Sponsored

Granger & PPF/Tint

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I’m seeing a few options online, yet, looking for feedback from anyone with experience. Picking up at Granger in a few weeks, anyone have recommendations for a paint protection / tint installer in the area before I make the long trip back home?
Sponsored

ashegam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2DR Willys Sports
Just remember even though the idea might sound good, if you run into any issues that require follow up, e.g., pealing tint etc. you're going to have to take it to a local shop and pay to get it fixed, same with PPF which is even a more expensive product.

Just chill with your jeep on the drive back and you'll be fine. Meanwhile just do your research and schedule something with a local shop.

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
I had to get the PPF fixed on my wife's Wrangler so it's best to use someone local.

OP
OP

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Good advice, I was under the impression that any Xpel install issues could be warrantied at a local installer, at least that’s been my prior experience.

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKUR, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
As far as Llumar and XPEL as long as they are an authorized dealer anyone in the country can do a warranty claim. I am not sure about other companies.

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
Stick with a local installer. I have a car with PPF, and I'm having issues with the stuff, and having the original installer around is important. These PPF wraps aren't all they're cracked up to be. They will stain, they do trap moisture under the PPF (if you live in a wet environment), and if they're up against something really hot (like the exhaust) they will bubble up. Not sure I would do it again. The best thing about them is that I can have it removed and the original factory paint is (hopefully) still there.

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stick with a local installer. I have a car with PPF, and I'm having issues with the stuff, and having the original installer around is important. These PPF wraps aren't all they're cracked up to be. They will stain, they do trap moisture under the PPF (if you live in a wet environment), and if they're up against something really hot (like the exhaust) they will bubble up. Not sure I would do it again. The best thing about them is that I can have it removed and the original factory paint is (hopefully) still there.
I have done PPF and full wraps on multiple cars and have never had issues like you are describing. What brand did they use?

Captain Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2023 Jeep Willys
I have done PPF and full wraps on multiple cars and have never had issues like you are describing. What brand did they use?
+1

Those are very unusual issues. Poor quality film or poor quality install.

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
+1

Those are very unusual issues. Poor quality film or poor quality install.

Yea I have used Llumar/3M, STEK, XPel, and Madico films on my past vehicles and have never had one single issue other than a few touch up spots on my initial full vehicle wrap of our SQ5. I live in Colorado so my vehicles see extreme sun and extreme winters. Here a couple of pics just for fun of the SQ5 in 3M Matte Military green with STEK Demascus PPF on the mirror caps and roof.
Jeep Wrangler JL Granger & PPF/Tint SQ5 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Granger & PPF/Tint SQ5 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Granger & PPF/Tint SQ5 3

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a Viper wrapped with Suntek Ultra, and the first thing that happened was the wrap bubbled up on the side sills next to where the cats are. The installer said that it was common with any wrap - they don't take extreme heat very well, and the side sills of Vipers get so hot that they'll melt just about anything. Then, while leaving the car covered in the garage over the winter, condensation built up under the car cover and turned the wrap a milky white color. That's another very common problem - but it does go away if I leave the car out in the hot sun for a while.

I may be an unusual data point on this, though. I live in an area that is super wet and the humidity during the winter is always around 99%. During the day, the cars warm up, and then overnight, the humidity condenses onto everything. I always put a cover onto the Viper because my garage is prone to all kinds of perils (bikes tipping over, ski racks falling off of their hooks, cats jumping onto the cars and then skidding down the hood with their claws out, you name it...).

In other areas, I think the wrap would make a lot more sense, but around here, it was an expensive mistake. I paid around $10k for the wrap, and it's worth it to protect the paint, but it doesn't look all that great compared to unwrapped cars.

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
I had a Viper wrapped with Suntek Ultra, and the first thing that happened was the wrap bubbled up on the side sills next to where the cats are. The installer said that it was common with any wrap - they don't take extreme heat very well, and the side sills of Vipers get so hot that they'll melt just about anything. Then, while leaving the car covered in the garage over the winter, condensation built up under the car cover and turned the wrap a milky white color. That's another very common problem - but it does go away if I leave the car out in the hot sun for a while.

I may be an unusual data point on this, though. I live in an area that is super wet and the humidity during the winter is always around 99%. During the day, the cars warm up, and then overnight, the humidity condenses onto everything. I always put a cover onto the Viper because my garage is prone to all kinds of perils (bikes tipping over, ski racks falling off of their hooks, cats jumping onto the cars and then skidding down the hood with their claws out, you name it...).

In other areas, I think the wrap would make a lot more sense, but around here, it was an expensive mistake. I paid around $10k for the wrap, and it's worth it to protect the paint, but it doesn't look all that great compared to unwrapped cars.
I have full Xpel Ultimate on my Gen 5 ACR and have no issues (no bubbling around on the sills). I haven't had the moisture problem you had both my home garage and winter storage facility are pretty dry. Paid $6,500 back in 2016.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have full Xpel Ultimate on my Gen 5 ACR and have no issues (no bubbling around on the sills). I haven't had the moisture problem you had both my home garage and winter storage facility are pretty dry. Paid $6,500 back in 2016.
I'll bet if you look at the side sill on the passenger side, you'll notice the wrap starting to peel up. Eventually, especially if you track the car, it will bubble up. For some reason, the passenger side sill gets a lot hotter than the driver's side. The driver's side on mine isn't bad at all - just peeling up a little bit. Either the exhaust is closer to the body on the passenger side, or it has something to do with the engine controller running the fuel mixture a bit differently on that side of the cylinder banks and heating the secondary cat more than on the driver's side.

The milky white spots are already starting to go away now that I took the cover off of it. That's what happened last summer when I took it out.

Overall, with an expensive paint job, the PPF is worth it. For a Wrangler, I'm not so sure. A whole re-spray on most of the colors is pretty inexpensive - but a pain in the butt to have to do. On my Sting Gray Rubicon, a ceramic job works just fine, and since the likelihood of needing to have body work done in the future is high, I figure PPF might be overkill. But, to each his or her own.