Flat tow paint protection

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Looking for paint protection suggestions for my wife’s new 3.0D JLUR when it gets built. We plan on flat towing it behind our truck camper.

Thanks
Jim
Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
First off, make sure you have good mud flaps on the towing truck. Maybe one of those that goes all the way across, attaching around the receiver? I've never had anything damage my toad behind the coach (knock on wood), and it has a flap that goes all the way across.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for paint protection suggestions for my wife’s new 3.0D JLUR when it gets built. We plan on flat towing it behind our truck camper.

Thanks
Jim
If you are looking for a temporary solution to protect the paint during towing, painters tape will work. Also another solution is clear contact paper that you line drawers with.
You can pick it up either at Homedepot or the likes.
Both are easy to apply and easy to peel off. I have done this when driving cross country in my M3 and in my Audi. It really keeps the paint from getting nicked up because those cars are so low to the ground. The Jeep is lifted so I dont worry about it too much.

A more permanent solution is Xpel or 3m Clear bra paint protection film. Got this applied to the front of the M2, it works.

Last edited:

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
You need to think of the RV too. The Jeep tires can throw rocks at the RV through the space between the bumper and the fender. Took me a while to figure out why and how I was getting chips on the rear cap of our motorhome

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon

Thanks
Jim
Jim,

You've got some options. You could do a temporary film like XPEL TRACWRAP which is a DIY paint protection film you can put on any areas you want protected then just peel off when you've arrived or want to remove it. Or, get a more permanent film installed like ULTIMATE PLUS paint protection film that comes with a 10 year warranty, is non-yellowing, and more.

If you need help locating an XPEL installer, check out our XPEL Certified Installer Locator HERE.

Let us know if we can answer any questions for you or help in any way.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Mine only has about 5K tow miles but I haven't seen any issues. I do have an aftermarket bumper and have a clear bra. I tow mine behind a fifth wheel.
Sponsored