First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Thank you gentleman for your assistance on this topic.

I bought the Explorer+ Saturday evening. Finally had a chance to register it and set up my mobile and laptop to communicate with it. Set up the kids - with Jeeps - as standard text recipients. All told, it took me over a couple of hours to set the system up. It's not complicated, just time consuming to figure it out and do it. Will get my kids to follow me on our Friday trip to see if it works from their end. I followed @CanAmMick 's lead and signed up for the @24.95 plan ... figure half the cost is for me to send a "help" text and the other half is for my daughter to see where we're at, see that we're still moving, and not worry.

As I was being handed an inReach unit at REI, I noticed a Spot new two-way messenger under the glass counter. I ignored it and bought the inReach, but researched it today. Looks like the new spot unit is not performing that well ... reviews peg it at 2.8 out of 5. Here's a link if you care to look:

https://www.rei.com/product/139231/spot-x-2-way-satellite-messenger
Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic

I bought the Explorer+ Saturday evening. Finally had a chance to register it and set up my mobile and laptop to communicate with it. Set up the kids - with Jeeps - as standard text recipients. All told, it took me over a couple of hours to set the system up. It's not complicated, just time consuming to figure it out and do it. Will get my kids to follow me on our Friday trip to see if it works from their end. I followed @CanAmMick 's lead and signed up for the @24.95 plan ... figure half the cost is for me to send a "help" text and the other half is for my daughter to see where we're at, see that we're still moving, and not worry.

As I was being handed an inReach unit at REI, I noticed a Spot new two-way messenger under the glass counter. I ignored it and bought the inReach, but researched it today. Looks like the new spot unit is not performing that well ... reviews peg it at 2.8 out of 5. Here's a link if you care to look:

That’s great! Glad you got one. Now at least your family and friends will know where your at, and if something does go wrong you can text your family, or hit the SOS button to request help.

Hope we never have to use it for an emergency but you never know when something may go wrong. It a great piece of mind knowing that you can still get in touch with someone when there is no cell service.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Congrats. this really is one of my greatest fears heading out off the beaten path. I really wish you could get something like this and "pay as you go" type thing. We will go several months where this would just be a waste. Maybe when we retire and would use it more.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Congrats. this really is one of my greatest fears heading out off the beaten path. I really wish you could get something like this and "pay as you go" type thing. We will go several months where this would just be a waste. Maybe when we retire and would use it more.

You can do that! If you pay as you go, the monthly cost is higher, but then if your only going to use it say 3 mounts out of the year $90-$100 is a lot less expensive that $350 or so.

You would want the Freedom plan.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Towards the bottom of the link above.

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Friday we traveled the Senator Highway and Crown King Road (#30 in the FunTreks book ... easy) going up to Prescott. Had cellphone coverage the entire way. But, we were able to talk with our daughter and understand what she was seeing at her end of the equation.

Then on Sunday, we traveled the New River road (#41 in the FunTreks book ... medium) going back home to Queen Creek. We were out of cell phone range for about 25 miles of the trip. From our end it was painless ... fire up the unit, scroll to tracking, and hit start ... scroll over to preset and send the "We're starting the trail" preset message. From my daughter's end, they were able to follow us on the route for the entire afternoon. When we didn't answer our phone, they sent a text asking if our phones were turned off. We were able to tell them "nope, just no cell service available." Saw one Razor and one 4X4 at the beginning of the trip, then nothing for the remaining 20 miles.

The reviews are correct, the inReach unit reminds me of the pre-touch screen GPS units. But, it performs it's primary function of keeping folks in touch with you when out of cell coverage at a reasonable price point.

Sponsored

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
One of the problems we've encounter while 4-wheeling in the Arizona area is limited cell phone reception. Since we do most off roads by our selves, that's a concern. My daughter has a 2012 Sport that has been modified with 2.5" lift, 35" tires, new gearing, and winch. And, my son has a 2017 JK Rubicon. Thus, I'm not lacking for recovery options, if I can just get in touch with them. BTW ... I leave a .gpx file for the trail we're taking in a DropBox file that they have access to ... and I tell them when and where we're going ... and hint at when we'll return.

My initial search has shown satellite phones to be expensive to buy and very expensive to use. Some of the units like "Spot" really call in the Calvary ... needs to be life threatening before one should use it. Plus, Spot is only one way communication. You're kind of left wondering if the call went out or not!

Looks like the Garmin inReach units are the only viable option for help when cell phone service is not available and it's not a real life threatening emergency.

Does anyone have experience with the Garmin inReach units? Am I missing something else?
I have one of the second gen (first gen Screen Edition) units from DeLorme, before Garmin bought the system. I love it. I am in Alaska, so anywhere off the road system (and many places on it) is out of cell service area. I used to camp monthly when my boys were more active in scouts, so it didn’t bother me spending $25/month. Now I only go out 3-4 times a year, I may go to the ala-cart plans, but I haven’t decided yet.

I like sitting on a mountaintop, miles from the road, and be able to tell my wife good night. And also be able to call in a MEDEVAC if I need to. Plus, as it updates every ten minutes if you set it to, she can pull up the website and see where I am at any given point. Anyone you set up as a contact can two way text you. It’s just a great tool for safety and communication for areas with little to no comms infrastructure.

nam5146

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Wrangler Rubicon
So I know this has been quiet for awhile, but I had a question on how are you positioning this in your Jeep? I don't want to have mine bouncing around when I am off road.

Thanks!
Nicole

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
So I know this has been quiet for awhile, but I had a question on how are you positioning this in your Jeep? I don't want to have mine bouncing around when I am off road.

Thanks!
Nicole
Go to 7:52 (7 minutes, 52 seconds) in to see how Chris in venture4wd mounted his. I think I'll mount mine in my 67 Design unit at my dash.

nam5146

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Wrangler Rubicon
Go to 7:52 (7 minutes, 52 seconds) in to see how Chris in venture4wd mounted his. I think I'll mount mine in my 67 Design unit at my dash.
That is a great idea. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Nicole

Blackey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon JL
I’m thinking about getting one soon my guess is the built in sos in the Jeep requires cell service not satellite anyone know for sure.
Sponsored