Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Got it.

I need to research how to get plates and a Colorado title. I looks like I need some form filled out by an inspection station or something and then I can go in a register the Jeep.
any car dealership can do it for you . its a VIN verification to make sure your car isn't stolen
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just to point out the pricing I am renewing mine today, normally would be $722, luckily I can claim non-resident Military it's way cheaper! otherwise I would be using Oklahoma (previous duty station).
WOW!!!!!!!! Holy cow!!!!!

‘now I get what folks are saying.... I will have the “privilege” of registering my wife’s Mini too! Ouch!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/206-balanced-rock-road

Balanced Rock Road has turned into my favorite trail to recommend to people that may not be entirely confident in their rig or themselves. It's an easy trail and one that in my experience is not heavily traveled. As far as I know it is open. Near the top of the trail you can have some nice views of Pikes Peak. You'll follow the trail down to a lake. There are typically a decent number of people at the lake because there is a popular and apparently easy hiking trail to it. That hiking trail is what makes this such a great noob trail IMO. If everything goes completely wrong for you, you can easily walk out the bottom via the lake trail and odds are you'll see people there as well who can offer assistance if you need it. The lake is typically a good place for lunch and to wander around on foot. I've cast a few flies in there but so far have not been lucky. There are also a couple small spurs off of Balanced Rock Rd you can explore, but nothing that will get you lost or into serious trouble. One will take you to a nice overlook of the plains.

Go to Monument, CO (from Denver, I-25 south toward Colorado Springs). Take exit 161. This exit has you loop to the right so you're pointed North. Follow this to the light, which is Second Street and turn left (west, toward the mountains). Follow Second across the tracks until you come a T. Turn left. Follow that a bit (a mile?) and you'll come up on Dirty Woman Park on your left, turn west again (right, toward the mountains) onto Mount Herman Rd. As you go up this road to your left is Monument Rock that you can take a short walk to if you like. Just keep heading up Mount Herman, it's a ways but you'll eventually join onto Rampart Range Rd. Now people may tell you Rampart is closed, they're partially correct the closure gate is quite a distance farther north than where you're going to be at. Almost exactly 1 mile north of where you joined Rampart Range Rd is Balanced Rock. I don't recall it being marked very well, but there are several places where people like to shoot. Just follow the trail down, you'll soon be away from them.

When the trail does not have any snow on it, it is very easy. Last year there was a large rock that fell onto the trail near the bottom you had to go around but nothing at all to worry about, and right near the bottom is a place with some moguls on the trail that will test your articulation. Coming up the trail these moguls can stop you if you choose a bad line and have open diffs. But either backup and try a better line or turn on your lockers. No risk of body damage on the main trail, but some of the spurs can get tight up close to the trees. Take it slow and careful you'll be fine.

To get out just follow Balanced Rock Rd back up to Rampart Range Road. You can turn left (south) and head back down Mount Herman to Monument. You can follow Rampart Range Road south all the way to Woodland Park/Colorado Springs then take I-25 back north to Denver. Or, if you're still feeling froggy after Balanced Rock Road, when you hit Rampart Range Road, turn north. About 15 miles up Rampart Range Road you'll come to Dakan Road on your right. You can follow that and find yourself back in Castle Rock CO. Here is the Dakan Road description you'll be running it backwards to their desciption. https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/276-dakan-road. Dakan is also easy but coming this way you could easily miss the turn and find yourself at the gate that closes Rampart Range Road. If you hit the gate, just turn around and look for Dakan again. Dakan is well traveled and is popular with side by sides and dirt bikes. I believe there are some side roads that can add some extra time, but as I recall the area is marked well on the Jeep's map so it's unlikely you'll get terribly lost.
I’m still trying to get over the fact that they have a park called “Dirty Women Park”.
That beats the “Crack is Whack” park we have here in NYC

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The city says: "Dirty Woman Creek Park was named by the citizens of Monument in July of 1979. It is named for the woman who’s ranch was on the location where the park is now, who was known as the “Dirty Woman” because she allowed her animals to live in her home."
Lol.

I like Colorado already!

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
It sucked gas like a demon but it’s gas tank always lasted longer than our collective bladders so, no real issue there. 75mph-plus on much of the trip. Averaged about 17.6mpg, I think.
Sounds like a fast trip.

75+MPH and it averaged 17.6MPG and you think that's "sucking gas like a demon?!"

Other than my issue with your semantics, congrats on making the trip. I hope you like mountains and snow - CO is not a place I'd want to live (liberal politics and libtards = no way)

Enjoy your new lives in CO!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
any suggestions for a newbie?
Usually, after late July, the hills can be yours. When you decide to use the 4WD feature you sprang for, everything around Breckenridge is good wheeling. Wheeler Lake, Webster, Red Cone and Peak 10 are particularly fun. Whatever you do, don't touch your brakes while descending Red Cone and you'll be just fine as long as you're in 1st, 4 low. If you do touch the brakes and the rear begins to pass the front, keep your front tires headed down hill and use the accelerator to get out of a side skid before you roll over, all while disregarding the 4:30pm needle position on your tach. Just keep your tires on the ground and always turning. The trail flattens out just enough for the rpms to decrease a little before the shorter last drop. It offers the same thrill as passing Semis on a two lane Texas road when they're blocking your up hill view going 10 mph over the speed limit; plus there's scenery for your passengers to enjoy on the way down.

For a little practice on the way to Breckenridge, take a leisurely drive up Antero, then to discover the capabilities of your 4:1 T case, do Iron Chest Mine in the hills southwest of Bueni; turn around and take the next hill NW over to Tincup, then off to Taylor, Italian and Pearl. Turn around at the top of Pearl and from Carbondale, tarmac over to Marble, returning via Schofield. Once over Schofield, you can void your warranty in Chinaman's Gulch and Carnage Canyon while staying in Bueni.

If you plan to keep your warranty, drive a little further SW over a few hills to the San Juans. Everything there is perfect for a newbie. Best circuit is Blackbear/Imogene. Second best is the Alpine Loop to include a side trip up and down Poughkeepsie Gulch. What Texans soon discover is when you flatten it out, Colorado is quite a bit bigger than Texas. Drop the Texas accent when you need help or find yourself in a Colorado bar or on a ski slope. Even more importantly, avoid the accent when offering help.

Blanca Peak and Holy Cross are achievements to consider after wheeling a couple years before venturing toward Moab. If you drive well, your rig without mods can do it all, but it won't be the same shinny $55k wonder after you spend a few years wheeling Colorado; by then it'll be ready for Utah. On the web, Imogene is rated 4.5 out of 5 in difficulty for Colorado wheeling. Around Moab, it would get a 2. Coloradans have a difficult time getting used to what that noise is while driving up a series of two foot steps on Utah slickrock. Always best to go wheeling with another vehicle even if it's a Toyota.
Sponsored