Sponsored

Gladiator Fox shocks on JLUR?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@Kevin Mojito Cant wait for the results. Also, can you share what you devise for the spacers that are needed? I am ok with a little softer.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Getting a hold of Fox now.
I did Not even think of that. I just assumed use spacer from ace hardware etc. however, from my experience Fox customer service is amazing and I bet they have fox spacers that will work.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
They were closed. Accutune has Fox parts, they had them and are on the way. Hope to have them by end of the week or sooner.
Yes, I could use washers. But I like the nice bushings for the job.

It's only the top rear shocks that need them. All the rest are the same as JL shocks.

Tops - 2.750
Bottoms - 1.570

Tops Rear JT - 1.570

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You only need the spacers for the top rear mount. JT is 1.570 top and bottom. It needs to be 2.750 top and 1.570 bottom for the JL. I have a second set of spacer coming, the first could have been made to work but will wait for the right ones. Hope to finish this up this week for drive testing.

Bolt holes are the same diameter JL and JT. Same for the length.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
You only need the spacers for the top rear mount. JT is 1.570 top and bottom. It needs to be 2.750 top and 1.570 bottom for the JL. I have a second set of spacer coming, the first could have been made to work but will wait for the right ones. Hope to finish this up this week for drive testing.

Bolt holes are the same diameter JL and JT. Same for the length.
Great info. I didn't measure the holes, but I recall the bolt heads/nuts being 21mm on the rear shocks vs 18mm on the JL's.:beer:

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stand corrected. Chris is right. The rear JT shock is a 14 mm hole top and bottom The JL is 13mm hole top and bottom.

Good news I can make the bushings I have work. Just a little drilling out of the shock bushing. For the bottom mount not sure yet. I have the rear sway bar links. The sleeve looks like it's the correct size I need for the bottom shock mount.

In the end I will have a bunch of pictures of what it takes to do this.

Last edited:

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is all finished up.

I did the work with basic tools, and buying a few spacers. The front shocks bolt directly on, no problems.

The rears take a little more work. The hole size is larger for the JT rear. The JT has 14mm upper and lower mount bolt holes. At first, I thought no big deal, just press out the sleeves and get a set like the fronts. This is a bigger deal as FCA spec’s out their own mounts not FOX. That and the sleeves are bounded to the rubber, no pressing them out and replacing. Not easily anyways.

With that in mind I went with drilling out the uppers with a 16mm drill. This lets the Accutune spacers fit. I then had to grind down the width a ¼ to fit the frame mount side. For the lower, I just filled with good old JB weld and re-drilled the hole to 13mm ( 15/32 ) a little smaller.

After this they are a bolt in.

How do they ride……

They are soft for sure. Lots of brake dive and acceleration lift. Side to side sway. I have not used them off road yet, to see if they have a high speed rate that firms up? If you are looking for a softer ride then stock JL these will do it.

JT JBweld.jpg

JTfrontmounted.jpg

JTJLfront .jpg

JTJLrear.jpg

JTrearmounted.jpg

JTupperreardrill.jpg

Sponsored

n2jeep

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
On the ride , you said it sways back and fourth, So would you recommend it over just keeping stock rubicon shocks? I do like a softer ride, but not constant swaying. Thanks for the write up!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
On the ride , you said it sways back and fourth, So would you recommend it over just keeping stock rubicon shocks? I do like a softer ride, but not constant swaying. Thanks for the write up!
Even on the Gladiator the Rubicon rear shocks were way to soft IMO. This coming from someone that loves a nice soft ride. I don't recall swaying, but they had a bit more "bounce" after hitting a bump than I would like.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you had a TJ in the past, it feels more like that. A floaty, marshmallow 70's cadillac feel. The sway bar feels like it's disconnected ( not that bad but kind of). Sorry not a suspension expert on the correct terms to use. Just know what I feel.
I can hear the bumps and pot holes, but almost don't feel them in the seat or steering wheel.
I kind of feel the these shocks are not pressurized? Like an old hydro shock?
On the way to work this morning, headlights flashing on the street signs ( light , dark ). So I know it the jeep wallowing around.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
never know till you try ;)

But I did run the front JT's with Mopar lift spring and Mopar fox rear. The front was still soft. The whole JT set up must be really soft. Which I dont know why they would soften up the front end on the JT, it should be stiffer with the tow package it gets. I still have not driven the Rubicon JT yet.
Sponsored