avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I recently swapped the hard top back onto the Jeep for the winter. The Soft top is gracing parts of my house that apparently need to get cleaned up for family coming over. I have been trying to get some ideas on what to do, I think in the short term I may just get some hooks and hang it in the basement or so as I work on a longer term solution.

Did anyone else have issues taking the bracket to release and come off when you removed it?

I had the soft-top folded flat plenty of times when it was attached, but, it's having a hard time staying closed when I fold it up, I was wondering if people had similar experiences?

Was there any guides online? There's plenty to show how to install it, non to show how to remove it and store it.
Sponsored

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
I recently swapped the hard top back onto the Jeep for the winter. The Soft top is gracing parts of my house that apparently need to get cleaned up for family coming over. I have been trying to get some ideas on what to do, I think in the short term I may just get some hooks and hang it in the basement or so as I work on a longer term solution.

Did anyone else have issues taking the bracket to release and come off when you removed it?

I had the soft-top folded flat plenty of times when it was attached, but, it's having a hard time staying closed when I fold it up, I was wondering if people had similar experiences?

Was there any guides online? There's plenty to show how to install it, non to show how to remove it and store it.
I too am looking for any guidance on the best way to store the soft top. Was thinking I could use some ladder storage hooks from Lowe’s or similar to hang on the wall in the garage but want to make sure I do not cause any damage to the top. Plan to hang the windows via clamps on the wall as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
I just swapped my soft top for the hard top last Friday before the snow hit here in N.C. Taking the framework apart was a piece of cake. Maybe took 10 minutes. I was having a friend swing by to help me lift the soft top off and put the hard top on. I became a little impatient and did the removal myself. The trick was to use the Velcro straps to keep everything together before unbolting the 4 mounting screws. I also put the factory ST storage bag back on BEFORE I removed it from the Jeep. Figured it would help if I dropped it and kept everything cinched. LOL. It was a bit awkward but not as heavy as you would think.

My brackets came off easily. I am sure if you have two people to keep the bracket square it would help.

I have the hanging storage shelves in my garage and wanted to lay it flat vs. pinched by hooks. Not sure of any long term memory if it was hung by hooks. The shelf also holds the hardware, ST framework and windows.

48E0C423-5721-4A5E-921F-8710B83106F0.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@avei5150 , @Hartdt : you appear to both be dual top owners. While I could suggest, as has some threads on this forum, both where and how to store your soft top, there's one basic thing I need understanding on.

Why can't you place it in the same location you stored your hard top when the warmer weather had you riding with the soft top on?

My soft top compresses just fine into the vinyl storage bag it came in when I purchased the Dual Top option. I put the windows in the giant but very flat box they came in, which was inside the humongous box that the soft top came in that occupied the entire back of my JLU.

I'd store the windows flat, separated by something like towels.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
.. Not sure of any long term memory if it was hung by hooks.
..are you concerned that the soft top fabric may develop irrevocably creases if it's hung wrong, or

...;)are you becoming senile like me

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
My top hangs on hooks on my garage wall inside the original vinyl wrapper thing. The brackets I store between the rafters in my garage. The windows are in the window storage bag laid flat in my crawl space on top of some bins. Hopefully all will be well when I take it out of storage in 5 months or so.

6900DDF0-D1B6-45C3-AACB-86A129BE39A1.jpg

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I used utility hooks from Home Depot. I added a third hook to help distribute the additional weight after I got a Sunrider top to store as well. Used a Mopar bag to store the soft windows and a Jtops soft top boot to wrap the soft top with additional velcro straps.

Soft top storage.jpg

flipper

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saburu, honda, Wrangler (first one)
I have an unrelated question about freedom top .My new jeep didn't come with a storage bag for the top. Is that an option I should have choosen? Seems like it should be included

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine came with, but I just use a furniture blanket to stack between them and throw it in the back, if I'm at home, I just set them on the blanket in the garage. Takes too long to put them in the bag, like a minute. Check your Window Sticker, it should list on there if included.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have an unrelated question about freedom top .My new jeep didn't come with a storage bag for the top. Is that an option I should have choosen? Seems like it should be included
It would seem like something that should be included (but isn't), but never underestimate a manufacturer to make more money by charging extra for it. You should be able to find one aftermarket.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Isn’t there a recall notice for this? It should be provided.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I built a DIY hoist system for the hard top and hoist the soft top when I swap out the tops.
Sponsored