First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
The Owner's Manual states:
"To return the seat to a sitting position, fold the seatback upright until it locks and push the seat rearward until the track locks."

This is not how mine operates. Once a seat is slid forward, the only way I can return it is to first slide the seat back, then fold the seatback into the upright position. I cannot move the seatback upright, then push the seat rearward per the manual.

Am I missing something?

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Passenger Seat Easy Entry Question FPS 2 door
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mikester86

If I remember correctly, what you are seeing is the way my 2 dr. behaves. I have rear seat pulled so rarely move the passenger seat forward..

Since you are asking this question, I am assuming you have rear seat passengers / are using the rear seat..

DO keep in mind that the plastic "easy entry lever" as they call it ... the lever/handle on the top of the seat, is frail and known to break... or come apart, so you and your passengers should go very easy on it.

Also, you might want to read here...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/passenger-seat-stuck.82241/post-1720633

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
@Mikester86

If I remember correctly, what you are seeing is the way my 2 dr. behaves. I have rear seat pulled so rarely move the passenger seat forward..

Since you are asking this question, I am assuming you have rear seat passengers / are using the rear seat..

DO keep in mind that the plastic lever/handle on the top of the seat is frail and known to break... or come apart, so you and your passengers should go very easy on it.

Also, you might want to read here...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/passenger-seat-stuck.82241/post-1720633
Apparently the user manual needs some refreshing.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Apparently the user manual needs some refreshing.
@Mikester86

We'll see if other 2 dr. owner's see what you are seeing. As I mention I believe my seats behave the same way..

Just always remember to go real easy on your seats when you move them. Move them slowly and deliberately. No slamming them forward or backward. Pull up on that easy entry at the top of the seat very gingerly/very easily...

Watch closely when rear seat passenger / other's fool with the seats. Better that you do for them.

Just remember what I am suggesting or you will undoubtedly be faced with a seat issue that keeps you from actually driving the JL.

I baby baby my seats... I keep spare seat return inserts in the JL, just in case.. The seats are one of the known problem areas.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
@Mikester86

We'll see if other 2 dr. owner's see what you are seeing. As I mention I believe my seats behave the same way..

Just always remember to go real easy on your seats when you move them. Move them slowly and deliberately. No slamming them forward or backward. Pull up on that easy entry at the top of the seat very gingerly/very easily...

Watch closely when rear seat passenger / other's fool with the seats. Better that you do for them.

Just remember what I am suggesting or you will undoubtedly be faced with a seat issue that keeps you from actually driving the JL.

I baby baby my seats... I keep spare seat return inserts in the JL, just in case.. The seats are one of the known problem areas.
I will heed your warning! Thank you!

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The Owner's Manual states:
"To return the seat to a sitting position, fold the seatback upright until it locks and push the seat rearward until the track locks."

This is not how mine operates. Once a seat is slid forward, the only way I can return it is to first slide the seat back, then fold the seatback into the upright position. I cannot move the seatback upright, then push the seat rearward per the manual.

Am I missing something?

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Passenger Seat Easy Entry Question FPS 2 door
You're not missing anything, the manual has it backwards. Slide seat back then push seatback upright. As others have said, don't be violent about it. You don't exactly need to baby it either.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
You're not missing anything, the manual has it backwards. Slide seat back then push seatback upright. As others have said, don't be violent about it. You don't exactly need to baby it either.
Good to know my mind is not totally lost yet!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
So, dumb question, but what exactly is the proper order to do this? Manual states to pull upward on the lever and then slide the seat forward, but on the '23 I just picked up, doing this doesn't really seem to do anything on either seat (though I can eventually get them forward by pulling the seat recline strap). And once finally forward, the seats seem to lock there until pulling the same strap again.

Not sure if something's changed for '23, but the manual mentions that you shouldn't be using the recline strap during this process. The passenger side seems to work a bit better than the driver's, but something doesn't seem right.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I just lift the lever at the top of the seat and it slides forward and folds. Don’t touch the recline strap.

theory2

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I have same issue. Just went to dealer for other service and had them check it. Seat is broken. Mine was broken form the day I took delivery. Parts are, of course, on back order. My passenger seat works as it should.

Edit: Dealer did mention there is a notice they received about this seat part/issue.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Never, ever use the release handle to pull the seat forward. Pull it only to release the mechanism, fold the seat back forward by hand, then slide the entire seat forward. No need to pull on that handle when returning the seat to it’s original position. Slide the seat back, them fold the seat back to it’s upright position. It will go right back to how it was set. These most often break when people pull the release handle then use it to pull the entire seat forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Never, ever use the release handle to pull the seat forward. Pull it only to release the mechanism, fold the seat back forward by hand, then slide the entire seat forward. No need to pull on that handle when returning the seat to it’s original position. Slide the seat back, them fold the seat back to it’s upright position. It will go right back to how it was set. These most often brek when people pull the release handle then use it to pull the entire seat forward.
To add, I have found that after sliding the seat back to where it stops, then raising the seat back, it stops short of its prior location. I keep the drivers seat all the way back. It always stops short. Not a big deal, I just move it back the rest of the way.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Never, ever use the release handle to pull the seat forward. Pull it only to release the mechanism, fold the seat back forward by hand, then slide the entire seat forward. No need to pull on that handle when returning the seat to it’s original position. Slide the seat back, them fold the seat back to it’s upright position. It will go right back to how it was set. These most often break when people pull the release handle then use it to pull the entire seat forward.
For whatever reason, both release handles weren't doing anything on mine when I first got it (without needing to also pull the recline strap). Tried again the other day, and everything was suddenly working fine and as expected. I'm kinda relieved, but still a little hesitant to ever use it again unless absolutely necessary.

To add, I have found that after sliding the seat back to where it stops, then raising the seat back, it stops short of its prior location. I keep the drivers seat all the way back. It always stops short. Not a big deal, I just move it back the rest of the way.
Noticed that mine actually went further back another notch compared to where it was first set. I'm not 100% sure if it slid further back or maybe reclined further back, but I had to slide the seat forward to go back to my original seating position.
Sponsored