Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back

ojones7

First Name
Owain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
So after reading a few positive and a few negative reviews of the @Flowmaster Exhaust American Thunder axle-back exhaust (PN 817837), we decided to go for it. The look and price were exactly what we wanted, plus trusting brand clout and the fact it would deliver on the right sound.

Undoubtedly, we experienced the exact same issue many have had and some have posted on here. To hopefully help those in the market for an axle-back, I wanted to create a dedicate thread to share my experiences and recommdation to go for another product. In hindsight, we would have gone with the Dynomax (http://www.dynomax.com/muffler-elimination-pipe-39537.html) and will probably pick it up eventually because Iā€™m still not happy with how the Flowmaster turned out.

Long story short, the OD/ID of the Flowmaster tube is basically the exact same as the stock tubing, making it impossible to fit on. Never like to be super negative about products, but this is kind of a joke from a company as big as Flowmaster. To try and get it on, we used a cheap exhaust expansion tool from Harbor Freight. I hope this and the below video will help the next guy out!

Sponsored

Last edited:

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Thanks for posting this up! I just received mine today - I saw the bad reviews about the fitment, but decided to take a chance anyway. I have not taken it out of the box yet, but Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll need to stop at HF first. I agree that itā€™s ridiculous that Flowmaster screwed this up!

OP
OP
ojones7

ojones7

First Name
Owain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Thanks for posting this up! I just received mine today - I saw the bad reviews about the fitment, but decided to take a chance anyway. I have not taken it out of the box yet, but Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll need to stop at HF first. I agree that itā€™s ridiculous that Flowmaster screwed this up!
Honestly, if you can return it and get the @DynoMax Exhaust instead, I would highly recommend that. Not sure what you paid, but the @Flowmaster Exhaust and expansion tool cost me almost $140. The Dynomax can be had for less than $100. Not to mention I think I spent 3 hours wrenching that expander because Iā€™m impatient and kept test fitting haha. Good luck with what you decide!

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Pretty sure any competent muffler shop can bend a pipe to replace your muffler. Why even bother with these premade ones that donā€™t fit properly?

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Thanks I actually took your advice and am sending it back. Not worth the hassle! I went with the Dynomax and saved like 30 bucks. But regardless Flowmaster should fix this ASAP!
Sponsored