of the antenna. A handheld would work 10x better if you could connect an external antenna (when needed). Otherwise, the handhelds really struggle - beyond the length of your winch line (LOL).

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah, you're really going to need a better antenna to improve a CB's range, handheld or not. The sets themselves have improved over the years to the point where they can't be made any better but the basics of antenna theory will always apply.

I transmit appx 7 miles out of the CB on my Cherokee with a 5' antenna but I'm sure I won't get that much out of my new Wrangler because it doesn't have a metal roof. Do you just not want to install one because of aesthetics? I have a fold-down unit on my Cherokee for that reason and will probably buy an identical one for my JL.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yeah, you're really going to need a better antenna to improve a CB's range, handheld or not. The sets themselves have improved over the years to the point where they can't be made any better but the basics of antenna theory will always apply.

I transmit appx 7 miles out of the CB on my Cherokee with a 5' antenna but I'm sure I won't get that much out of my new Wrangler because it doesn't have a metal roof. Do you just not want to install one because of aesthetics? I have a fold-down unit on my Cherokee for that reason and will probably buy an identical one for my JL.
I don’t want to invest the time in an install for something I’ll rarely use. If a handheld will work for 100 yards or so, that probably checks the box for me. I had my fill of CBs when I first stared driving. I remember a friend who had an illegal linear amp that was so powerful he’d light up hose rear defroster light whenever he transmitted due to the power his rear defroster absorbed from his trunk minted antenna.

grumeazy

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jlu sport s
we use hand held vhf/uhf. Mine is a rugged radio (on sale right now for about $65). if you search boefeng on amazon they are the exact same thing for around $40. At that price it might be worth having a hand held CB and a vhf/uhf radio just in case. We usually get about a mile or 2 of range depending on range. When in a group we are rarely more than a quarter mile apart so they work well.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
The Midland 75-822 is a handheld CB that can be run off batteries or a 12 volt vehicle power outlet.

What metal is the cowl (between hood and windshield) made of? If it's steel you could put a mag mount CB antenna there when needed.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
we use hand held vhf/uhf. Mine is a rugged radio (on sale right now for about $65). if you search boefeng on amazon they are the exact same thing for around $40. At that price it might be worth having a hand held CB and a vhf/uhf radio just in case. We usually get about a mile or 2 of range depending on range. When in a group we are rarely more than a quarter mile apart so they work well.
For people reading this, it's important to note you need a license from the FCC to transmit using the VHF/UHF radio on 2m/70cm legally. Don't just go buy a Baofeng and start keying up, the fines can be enormous.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For people reading this, it's important to note you need a license from the FCC to transmit using the VHF/UHF radio on 2m/70cm legally. Don't just go buy a Baofeng and start keying up, the fines can be enormous.
I’d be glad to get a license for a VHF handset if I thought most people I’d be jeeping with had one. Seems like most go the CB route, at least from what I read here.

grumeazy

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jlu sport s
Yes i should have mentioned that. PLMRS license needed, i wanna say it was around $70 and valid for 5 years if memory serves me correctly. I don't recall if a HAM license will work but I think it does. I guess it all comes down to what the people you go out with are using mostly.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Yes i should have mentioned that. PLMRS license needed, i wanna say it was around $70 and valid for 5 years if memory serves me correctly. I don't recall if a HAM license will work but I think it does. I guess it all comes down to what the people you go out with are using mostly.
A ham license does not give access to land mobile frequencies.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
The handheld cbs are handy for spotting

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
The limitation is primarily because of the antenna. A handheld would work 10x better if you could connect an external antenna (when needed). Otherwise, the handhelds really struggle - beyond the length of your winch line (LOL).
Quite a few hand-held models come with a magnetic base external antenna and those have a bit more range. The Jeepers in my part of the world have moved to FRS/GMRS radios, however, so I only bring my CB when I anticipate needing flexibility to communicate with an unfamiliar crew.
Sponsored