Folded Down Disconnected Soft Top Under Hard Top

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Has anyone tried folding their soft top and disconnecting the part that locks in the track / door surrounds -- then installing their hard top over it? 2018 JLU if it matters

I'm making a cross country road trip and don't have room to take the soft top totally off and lay it in the back of the jeep, but if it fits like described above, that would allow me to pick up this hard top I'm very keen on. I know the dual-top JKs shipped with the soft top under the hard top -- is there anything in particular that would prevent this from working?

Thanks so Much!!!!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You won't be able to get the hard top on unless you completely remove the soft top and put it sideways in the back with the seats folded down. It's too wide to put the hardtop over it. You'll also obviously have to remove the door surrounds.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Sounds like you might have to make a trip topless:like:... Pick nice days with nice weather:giggle:

OP
OP

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You won't be able to get the hard top on unless you completely remove the soft top and put it sideways in the back with the seats folded down. It's too wide to put the hardtop over it. You'll also obviously have to remove the door surrounds.
I appreciate the response! Have you taken measurements / and or tried this? If I can't make it work I'm going to have to pass on the hard top and that would be a pretty big bummer :(

OP
OP

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Sounds like you might have to make a trip topless:like:... Pick nice days with nice weather:giggle:
I wish that was an option -- It's a bout a 15 hour drive, so making a second trip just isn't in the cards :(

Sponsored

Jamonge

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Sting grey
Has anyone tried folding their soft top and disconnecting the part that locks in the track / door surrounds -- then installing their hard top over it? 2018 JLU if it matters

I'm making a cross country road trip and don't have room to take the soft top totally off and lay it in the back of the jeep, but if it fits like described above, that would allow me to pick up this hard top I'm very keen on. I know the dual-top JKs shipped with the soft top under the hard top -- is there anything in particular that would prevent this from working?

Thanks so Much!!!!

Thanks so Much!!!!
i actually received my Jeep from the dealership this way that you are referring. The soft top was disconnected from the roll bar mount and laying in the rear as if in the down position. The mounts were installed on the roll bar but when I got home I removed the hardtop by sliding it off the back. I had to install the door surrounds etc after as these need to be removed to install hardtop. So it can be done!

OP
OP

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
i actually received my Jeep from the dealership this way that you are referring. The soft top was disconnected from the roll bar mount and laying in the rear as if in the down position. The mounts were installed on the roll bar but when I got home I removed the hardtop by sliding it off the back. I had to install the door surrounds etc after as these need to be removed to install hardtop. So it can be done!
That's great news Jamonge -- Looks like it might be possible after all! So in your case, the soft top was completely disconnected from the mounts on the roll bar, but sort of laying down on the roll bar, kind of pressed against the rear window? Any other tips or hints you could give from what you remember about how it was laid out?

It would be pretty great if this worked out!

Cheers

Jamonge

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Sting grey
That's great news Jamonge -- Looks like it might be possible after all! So in your case, the soft top was completely disconnected from the mounts on the roll bar, but sort of laying down on the roll bar, kind of pressed against the rear window? Any other tips or hints you could give from what you remember about how it was laid out?

It would be pretty great if this worked out!

Cheers
Here is the only photo I have of it inside under the hardtop. It is lying down as if the top was down. It is still wrapped up in the shipping/storage cover. It is wide so you need to slide the hardtop on and off from the rear of the Jeep and not lift the top as the soft top bars lay on the ledge of the hardtop where it bolts to the frame. I took possession of my new Jeep this way from dealer. They asked me if I wanted them to install the brackets etc and remove the big box from the rear cargo area. Hope this helps. It was easy getting on and off with no issues.

921DF5E0-D6E4-4496-88EB-1928C01C3528.jpeg

OP
OP

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Here is the only photo I have of it inside under the hardtop. It is lying down as if the top was down. It is still wrapped up in the shipping/storage cover. It is wide so you need to slide the hardtop on and off from the rear of the Jeep and not lift the top as the soft top bars lay on the ledge of the hardtop where it bolts to the frame. I took possession of my new Jeep this way from dealer. They asked me if I wanted them to install the brackets etc and remove the big box from the rear cargo area. Hope this helps. It was easy getting on and off with no issues.

921DF5E0-D6E4-4496-88EB-1928C01C3528.jpeg
Awesome. My day is made! Thanks so much for the response!

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dual top JKs came with the hard top installed over the soft top from the factory. They came with a orange(?) warning tag; to remove one or the other, so the soft top wouldn't be damaged.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thanks so Much!!!!
Oh easy Jason (not).

Buy a no holes roof rack, say a Gobi. Slice the hard top into pieces that reassemble like this.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

(Hours spent.....150).

No sweat.;)

OP
OP

dido57

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In case anyone in the same scenario stumbles across this post in the future, it works! No problems at all getting the hard top on over the folded soft top

Bucaro

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Kia Sportage, MB GLS 550
Could you please post pics? Thank you!
Sponsored