Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Beyond scope at the moment as to specifics, suffice it to say I have reason to bring relatively thick battery cable (two 4 gauge wires, about 3/8" in outside diameter each) into the rig, directly from the battery, to energize a winch I am attempted to convert into an automatic OEM sot top opener and closer: at least to the Sunrider position and back.

I'm curious whether anyone has recommendations on how to do this.

None of the internal factory outlets will supply the amperage needed. To my mind I can think of three ways to do this. I was hoping for critique of same, and/or additional ideas.

The first way taps the same technique of the 7 pin hitch wiring harness in snaking wires through the firewall through grommets below and to the right of the glove box. Using this technique I can barely get an unfolded wire hanger through, let alone attach the 2 wires to said line, and pull them through.

Another way is to go under the rig. Careful to stay away from moving and hot parts, with zip ties in hand, and run the wires like I did the battery wire I installed when adding an aftermarket 4 pin hitch harness to my rig. (This wire is much thinner.) Once the wires are in the back of the rig I can take out at either side's brake housing for a moment, shove the wires up, and through grommets on either side of the rig in this cavity into the cabin space, reinstalling the brake housing thereafter. This involves a lot of cable.

The third idea I had is to send the wires up through the otherwise untapped holes below and on either side in the front of the rig that are used to drain the front OEM heavy duty floor mats, (I'l likely go with the passenger's side.) I have no use to drain my rig, and both holes are currently as I got them from the factory. Once the wires are in I can then fill the hole with weather and water tight treatment, snacking the wires, once in the rig, below this mat (but above the carpeting), under the front passenger's seat and to destinations beyond.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
When I ran the wiring harness/relay/connectors from the ULTIMA HALOGEN REAR LIGHTS, forward to the drivers side drain plug(grommeted the rubber plug and the all weather mat covers without any noticeable "humps"--

I ran the harness wires behind the dash console/zip-tyed to other stock harness's and I used the bottom ground stud behind the passenger footwell kick panel--

I draw power from AUX sw # 2, when I run the harness for driving lights I'll probably use the same route(or go thru the lower dash) and supply power from AUX switch's 2/3(15 amp fused), although the ULTIMA lights are also pre-fused at 15 amps--

So I used your #3 method--easy/direct/no mess-

JIMBO
SUNP0093_zpsxsostivg.jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
There is a video of and aux switch install on cjponyparts that shows access behing the wheel well passenger side
Might want to check that out

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I’d go through the drain holes too. This doesn’t directly impact your issue but in case anyone needs this, my aux light install video is pretty complete. Several other videos I have seen gloss over a few important steps. Hopefully this helps someone:

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
It’s been a while since I’ve crawled under a dash but from 15yrs working as an electronics installer in cars, boats, etc. I’d suggest a few things. If you can find a factory plug in the firewall big enough It would be my first choice. If you have to run the wires to the back going under the Jeep shouldn’t be too hard.
Another option would be to drill your own hole thru the firewall. Where ever you have to pass thru metal make sure to use a grommet and seal around the wires. Also use a quality fuse holder at the battery! I’ve seen many self installs with no fuse at the battery. It’s a fire waiting to happen. Another tip is to make sure your ground is on bare metal, securely mounted, and use an equivalent size ground wire.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
There is a video of and aux switch install on cjponyparts that shows access behing the wheel well passenger side
Might want to check that out
Yes, this will fit the wiring. I installed the aux switches and the wiring is very thick. With minor effort, you can push it through.

049283DE-1C36-4F8F-8CA3-F402813D5B8B.jpeg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
In an older vehicle I had, I had to run a 10ga heavily insulated wire to an amplifier in the truck.

Much like the picture in the post above, I found one of these grommets in the firewall, and I cut a slit with a razor knife it it to allow my larger wire to pass through. The grommets are much larger than the factory wire, so typically there is a lot of extra dead filler space around the inner part of the grommet.
Sponsored